post replypost new topic
How Did You Know When You Were At The Right Dose?

Posted: December 16, 2018, 2:41 PM
Right now I'm at 95mgs for the most part I feel it's good. I'm not feeling sick but I'm still craving and having anxiety. I can tell with every increase it gets better. I just hate that three day period while adjusting to the dose cause it gives me pannic attack's which is weird but they disappear and I fee better then I did before. My Doctor makes it seem like my dose is high making me feel uncomfortable to ask for an increase. I don't know why cause people go higher then 95mg. Wonder if I should see a different doctor at the clinic? Or is that frowned uppon. When your at the right dose do you have no more cravings and anxiety or does that not go away? Thank you for taking the time reading this and i appreciate any help

Posted: December 31, 2018, 6:24 PM
The "right" dose of methadone is one that relieves all physical withdrawal for at least 24 hours. You should not be feeling drowsy and most definitely should not be nodding if you are at the correct dose. When on the correct dose for YOU, no one should even know you are taking it.

Methadone helps with cravings, but do not expect it to eliminate them! Methadone is just ONE tool in the opiate recovery toolbox. Methadone should make cravings less severe so that they are manageable. You need to address the anxiety and cravings, which can lead to a relapse of not properly dealt with. A good therapist should be able to help you find coping mechanisms to relieve any residual cravings and anxiety. It is possible that your anxiety lead you to self medicate with opiates...I have seen many people who are just crippled with anxiety get a script for Xanax or valium etc only to realize down the road that the very medication they are using to help knock out anxiety is causing rebound anxiety. Benzodiazepines should be used for extremely short period of time because it too is physically addictive and it causes rebound anxiety for a good portion of those who use them.

As for your dose. 95 mg. Is not a high dose. This medication has been studied in the USA since its approval in 1947. Every study I have read says basically the same thing. The average therapeutic dose is between 80-120 with outliers needing more or less. Just remember this is YOUR treatment and if you feel that you need an increase, do not be afraid to ask. If you are on a sub-therapeutic dose, what is the point of being on Methadone? I personally chose methadone because by the time I was ready to start treatment, my tolerance was too high for suboxone, which has a ceiling effect and methadone doesnt.

Methadone allowed me to feel well physically so I could focus on my mental health and emotional healing. Get to a comfy dose and then begin the hard work of recovery!
post replypost new topic