next >  post replypost new topic
Weightloss While Taking Suboxone /subutex
Cliff

Posted: June 26, 2016, 2:26 AM
just curious to see if anyone else has had the same issue I've had with taking suboxone/subutex.
So I am a opiate addict. Mainly oxy but did pretty much anything but H. I mainly just ate or snorted my drugs. When I first started I was 200lbs. With drug use, weightloss is expected, and was.. So after heavy use for a few years I decided enough is enough and went to rehab to get my a** clean. I was clean for almost 2 years and relapsed. So I did the rehab s*** again and relapsed again. This last time I decided to get on some sort of maintenance and got on suboxone. At this point I was around 175. I was on suboxone for about 2 years and lost another 30 lbs. So 2 years into the suboxone I switched to subutex. Their the small hi-tech 8mg pills twice daily. I am now at 135. I eat more than enough to maintain a healthy weight but I cannot gain any. All evidence points to the subutex.. just curious to hear if anyone has experienced this to the extent I have.
3rd times a charm

Posted: July 20, 2016, 12:09 AM
I lost 30lbs while on suboxone during 2 yr. I asked my sub dr if this is reason for wt loss and he said no. So finally spoke with my primary dr. Because he didnt know I had been on suboxone. He was concerned with my wt loss. Yes this does cause wt loss. You cant gain wt either I tried!! I am at .5mg sub now ...almost there!!!! Last 3months no loss or gain in wt. I will be able to gain after 2 or 3 months when off suboxone. Just remember eat plenty, healthy and drink water. Hope this helps.

***Please do not post personal contact information. thank you, the moderators ***

This post has been edited by moderator on July 20, 2016, 12:12 PM
3rd times a charm

Posted: July 20, 2016, 12:24 AM
Also just wanted u to know I relapsed 2 times prior to sub. I went in hospital both times for detox. Funny thing is my vic supplier asked me if I knew about suboxone. He currently was on due to opiate addiction. I tried and wow for once I could not believe it
He was concerned I was not gonna live a long happy life. So went to dr and never think of opiates anymore. I lost contact with him but thank you god!! for sending me that Angel!!!!
Sarah

Posted: November 11, 2016, 1:57 PM
I have been on suboxone for 9 months and have lost 15 pounds. I started out at 16mg and I'm now down to 8mg. Ive tried everything I can think of to gain weight and nothing works. I'm contemplating tapering down again to 4mg. I feel like I look like a skeleton. anybody else having this issue?

Posted: November 12, 2016, 11:23 PM
gain weight - eat at least your 3 regular meals - stick to protein and veg, fruit, yogurt. after dinner have a bowl of cereal - try to go for healthy - organic brands if you can - they are more dense. I do not take suboxone, so I do understand that you might now be able to gain weight.

Skylar

Posted: January 16, 2017, 2:49 PM
I've been on suboxone for over a year. I started losing weight the moment I went into rehab even before I was on suboxone. In detox, I was put on methodone for 5 days. After that and since then I've been constipated. The suboxone definitely doesn't help. It's not like I eat healthy. I don't eat much, but when I do, I eat stuff like pizza, chicken rolls, apples with peanut butter, I do eat a lot of salad, gummy candy, cookies etc. When I did try to eat healthy and eat more frequently, I got extremely sick. I started meal prepping again: extra lean ground turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, avocado, and it just sat in my stomach and made my sick. The next day I wouldn't even be able to keep water down. The only thing I could eat were protein pancakes (oats, cottage cheese and egg whites). I've lost a total of 80lbs since getting clean. I've dropped from 250 to 170. I've been at 160 for a little while now, but I also stayed at 180 for a little while. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my metabolism back to where it needs to be. It's so insanely slow from taking suboxone, and I'm dropping weight like crazy. I also always feel tired and sluggish and I know it's because I'm not getting the correct nutrition. I can't seem to take in the amount of protein needed to sustain a healthy diet.

Posted: January 17, 2017, 8:25 PM
see a naturopath for diet and overall health. Loosing weight from 200-something down to 170 sounds healthy. I know what you mean about protein. most people do not eat enough protein or fruits and vegetables, and water. I have heard that there are health coaches - some are free.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on January 17, 2017, 8:25 PM
Valoradia

Posted: October 25, 2018, 11:01 AM
your metabolism would be high and not low if you are losing weight!!
18 YEARS ON SUBS

Posted: October 29, 2018, 8:59 AM
I've been taking 16mg subutex per day for a VERY, VERY, VERY LONG TIME and don't think I've ever lost weight. In fact, I seem to have gained weight. It's just the opposite for me.
As now that I'm 29 days into finally jumping off trying cold turkey, it's now that I've been losing the weight like crazy. So its meen just the opposte for me.
Cheryl

