post replypost new topic
3 Years

Posted: November 22, 2006, 11:42 AM
Wow, three years ago today I was done drinking and drugging, I was blessed with the gift of desperation and I was willing to go to any length (to stay sober and clean) and I still am. I called my local AA Central Office and it was suggested that I go to the 12:00 noon meeting, and it was a Sunday, at our local Alano club. I was told if I was able to go to liquor stores and bars by myself I could get to a meeting by myself. That day changed my life completely. I got a Sponsor that very day, I've held on to my sobriety date, I've gone completely through the 12 Steps and the 12 Traditions, with my Sponsor and continue to work the Steps and Traditions in my life on a daily basis, I get to as many meetings as I can and I am of service by taking commitments and giving back what was so freely given to me. I have a Higher Power, whom I know as God, and put my faith into God and know that as long as I take action, the outcome is up to God and then I can move into acceptance. I've learned to trust the process. I know that for me it is "slowbriety", lol...I don't mean to come across as "tooting my own horn", I'm just sharing with you what it takes for me to stay sober and clean one day at a time. I hope this post will let anyone out there know who is still struggling with this disease and is sick and tired of being sick and tired that they can have their life back too. If you are white knuckling sobriety, you can stop doing that and be happy, joyous and free...don't get me wrong, life is still in session and I have had a lot of obstacles and challenges come way during my sobriety, but for me, pain is the touchstone of growth, and thank goodness I know I am not cured from this affliction and thank God I remain teachable. You see, I truly thought that I would never get "it", that I would die a hopeless alcoholic/addict woman....(I was in active addiction and alcoholism for 28 years) but God had a different plan for me for which I am grateful. Happy Thanksgiving all...I wish you the gift of sobriety, signing this post in utmost gratitude to all of you who have carried me, along with God and my fellowship, through some of the most difficult situations as of late. Remember easy does it.

This post has been edited by VWGirl on November 24, 2006, 11:16 PM

--------------------
Peace & Serenity, VWGirl

Posted: July 8, 2011, 11:33 PM
Checking back in as "VWGeri" versus "VWGirl" - got 7 and 1/2 years now...thought I'd re-post what I wrote back on my 3 year birthday!
post replypost new topic