Non-religious Local Help In Middle Tennessee
Posted: August 22, 2016, 5:22 AM

Hello, I'm a female alcoholic. I'm functional. I'm married, 23 years. I'm a mother. I say I'm functional but in all honesty, I drink every day in an effort to get through each day. I know I have a problem. I have reached out to AA in my area, however, they are VERY Christian based. The meetings are all at churches and those of which I've visited, involve a lot of prayer based on Christian faith.

I was born and baptized, Lutheran. I was later confirmed in my teen years, Lutheran. (Both of these under my mother's insistence, even though she was constantly drunk throughout my childhood and adult years.)

She died of Cirrhosis in 2011. I have yet to shed a tear over her passing.

I am reaching out for help. I REALLY want to find a group of my locals in a safe environment to become sober.

The only AA meetings in my area are in churches, and the three I've recently visited only held out a hand to me while hugging others after I'd admitted I was Agnostic.

I live in Gallatin, TN. I'm reaching out. I want and need help. Please.

I DO NOT WANT PRAYERS as a means of relief or forgiveness.

I am in need of true solutions and therapy. I am in need of a community of people who don't rely on prayers to heal the sick.

I want, and I'm asking --no, begging--, for some help your site and community can lend me in order for me to get out of HELL.

Please. I don't need church. I need help, please I don't know where else to go now
Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer some suggestions.

I remain, very much obliged

Janine
Posted: August 22, 2016, 8:29 AM

Most of our meetings here in Southwestern Ontario are in church basements as well.

I pay little attention to which denomination as God (as I understand Him) is
AA's focus. I tell folks I am a spiritual "independent"

We close with The Lord's Prayer and I know my prayer goes straight to my God (as I understand Him) - as I am coming to understand Him.

I began AA in 1989 as an Agnostic too but that didn't work too well for me.
I came to realize 2 things about "A Higher Power"
1) There is One
2) I'm not IT

I think that's why The 3rd Pertinent Idea in HOW IT WORKS is:
God could and would if HE were SOUGHT - not "found" -- SOUGHT

I’m sure you aren’t the only "outsider" in the meetings.
Find a good sponsor and work the Program. It will fall into place.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
Posted: August 22, 2016, 9:35 PM

Hi, Booper2.
There's a lot of fear going on in that post, and a lot of honesty, too.

Welcome. If you want to get sober, AA can help, so rather than put conditions on how you need to be comfortable BEFORE getting sober, let's try putting NO conditions on anything and start by just having a desire to quit drinking, okay? Don't try to solve the whole problem right now.

I had the whole spiritual versus religious thing all bass-ackwards myself, and it wasn't until I FINISHED working the Steps that I discovered a relationship with God AS I UNDERSTAND HIM as opposed to how everyone else SAYS I should understand Him.

TOTALLY different life.

send me an email sgramling @ hotmail.com if you need to (put ARG in subject line) , but don't beat yourself up for thinking AA is a cult or something. It's how alcoholics skew everything and it's completely normal--don't let it deter you from getting sober. More will be revealed.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
Posted: August 22, 2016, 9:48 PM

37066 Mon 7:00 PM OD G AA( GALLATIN AA) 165 East Bledsoe St
37066 Mon 7:00 PM OD/WMN SEARCHERS 1531 Hunt Club Blvd Suite 300
37066 Tue 12:00 PM OD G AA( GALLATIN AA) 165 East Bledsoe St
37066 Tue 5:30 PM OD CAME TO BELIEVE Cumberland Heights 1531 Hunt Club Blvd Suite 300
37066 Tue 8:00 PM OD UNITED GROUP Episcopal Church of Our Saviour 704 Hartsville Pike
37066 Wed 7:00 PM OD/LIT G AA( GALLATIN AA) 165 East Bledsoe St
37066 Thu 12:00 PM OD G AA( GALLATIN AA) 165 East Bledsoe St
37066 Thu 8:00 PM CD UNITED GROUP Episcopal Church of Our Saviour 704 Hartsville Pike
37066 Fri 6:00 PM OD SEARCHERS 1531 Hunt Club Blvd Suite 300
37066 Fri 7:00 PM OD G AA( GALLATIN AA) 165 East Bledsoe St
37066 Sat 10:00 AM OD SEARCHERS 1531 Hunt Club Blvd Suite 300
37066 Sat 12:00 PM OD G AA( GALLATIN AA) 165 East Bledsoe St
37066 Sat 8:00 PM OD UNITED GROUP Episcopal Church of Our Saviour 704 Hartsville Pike 37066 Sun 9:30 AM OD/MEDITATION NO BOUNDARIES 1531 Hunt Club Blvd Suite 300
37066 Sun 4:00 PM OD SEARCHERS 1531 Hunt Club Blvd Suite 300
37066 Sun 7:00 PM OD G AA( GALLATIN AA) 165 East Bledsoe St

Just a reminder, B2. Everyone in AA has some of the same convictions and hangups as you've mentioned--it's what we do. Don't let your perceptions sway you from getting the help that AA offers. Your experience with Religiosity is very similar to mine--and I was relieved to find out there is a solution. Don't let anyone keep you from it. Ask questions, seek answers, keep coming back. You are worth it.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
  top of page  Top