Posted: November 17, 2019, 10:42 AM
I've looked up constantly on the internet to see if taking Suboxone can cause weight loss. I've never seen an definitive yes. However I weighed 312 at one point. I believe I was at 286 when I started taking suboxone. I want to point out I was not overweight from eating. Also I didn't eat bad. In 1998 I weighed 135, my mother died and I just started quickly gaining weight. For the first time in my life I was overweight. I gained 50 pounds in 3 months with no eating change. I was given sub for pain years later. I didn't really notice weight loss until about 3 months after I'd started. Now it's been a full year. I lost 87 pounds so far. I was just given another year of suboxone. I told my daughter about how much weight I'd finally lost in the past year and she said (rudely in my opinion) that I didn't lose the weight. Suboxone did it. Like my efforts did nothing. So I let her know I wasn't even taking my full prescription. I was given 2 strips a day (8/2) and was taking a half to a whole of only 1. I never even took the other strip. Here I am again looking up if sub makes you lose weight. In clinical trials it says no but there's no other changes in my life other than due to my current circumstances I'm under more stress and for the first time in almost 40 years I finally stopped drinking diet Pepsi. Once I noticed I lost a little weight I did try to do more to keep it going. I played badminton and baseball with my grandson. I speed walked while he rode his bike. I eat salads at dinner and I make sure to put protein in them (3/4 pieces of general Tso chicken from Meijer). The doctor said you MUST eat your protein.
Hannah

Posted: January 7, 2020, 2:42 PM
Hi everyone,
Like others always checking about weight loss with suboxone. I never was heavy but I went from 115 to 90lbs. after 2 years on sub. I am 5"5" female with a small body frame but I look like a skeleton. I don't gain weight and I eat anything I want. That said, I cannot eat a lot at one time and I eat often. Nauseous at times. Extremely constipated.

Anyway, my doctor is concerned about my weight loss so I am actually having a cat scan of my stomach and pelvis today. I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong, but I'm checking to make sure. So if everything is normal, then I can only blame Suboxone. I'll keep you posted.
DRod

Posted: April 15, 2020, 12:17 AM
I have been on Suboxone for almost a year now and have gone from 120 to 89 pounds. However everytime I bring it up to my Dr he says that he doesn't think it's the Suboxone and try's to refer me to someone else. I definitely don't have have the appetite like I used to but I do eat. I have become very frustrated! None of my clothes fit me, I'm always tired, and very depressed. I look like a skeleton. I want to try to taper off of the Suboxone, just concerned if I tell my doctor he will say it's not a good idea. I see a ton on the internet about weight gain with Suboxone just not a lot on weight loss.

Posted: April 26, 2020, 7:23 PM
I actually maintain my weight pretty easily. I could also gain weight really easily by over eating if I don't watch what I eat. The only problem I have is that if I don't eat a lot of fibre I feel the Suboxone will mess with my digestive system.
Dan

Posted: August 5, 2020, 12:34 PM
Guys I am going through this too, have a couple hypotheses (2nd part of this post) on what could cause this weight loss.

Here has been my experience:

Pre-opiates: 5'10" 205lbs ~20% body fat. Had never touched prescriptions or any drugs. Played sports since youth, worked, college, active/athletic but not skinny.

As soon as I got hooked on my prescriptions (oxycodone, eventually dilaudid), I stopped playing sports, stopped going to the gym and started smoking cigarettes. Over time I got hooked on the needle and went down to 160lbs.

Replacement therapies:
Gained a ton of fat from eating sugar on methadone (back up to 205 but not muscular)
Lost that fat back on the needle/dilaudid. On suboxone, was about 168 on high doses (16-24mg), 160 at 8mg, now I am on 2mg/day, and weigh 149LBS :(
-----------

WHAT I BELIEVE could be responsible for weight loss, and just as important, my difficulty gaining weight:

1. I believe suboxone interferes or alters metabolism (constipation? gut absorption? gut microbiome? less calories?). Also affects hormones and hormonal balance, and quality (stages) of sleep. QUALITY sleep is important for hormones e.g. growth hormone., healing and growth.

2. Maybe smoking 25+ cigarettes a day (nicotine acts as a stimulant) interferes with my metabolism and appetite (also, it pollutes the lungs that absorb oxygen and get rid of CO2, important for growth/recovery).

3. Caffeine, another stimulant I ingest 2x daily from Coffee, irritates my gut and may play into food metabolism/absorption/hunger/

4. Finally, I tend to only gain muscle when I use muscle, which I find difficult to regularly while on opiates.

-Just my 4 cents.

