Is Counciling Now Mandatory For Suboxone?
WVgirl
Posted: April 12, 2017, 3:26 PM

First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who reads and offers feedback!!!

My boyfriend has been using Suboxone for the last year trying to withdrawal from the Oxys and has done wonderfully. For the first 6 months, he was buying the Suboxone off the street, but after a large market price increase. He decided to start going to the Dr. and getting it the correct way.

He has worked the program as the Physician instructed, but they are now telling him that it is mandatory that everyone in the Sub practice must go see a councilor every two weeks. This charge is still an extra $90 a visit for group counseling.

By the time he pays the extra $180 for counseling per month and two Dr. visits per month. It has become tremendously cheaper to get it off the street again. :(

This is just and another hurdle for those who are serious about recovery. The only one a group session benefits is the councilor. $90 x 8 Is pretty good money for 1 hr.

Does anyone know if counseling is now a new, mandatory nationwide law or just a greedy Dr.?

Thanks again for your input!!!
Posted: April 29, 2017, 1:35 AM

Hello Wvgirl,

My doctor has said that they are mandated by law to get monthly urine samples and also have their patients go to meetings/counseling etc. However, my doctor accepts quite a few online meeting places like the site we are on now. So i log on here every other day or so and read posts then take screen shots for my doctor as evidence and all is fine. My doctor also hands out these papers for you to fill out and to use for notes and things if you happen to want to go to an actual real life meeting. I'm not sure if those NA meetings cost money; however, just logging onto The Addiction Recovery Guide forums has been a perfectly fine free meeting place to hear others stories or even post your own.
Your boyfriend should ask the doctor if he can still get his prescription if he visits the free online addiction recovery sites. Because I'm sure he doesn't have the extra extra money to pay for a scammed meeting that charges people in need of help. that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of. I thought those meetings were to help people, not to make money off of them. hmm, I may have it all wrong about the in person meetings, but i would definitely ask questions about it.

This post has been edited by Vestare on April 29, 2017, 1:36 AM
Posted: April 29, 2017, 11:20 AM

Sounds suspicious. Any meetings near me are free. You couldn't pay for one cause they are all free.
Posted: June 12, 2017, 5:16 PM

I kn ow this is late but maybe it will help. I am a Recovery Coach and yes, a Dr cannot prescribe suboxone without the patient going to counseling. Suboxone when prescribed and used the correct way is supposed to be a short term process, not a year or more. This is why the patient has to go to c counseling because they want the patient to have a recovery plan for when they get off of suboxone.
  top of page  Top