next >  post replypost new topic
Off Methadone Totally Worth It!!

Posted: December 2, 2017, 8:27 PM
I've been off methadone for 2 years and almost 4 months. At times it was a struggle, there have have been good days and bad days, defiantly more good days, I promise!!. I can tell you that it is totally worth everything. Not being dependent on medication is such a stress relief. Look you can do it, first of all talk to your Doctor and then if they say it's all good then just go for it. This is my recommendations below:

1. Taper slowly
2. Exercise daily even when you don't feel like it.
3. Eat healthy, trust me you are what you eat!!
4. Drink a ton of water!!!
5. Don't read anything negative!!!!!!!!!

Posted: December 20, 2017, 6:32 PM
Hi mojo! I remember you..I'm very happy for you..but am a little envious as I can't say I am as happy as you are in life. I just hit 4years the 14th. I will say I am happy with my decision and NEVER looking back
I did find myself dependent on neurotin/gabapentin about almost 3 years off methadone. So while it sucks..Hey If I kicked that..this should be easy breezy and have gone down. Anyway I'm rambling.
Glad you are doing well and happy holidays:)

Posted: December 21, 2017, 11:25 PM
Marykat, can I ask why you went to gabapentin? Were you still having paws symptoms or was it for another reason? Thanks for checking in btw.
itspossible

Posted: December 23, 2017, 7:30 AM
I'm here for you marykate, you were one of the lights of inspiration for me during my darkest days..I truly mean that.I hope you can find some answers for your situation..
Randomperson

Posted: December 24, 2017, 4:55 PM
Hi Marykat........I'm Random. I don't know you and I'm only on day 3 myself BUT if I can offer any encouragement it would be this........YOU have done what very few people can! YOU beat the deamon of Methadone and 4 YEARS!!!!! You should feel so PROUD!!! And if you were a light to my friend (and my own light) Itspossible then you should feel DOUBLY PROUD!! Life will always have it's challenges BUT we choose how we handle those challenges. We all are here for you. Plus it's Christmas time........a time of reflection, togetherness and love. It's the closing of one chapter and the beginning of the next. I wish you nothing but love, peace and happiness in 2018!!! It's a NEW start and I hope it brings the changes you're seeking.....peace

@Mojo I jumped on the 22nd! It's day 3 for me! Not feeling as great as I would like but I'm so grateful to be DONE! Thank you for all your words of encouragement and down right good advice:-). You shoul feel so proud! Merry Christmas to you and yours and may 2018 be the best year yet!:-)

@ itspossible YOU are a light my friend! You, overfifty, mojo, George and needhelp have all been instrumental in my journey.........I don't have the words! Here's to a New Year where we all THRIVE! P.S. how is the smoking going??

Posted: January 5, 2018, 1:52 AM
Wow..I'm overwhelmed and crying like a baby right now. Damn...I just came on here to respond to (need help) about gabapentin cause I didn't have energy to do when I read. I'm glad I waited. Feeling down as s*** right now and decided to respond. Seeing you guys give a f*** got me all emotional. But that's special. @it's possible..that is part of all what made this s*** worth it, knowing I could possibly be of any help. @random your words mean a lot. I know i should be proud. And I was...I think as time has gone on, I think well if this is all I have to be proud of...then?? But I'm sure there is more. I just don't SEE it right now. I wish I had stayed on this board to know exactly where you guys are at. You guys are in early stages and need so much encouragement. And here you are giving to me. But I know that's ok.

@123 yes I did experience paws like a motherf***er..but didn't get on gabapentin until year and half ago. I was off all drugs (except klonopins) and started smoking weed daily about two years off. Might sound weird but felt like set my sobriety back. I had something to dull myself a bit and my brain was still repairing. So quit smoking after about five months. I live with my sister who is on all kinds of meds. She was constantly diagnosing me with this or that. Urging me to get on antidepressants. Been there. Not for me. Boyfriend calling me Crazy etc. My sister is prescribed gabapentin off label for anxiety/depression. My ultimate decision I know..but I talked to doc about since I have had bad experiences with ssris. Well that ONE 300 capsule got me high. Can't quite explain it..but high. Sooo..I found ways to take to keep the high going and Dr was writing multiple scripts not realizing. Tolerance builds QUICK. So yeah, I gave you the long (but short for me!) version of that. Its a lame drug.....maybe good for immediate w/d. Anyway..I'm rambling. I'm proud of all of you guys, and you are a reminder to me the hell I went through. And yes life can get better if you make it better. Much love and happy new year!!

Posted: April 15, 2018, 8:40 AM
2 years 8 months off methadone, I continue to feel better all the time. I promise if I got off this stuff you can too!!! Just remember before you begin a taper, see your Doctor! I saw my Doctor and he said get off this medication, so I let the clinic know and started the taper process. I tapered slowly but more important I started to exercise everyday. The more you exercise the better off you will be. Exercise is great for your physically and emotionally, plus you sweat and that will get the methadone out of your system faster. The only thing I didn't do that I wish I did was eat better. I now eat the Keto diet which is lots of vegetables, NO SUGAR and no bread or pasta. There are so many benefits for the Keto diet!!!

I still have to take blood pressure medication but I am 47 and weigh as much as I did when I was 27. Lots of lifting weights and cardio!!

Remember do not read anything negative getting off methadone is possible I promise!!

Posted: January 12, 2019, 7:12 PM
3 yrs & 4 months off methadone and I feel great!!

