Weightloss While Taking Suboxone /subutex
Cliff
Posted: June 26, 2016, 2:26 AM

just curious to see if anyone else has had the same issue I've had with taking suboxone/subutex.
So I am a opiate addict. Mainly oxy but did pretty much anything but H. I mainly just ate or snorted my drugs. When I first started I was 200lbs. With drug use, weightloss is expected, and was.. So after heavy use for a few years I decided enough is enough and went to rehab to get my a** clean. I was clean for almost 2 years and relapsed. So I did the rehab s*** again and relapsed again. This last time I decided to get on some sort of maintenance and got on suboxone. At this point I was around 175. I was on suboxone for about 2 years and lost another 30 lbs. So 2 years into the suboxone I switched to subutex. Their the small hi-tech 8mg pills twice daily. I am now at 135. I eat more than enough to maintain a healthy weight but I cannot gain any. All evidence points to the subutex.. just curious to hear if anyone has experienced this to the extent I have.
3rd times a charm
Posted: July 20, 2016, 12:09 AM

I lost 30lbs while on suboxone during 2 yr. I asked my sub dr if this is reason for wt loss and he said no. So finally spoke with my primary dr. Because he didnt know I had been on suboxone. He was concerned with my wt loss. Yes this does cause wt loss. You cant gain wt either I tried!! I am at .5mg sub now ...almost there!!!! Last 3months no loss or gain in wt. I will be able to gain after 2 or 3 months when off suboxone. Just remember eat plenty, healthy and drink water. Hope this helps.

***Please do not post personal contact information. thank you, the moderators ***

This post has been edited by moderator on July 20, 2016, 12:12 PM
3rd times a charm
Posted: July 20, 2016, 12:24 AM

Also just wanted u to know I relapsed 2 times prior to sub. I went in hospital both times for detox. Funny thing is my vic supplier asked me if I knew about suboxone. He currently was on due to opiate addiction. I tried and wow for once I could not believe it
He was concerned I was not gonna live a long happy life. So went to dr and never think of opiates anymore. I lost contact with him but thank you god!! for sending me that Angel!!!!
Sarah
Posted: November 11, 2016, 1:57 PM

I have been on suboxone for 9 months and have lost 15 pounds. I started out at 16mg and I'm now down to 8mg. Ive tried everything I can think of to gain weight and nothing works. I'm contemplating tapering down again to 4mg. I feel like I look like a skeleton. anybody else having this issue?
Posted: November 12, 2016, 11:23 PM

gain weight - eat at least your 3 regular meals - stick to protein and veg, fruit, yogurt. after dinner have a bowl of cereal - try to go for healthy - organic brands if you can - they are more dense. I do not take suboxone, so I do understand that you might now be able to gain weight.

Skylar
Posted: January 16, 2017, 2:49 PM

I've been on suboxone for over a year. I started losing weight the moment I went into rehab even before I was on suboxone. In detox, I was put on methodone for 5 days. After that and since then I've been constipated. The suboxone definitely doesn't help. It's not like I eat healthy. I don't eat much, but when I do, I eat stuff like pizza, chicken rolls, apples with peanut butter, I do eat a lot of salad, gummy candy, cookies etc. When I did try to eat healthy and eat more frequently, I got extremely sick. I started meal prepping again: extra lean ground turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, avocado, and it just sat in my stomach and made my sick. The next day I wouldn't even be able to keep water down. The only thing I could eat were protein pancakes (oats, cottage cheese and egg whites). I've lost a total of 80lbs since getting clean. I've dropped from 250 to 170. I've been at 160 for a little while now, but I also stayed at 180 for a little while. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my metabolism back to where it needs to be. It's so insanely slow from taking suboxone, and I'm dropping weight like crazy. I also always feel tired and sluggish and I know it's because I'm not getting the correct nutrition. I can't seem to take in the amount of protein needed to sustain a healthy diet.
Posted: January 17, 2017, 8:25 PM

see a naturopath for diet and overall health. Loosing weight from 200-something down to 170 sounds healthy. I know what you mean about protein. most people do not eat enough protein or fruits and vegetables, and water. I have heard that there are health coaches - some are free.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on January 17, 2017, 8:25 PM
Valoradia
Posted: October 25, 2018, 11:01 AM

your metabolism would be high and not low if you are losing weight!!
18 YEARS ON SUBS
Posted: October 29, 2018, 8:59 AM

I've been taking 16mg subutex per day for a VERY, VERY, VERY LONG TIME and don't think I've ever lost weight. In fact, I seem to have gained weight. It's just the opposite for me.
As now that I'm 29 days into finally jumping off trying cold turkey, it's now that I've been losing the weight like crazy. So its meen just the opposte for me.
  top of page  Top