post replypost new topic
Medical Dextoxing, But Scared Now

Posted: February 22, 2017, 4:57 PM
I'm in the middle of a medical detox through my clinic. My highest dose was 120mg and I've been going down 5mg every 2 weeks. The concern I'm having is am I still going to go through withdrawals? How bad will they be? And what can I start doing now too ease the withdrawal symptoms? I'm down to 50mg and counting and my hope is to keep the momentum going and keep going down 5mg till the end. My clinic says that I can do it anyway I feel comfortable with, they say usually around 20mg people want to slow the tapering down from 5mg to 2mg every 2 weeks, which is cool to know I can do that, but I don't want too put it off any longer. If I could just stop now I would, but with 2 kids, a job, and a household too run that wouldn't be feasible or smart. So any suggestions, comments, anything will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

This post has been edited by 50mgand counting on February 22, 2017, 5:05 PM

Posted: February 22, 2017, 5:20 PM
hello and welcome :) yes they are right when said once you get down to 20 to go very slowly on that way you dont need to feel withdrawal ..i would suggest going down 2 mills every few weeks and once you are down to 2 then stay on that for 3,4 weeks ... if you can get your doctor to prescribe you Valium or some other muscle relaxant would help (my husband done that) You really should read on this subject, plenty of other people posts how they stop with methadone without any physical pain , one of those posts is from Overfifthy! I am sure others will come with other suggestions for your transition to go smoothly as possibile but don't be scared it really can be done and don't read to much into other people horror stories .. we are here to support you so pls stick around :)
I think you are doing great and you are very brave indeed, hope you succeed!

Posted: February 22, 2017, 5:21 PM
Slow and steady wins the race! They tell you to go slow, not to keep you at the clinic, but because doing it fast usually leads to withdrawal and relapse.

When you get to 50 or so, even 5 milligrams every two weeks becomes a lot. Some have had success going quickly, but the slower you go, the longer your body has to adjust and then you won't put yoursself in the position of withdrawaling.

There is a poster on here,Overfifty,who successfully tapered. Her thread is a great read.

I am back on methadone for the last three years. It is what works for me and, for now, I have no plans to taper. However, I was on it about ten years ago. I weaned down by 5 mgs. every two weeks until I hit 60 mg. Then I tapered 2mg every two weeks until I got to 30, then I slowed down to 1 mg every two weeks until I was done. It took a long time, but I had No withdrawals whatsoever!

Unfortunately, I came off because of other people's opinions, and getting off was the wrong choice for me. Make sure you are coming off because you are in solid recovery with no illicit drug use for at least two years, you are not having cravings and are working a strong recovery program. Do not stop because someone thinks you "should be off by now". Addiction is incidious, and if methadone allows you to live a full life and keeps your addiction at bay, then I wouldn't hesistate to keep taking it.

A lot of people who are doing well decide to jump off without realizing that they are doing well BECAUSE THE METHADONE IS WORKING!

If you truly think you are ready..go slow. If you find yourself having withdrawal symptoms or cravings, go back up a couple milligrams until your body stabilizes. Then try again, but slower! It is not a race. Good luck! You can do it!

Posted: February 22, 2017, 6:09 PM
50 & counting. Take it slow. I'm in the process of tapering at this time.
I also was on 120 at my highest,That was about 18 months ago.
Started 10 mgs. per month. Then 5mgs. per month.
At 35 mgs. I took things into my own hands. 1mg. per week.
I go to the clinic once a month. I'm on 22 mg. now. Feel fine.
I'm taking it slow. You should too. You will be fine, as long as this is the right time for you.
I agree with lolligee, do it at your pace, how you feel comfortable.

This post has been edited by poolman on February 22, 2017, 6:12 PM

Posted: March 6, 2017, 6:30 PM
I agree 100%. Doing it slowly is the key.
Since December 2016 I have been lowering my dose because I have no further need to be 105 mg every day. I am doing 1mg a month. I don't feel a thing, obviously. I've been clean for over 23 years. It worked for me, but at this point because its working I have no plans to get off and I am way over 60.

I haven't been around on this board for quite a while as life happens . I am SO glad to see the methadone board is doing so well.

The key to a successful detox is in doing it SLOW. As you get down into lower numbers you must give your body time to catch up. While you may start at 5 mg a month, that wont be a great idea as you get into lower numbers.

You didn't get addicted overnight and heroin/opioid addiction is a BIG deal. Its the hardest drug to kick, even with help. Take your time, there should be NO RUSH. Don't let friends, family, etc dictate when you should stop or when. Listen to your body and your brain. If you don't feel right don't keep going or make some changes. There's nothing wrong with taking a little longer to do something that's right.

The people I see fail most often are the ones who think they're gonna fly right through a detox, doing it fast and lying about how they really feel and then there are the ones who let outside influences rule their recovery instead of standing up and doing what's best for THEIR recovery. After all, it isn't the outsiders who are going through this. You cannot let others decide what's best for you.
If you don't do it your own way(like if you choose to stay on MMT) you are looking at going in and out of recovery because of failed treatment plans, periods of using to feel OK and probably numerous attempts at detoxing instead of doing it the right way regardless of what someone else sees as a bad way to go. A lot of people think methadone is trading one addiction for another. In a sense it is but the alternative to MMT is using illegal drugs and all the crappolla that goes with it. Its your choice.

This is for anyone who is detoxing or thinking about it . Any questions about how methadone works? Read "Your Brain On Opiates", it's also a great read for people who judge methadone without knowing why and how it works. It can be found under Most Popular Topics on the left side of this page.

well, I've said my piece.. I also want to say HI to Constantine. How are ya girl????? I miss yakking at ya.

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: March 7, 2017, 12:57 AM
Granny !!!!! How the hell are you ?.... Sooo good to see you again ... All is well as well as all can be for me.....Hope everything is good for you !

Con
Cyprille

Posted: April 27, 2017, 6:41 AM
I devised my own reduction schedule and what it basically involves is letting myself fully stabilise on each reduced dose before dropping again.

I record the symptoms I have when I am on the edge of a dose not being enough and I record my behaviour and feelings so I can identify when a dose has been accommodated and I am ready to drop again.

My biggest fear is restless legs. I will do anything to avoid this but I can handle the other symptoms. The only thing that will not be controlled is restless legs.

I am now on 3.5mls and looking to drop again next week. How do I know? I don't crave a little extra before bed, am able to sleep through the night, awaking clucking at 0630 ish. I shall be dropping very slowly though by .5mls to avoid damaging my confidence with unnecessary clucking. I don't like titrating upwards because I have over-estimated my ability to cope on a lower dose because it risks triggering addictive thought processes. Stability is key for me.

This is it for me because my source dried up, leaving me with enough M to get me through a home detox. I will have no more access to it (non-scene) so I feel pretty confident that when it is over, it will be over.
post replypost new topic