post replypost new topic
Freedom

Posted: October 14, 2015, 2:34 PM
Hey everybody~

I was thinking that many recovery milestones are dates. But so many of the gifts associated with a life without drugs and alcohol are a state of being. For me, the one that I'm forever celebrating is Freedom. I am FREE.

I no longer need a pill just to get out of bed and face the day. The beautiful morning was lost to me for 22 years.
I no longer need a pill to keep a promise. I can mark my calendar and people now believe me when I promise to be there.
I no longer need a pill to enjoy life. I show up and laugh at the beautiful efforts of my kids and grand kids as they learn to navigate their own lives.
I can take a trip. I can plan to stay 2 weeks, and then change my mind and stay a month. I can handle a layover or a canceled flight without fear of going into withdrawal.
I no longer have to sneak into a bathroom to swallow pills.
I am transparent. I have nothing to hide.

There are so many other things that remind me of how free I am. These are but a few. There are many other gifts that are woven into freedom. The freedom to help another sick and suffering soul and the happiness that's a byproduct of living a principled life.

I go to my AA/NA meetings. I have a sponsor that guides my journey through the 12 steps. I have a higher power that I truly believe in today, not just the idea of one from my childhood. I am vigilant regarding my precious gift of freedom from the bonds of a chemical. A pretty sweet deal when I think of all the hours and thought I put into the high cost of low living.

My recovery milestone is I am free. And as long as I don't drink or drug, no matter what. One day at a time, I can stay free.

--------------------
" Many times I sought the lighthouse
The familiar beam in the dark
Looking for the comfort
Radiating from its spark;
Today I turn that inward
No longer am I the seeker
I am not just the lighthouse
I am the light -
And lighthouse keeper. "

Posted: October 15, 2016, 9:22 AM
"The High cost of Low livng" good phrase, I like it.

Congrat's on your recovery.

Posted: October 30, 2016, 11:43 AM

Lighthouses don't run all over the place looking for ships to save ....
They just stand and shine.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
post replypost new topic