post replypost new topic
Calories In Methadone

Posted: August 2, 2013, 7:14 PM
I have been going to the methadone clinic since October 2012. I looked up online how to prevent weight gain and read a post from a girl that said she never weighed a lb over 115 until she started Methadone treatment 6 years ago. She now weighs 180. She said during the 1st year of treatment she craved sweets all the time, but after that she didn't crave sweets nearly as much and she started eating better. Even with these changes her weight remained at 180. She said her doctor told her, "believe it or not, that little bit of methadone has so many calories and that is where your weight gain is coming from.

Until I read this post, I have NEVER heard anyone even mention Methadone having calories. Even in a Health Group at my clinic 98% of people said they gained weight after starting Methadone, but calories were never brought up.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? I tried to find more information online but couldn't so I'm hoping it isn't true. But I still became very curious.

I would appreciate any information on this subject.

Posted: December 15, 2013, 11:45 PM
wow I had no idea either. Thanks for sharing

--------------------
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” – Socrates

Click here for the best evidence-based addiction program I have found

Posted: December 19, 2013, 3:10 AM
That is disgusting a Doctor would lie to you like that. NO! Methadone does not have a calorie count so high that it is possible to put on 65 in a year because of it. My biggest concern is you would believe it. Use common sense here.

--------------------
I can quit anytime. I did it a million times.

Posted: January 6, 2014, 8:17 PM
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment...session*id*val*

Methadose®, cherry oral concentrate does contain sucrose syrup (a natural sugar) to deter potential injection of the product. However, in a 100mg dose there are only about fifteen calories 1.5 calories in each milliliter of Methadose)--about the same calories in one Life Saver candy and ten times less than in a single glass of lemonade or Pepsi. (This also means that the amount of sugar in this methadone product would not be harmful for persons with diabetes.)

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
— Hunter S. Thompson[COLOR=blue]

Posted: January 7, 2014, 11:21 PM
Hi Jack,
I just posted a message to you on the wrong page...duh....its on the "has anyone stopped taking methadone post....
granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
helen

Posted: May 12, 2016, 10:54 PM
i have just discovered that my gp has made an error, if you can say that. I am on 100mls per day. Last year after 5 yrs i was finaly prescribed hepatitus treatment, brand new - only 3 months, v.expensive. I asked my gp if i could have the pysephone pills, no problem. Three months before the treatment started the Dr. in charge of the hep upset me because i was overweight, I was on sugar free meth. I finnished the hep pills end of last sept. - just found out when he put me back on the linctus, appx. 6 months ago it contains sucrose - 5mls - 2.2gms sucrose - 1oomls of methadone - 44.4gms of sucrose which is appx 178 calories per day. I discussed with him why the change and also my weight gain, he implied that pills were being sold on the black market. I am so upset I am thinking of getting legal advice, he dosn't know that he has made a mistake, I only found out the meth had sugar in it 4 days ago. Sorry to have gone on, {there is more], but this is ridiculous, I am stunned to learn that I am not alone.
Evie

Posted: October 3, 2017, 8:19 PM
So.... if you are on methadone, (and I am), generally... (underline, underline)... a little bit of extra sugar/calories is a) the least of your (our) worries, and possibly not even close to the worst/unhealthiest dietary, or lifestyle choice ever made.
Just saying.

Posted: October 8, 2017, 1:11 PM
@Helen..Why is your doctor giving you methadone linctus? That is very concerning! The linctus form of methadone is for treating cough, it is NOT to be used to treat opiate addiction! Not only is the sucrose an issue, but the linctus also contains acohol.. Here is some info I found

This medicine contains small amounts of ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per 5ml. It contains colouring
agents (E110 and E102) which may cause allergic reactions. It also contains 2.47g of sucrose per 5ml dose.
This should be taken into account in patients with diabetes mellitus.
This medicine contains Methadone and should not be used to treat opiate addiction.
post replypost new topic