Posted: August 17, 2020, 10:15 AM
I have not lost any weight since on Suboxone, I have actually put on more weight but I am also at an age where it is really easy for me to put on weight if I am not careful. One thing I can say is that if I eat a high fiber cereal every night and I do not have any stomach issues in the morning. if I don't eat a high fiber cereal at night I will have issues in the morning. A little of topic but hopefully it helps someone.

Posted: December 23, 2020, 2:32 AM
Hi ♡Just wondering if anyone has any info about this:Me and my husband have both started subutex 22 days ago and I am extremely worried because were both loosing weight like 10 pounds in 3 weeks!!!This is not good at all because were both small built already and don't have much to lose...I'm just wondering is this something that will continue to happen or is this just an adjustment period?Also my husband has started having terrible problems with night sweats??Anyone going through similar problems or that has gone through this I would greatly appreciate any information or advice you have..I am already a worrier so this has me pretty freaked out. Hope someone is able to help me out Thanks
Tess

Posted: December 31, 2020, 3:24 PM
So I just want to say that I have NO doubt that sub affects your weight.
I have struggled with addiction on and off for 20yrs. I was what people call a functioning addict. I’ve never od’d nor do I have any criminal history and wanted to keep it that way.
I’ve done everything you can name , conventional and non ..
I got clean a few years ago after an inpatient rehab and had about 16 months clean.
When I went in rehab I was 161 lbs.. now understand I’m 6,5”!!!
After maybe 8 months clean I was 215lb... I relapsed briefly and decided to go back on subz . It was the lesser of two evils! After 6 months on sub I was 175lbs.
About a year ago I decided to try and and “change” my life. I joined the gym, went 5 days a week, ate a clean controlled diet. 3046 cal a day .. no sugar.. multi vitamin, probiotics, 60-100 oz of water a day... after 8 months consistently doin so I only got to 187lb !!! There is NO FN way sumone is gunna tell me that sub is not the cause. I wish I could give sum of u the “fix” to this problem but I cant. Im a big believer in EVERYTHING is fixable if u put enough effort into it. But to me shy of quitting sub I don’t see a way. I HATE being a toothpick BUT I don’t want to risk my life to gain weight. I will be the first person to admit that I don’t think sub is the answer but it’s the best solution that I have tried. I wish everyone that’s going thru this struggle the best.

Posted: January 16, 2021, 8:34 AM
I spoke with the nurse at my last appointment to ask about weight loss and subutex she basically looked up the side effects on web md and and she didn't think it would..but I talked with 2 other patients in the waiting area who said they have had significant changes in weight but after the initial weight loss during the first few months they maintained the weight I have been monitoring my weight pretty closely and have not lost more than the initial 9 pounds so hopefully it stays that way but anyone else who is going through similar situation please share so that I have more than just my situation to present to the doctor at my next visit thanks

Posted: February 17, 2021, 12:10 PM
Cliff,
I have not had any issues maintaining weight or losing weight. To the contrary I can put on weight very easily if I dont watch myself. Although I am getting older and my metabolism is slowing down. Hope this helps
Marcos

Posted: February 20, 2021, 2:55 PM
Hello! Mendy and others, I completely agree. I’m a slim guy as is (32yr male) but on subs I’m a straight skeleton status. It’s really got me in my head as I don’t feel I look healthy. I have a story like many others, after years of treatment and in and out of rehabs/sober houses/ “the program” I got tired of slipping up after a year and having AA shun me to start over bc they think I’m a nut case for using.... soOoO I got on subs 2 years ago instead. The first year was for sure all up hill. Now after 2 years... I’m not so sure . I’m on 2 8s a day. Where I used to be able to take just 1... now I’m taking closer to the full 2. I will say, I don’t take them at the same time everyday and I flux between 8mg - 20mg (max) a day. It used to not bother me to do that but now it does. I wake up sick a lot. Have wicked crazy cold sweats. It’s the winter in Maine and I’ll sweat shirts all morning till my sub kicks in... and my weight... it is crazy. I’m usually 150.... I’m like 120 right now. I think the subs have secretly made my appetite small without noticing and I eat less. My eating also revolves around how I’m feeling, stuff usually doesn’t taste good either, everything forced. It’s just crazy because I year ago I was very “pro suboxone “ as my life had gotten much better. These days its getting to be almost as much of a pain as the addiction was... at least I don’t run out and waste a ton a money with my sub script tho.... but yeah... subs have me lookin reallll skinny. However, I don’t feel I’m still loosing weight... I mean there is nothing to lose lol. I just can’t gain weight at all. I’m about to find a detox that does methadone to come down using that.
post replypost new topic