Look you can do it, first of all talk to your Doctor and then if they say it's all good then just go for it. This is my recommendations below:

1. Taper slowly
2. Exercise daily even when you don't feel like it.
3. Eat healthy, trust me you are what you eat!!
4. Drink a ton of water!!!
5. Don't read anything negative!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
Overfifty55

Posted: January 16, 2019, 10:54 PM
Hi mojo1:). Congratulations on 3years and 4 months ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ Thatโ€™s so cool. I agree with your advice on quitting. Iโ€™m glad your doing good. Have a great week. 2019 is already proving to be a good year.........take care and keep doing what your doing cause itโ€™s working. ๐Ÿ˜€..........peace

Posted: February 4, 2019, 5:26 PM
This gives me hope! I am 27 I have been in MAT since November 2017. I was on a stable dose of 135 the entire time and in September 2018 I decided it was time to taper. I decided to get help when my pain pill addiction made me hit MY rock bottom. I can say I have never done any other kinds of drugs only the pills but it was getting to the point that I knew other drugs were going to become a possibility, so thankfully with the help of my amazing supportive husband I went top my local Methadone clinic. I have had success so far only failing my very first drug test. I knew I didn't want to have to depend on this Methadone my entire life. I want to feel normal again whatever this new normal will look like. I felt like it was time I am at a good place I am starting to work out and eat healthier we are buying a new home just a a lot of good things, so here I am currently on 50. I have tapered from 135 to 50 with no issue yet. I say that because I actually forgot to take my medication one morning before I left the house and by 2:00 I was in full blow withdraw the cold sweats the runny nose my whole body was aching my legs were cramping my knees were hurting, I mean the worst withdraw. When I tired to stop the pills cold trukey the withdraws were bad like most know, death seemed better. I got home took it and after a couple hours started to feel better but it absolutly scared the heck out of me. I dont want to get this far doing this good to taper to the point of having killer withdraws again. I am scared to death but I am still going to taper I have hope....
Randomperson

Posted: February 5, 2019, 12:57 AM
November2017 you can do it! The key is tapering and listening to your body. As you get lower you may need to stay at that dose longer before you drop again but with time and patience you can do it! I did a very slow taper and I had some withdrawals when I finally jumped BUT I was able to work full time and care for my daughter so really how bad could they have been? The hardest was the sleep issues and some anxiety but your doctor can help with those. If you want it bad enough you can do it with minimal withdrawals. I would also encourage you to post your journey here because the support and encouragement is AMAZING!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ’• I wish you the best for this new year!
Been25

Posted: February 7, 2019, 7:42 PM
You say that you just quit after 4 years on Methadone,is that right, You were down to 40 MG and just quit. I don,t believe you, Inthink you want to give everyone hope but you should be honest. What did you take during you withdraw period , You See even if you got down to 40 mg the Body adjust to what is in it, You would feel the same withdraw as a person on 80 mg , I have seen people get down to 40 mg and try to just stop, they still get sick, shaking , nervous, sweating , sick, so don,t try to tell me you just quit. Oh work out, eat right, do a little jig. jump down tun around pick a bale of cotton . Did you smoke pot, drink, take something else ? what was it? You did not just quit. Sorry I don,t believe you.

This post has been edited by moderator on February 8, 2019, 10:08 AM

Posted: February 7, 2019, 8:50 PM
I tapered slowly!!! Sorry I don't know where you got that information.
Been25

Posted: February 7, 2019, 11:28 PM
To Mojo : I thought that was what you Posted , If i read it wrong my Bad ,sorry for the mistake. When i went back to Find it it was gone , Very strange, I usually do not make that kind of era because i try to read something two or three times. well nobody is perfect ,My bad

*** Please do not post personal contact information. Thank you, the moderators ***

This post has been edited by moderator on February 8, 2019, 9:59 AM

Posted: July 7, 2019, 7:52 PM
Hey everyone I hope you all are doing well. Like I have stated in my post before, I talked to my doctor , started to taper slowly, exercised almost everyday and drank a lot of water. Next month will be 4 years since I had my last dose. I would change only one thing and that is eat healthy during the process. I eat so much better now and lost like 40lbs, still love going to the gym because it helps out in so many areas.

Was it easy the answer is no but you can do it and don't ready anything negative.

Posted: August 27, 2019, 5:32 PM
Can you describe, if you remember, your taper and how you felt each day with no methadone for the first dats?

Posted: August 27, 2019, 11:11 PM
It definitely felt different but it was positive because I just took one day at a time, exercising helped me so much because it produced natural endorphins. Each day I looked at it as a victory!!

Posted: September 1, 2019, 10:30 AM
I am about 1.5 mg per day and will wait till next level of stability sets in.

From 40mg to 20mg (politician enforced) was too fast and disrupted sleep. After a few months without resolution, I started my own taperโ€”very slowly.

Posted: August 22, 2021, 8:05 PM
I hope everyone out there is doing well. It has been a little over 6 years since I had my dose. I used to get a lot of encouragement from this site. I have always said that getting off was a tough but completely worth it. If there is someone out there who thinks it is impossible, think again because it can be done.
just sum guy

Posted: January 18, 2022, 7:38 AM
i love that you got free, but that you must tapper off it is fear monger stuff to keep you on a horridly addictive deathbed medication. i left the program and tried to return 200mgs of poison. THEY MADE ME LEAVE WITH IT. guess what? i did not die and am alive and well by our creator's grace. and now that i am out of methadone hell i am disgusted that methadone clinics are allowed to sell a deathbed medication and claim it "recovery" IT IS NOT, NEVER WAS.
post replypost new topic