post replypost new topic
Safe To Combine Naltraxone & Suboxone??
Beenon

Posted: May 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
My boyfriend has been on a suboxone program for the past few weeks and has been doing fairly well with the prescription pill addiction, however, it seemed like his drinking alcohol increased as a replacement. Just this morning he began to take Naltrexone to curb the desire to drink (alcoholism runs horribly in his family as well as with him) but now is terribly sick......vomiting, chills alternating with sweating profusely, dizzy, etc.

Does anyone know if the two treatment drugs (Suboxone & Naltrexone) should not be combined together?

Posted: May 16, 2008, 1:08 PM
No they should not be taken together, at least 2 weeks between the time off sub to when Naltrexone should be taken. My Doctor made me wait 3 weeks.

The pharmacy if he is going to one should have crossed checked the two meds and refused to fill knowing he was on sub.

I go to one place and when I was on sub, and the doctor gave me naltrexone to take, the pharmacy wanted to make sure I wasn't still on sub.

I would call the doctor and tell him/her what he is experiencing. Did the same doctor give him both drugs to take? If so he/she is not very knowledgeable.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
Beenon

Posted: May 16, 2008, 2:19 PM
Thanks Brooke for your info. From the quick research I did on the internet it appeared as if the two almost act in the same manner therefore should not be taken together.

To be quite honest, the Suboxone is a current prescription. The Naltrexone is still good (expiration-wise), however, the prescription itself was filled quite some time ago after my boyfriend entered himself into a short-term detox/drug program (he filled it after he got out). He used it for a little while and was able to get by drug and alcohol free on his own (no Suboxone or Naltrexone). When he had a recent setback with the prescription pills, he started the Suboxone program again and has been taking them for about 2-3 weeks. However, that's when the drinking came on again and out of fear of that getting out of control, he found his old prescription for Naltrexone and decided to "self medicate", for lack of better terms. He took the pill around 6am this morning and started feeling ill by 8am, which is why I immediately thought it was the combination of the two.

I thought of calling his doctor but from what I have experienced in going through the recovery process with him, a lot of the doctors in this area (New Jersey) who specialize in Suboxone, etc., seem to get very inpatient with the addicts (even though they're supposed to be in the helping industry). Now that we know its most likely the combination of the two drugs, we were just going to wait it out.

Posted: May 16, 2008, 8:45 PM
Ok this is really easy.

If he is taking Naltrexone (Revia) he is wiping out the Suboxone . The two are not compatible in any way

Naltrexone wipes out suboxone by knocking the sub off the opiate receptors and binding to them. If he was taking a decent amount of suboxone the Naltrexone would also send him into withdrawal, which it sounds like he is in.

This post has been edited by The Silent Partner on May 16, 2008, 8:47 PM

--------------------
A Buddhist Lama once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.

Get Help for Codeine Addiction Here

Posted: August 16, 2008, 6:20 PM
Hi the drug suboxone is part naltrexone,so he already has it in the drug and doesant need to take extra,anyway it in my opinion doesant even work for alcoholism.I guess if a person believes its beneficial its better than nothing jiohn

Posted: August 27, 2008, 8:32 AM

Johnny often people confuse the two ingredients, suboxone has naloxone,

not Naltrexone. Two difference drugs. Vastly different.

Naltrexone is an opioid receptor antagonist

Naloxone is a drug used to counter the effects of opioid overdose, for example heroin or morphine overdose. Which is in suboxone. But not Subutex.

Buprenorphine is a semi-synthetic opiate with partial agonist and antagonist actions. Which is the main ingredient in both suboxone and subutex.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
sandy

Posted: October 23, 2010, 2:46 AM

Hi I am in withdrawal from Effexor have been a long time have lingering symptoms some come in waves some just linger on and on. I am 34 months post cold turkey have been medicated with one ad or another for 18 years. Always quit had withdrawal was put back on I was told and believed they had no withdrawal and it was just me being mad. Jokes on me was put on prozac the first AD for treatment of leg pain was told it would help me decrease my use of tylenol#3 after a care accident. Well the prozac made me crazy after a couple of wks. I was suicidal stayed rather messed a few years will not bore with any more of my history just now.
Today I was reading a Effexor withdrawal website and found a post stating a gp had suggested Naltrexone to help with these symptoms. It was LDN low dose. So I have been searching trying to see how it is expected to help - what it is and what it does. So far I do not understand why this doc suspects it would help with ad withdrawal. However there seems to be some debate here about Naltrexone abd Naloxone.
I found this bit while searching it was posted by a pharmacist this is the link
http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-Naltrexone
I had already read this page but thought I should come back and post this here as I am all about getting clarity to the people taking the meds. Clear understanding and decent information may have made a huge difference to my life so maybe this will help somebody. Good luck all Peace.

NALTREXONE VS. NALOXONE
One final quick piece of information for the curious reader who has gotten this far in the article. You may have heard about another drug, similar to naltrexone, known as "naloxone." What is naloxone?

Naloxone is an ingredient in several prescription drugs such as:

Talwin NX (containing pentazocine and naloxone)
Suboxone (containing buprenorphine and naloxone)
Narcan and Vivitrol (injectable formulations of naloxone)
Naloxone basically has the same pharmacological effects as naltrexone, but it is shorter acting, and thus makes it especially useful as a "revival" drug administered to patients who have intentionally or unintentionally overdosed on narcotics.

Posted: October 26, 2014, 2:31 PM
This is a nice posts.I have a learn new thinks from this site.I share it with my all friends.I impressed by the quality of good information.Best of luck,Keep up good work.

--------------------
192.168.l.l
Hanging in

Posted: September 30, 2015, 7:28 PM
DO NOT EVER MIX THOSE DRUGS. I was on Suboxone for years and when a Dr prescribed me Naltrexone the Pharmacist flagged it --- and only gave me the Naltrexone cause I always have problems with my insurance on Suboxone. Anyhow, I had leftover Suboxone and was still addicted to it (who can get off suboxone?)....I took Naltrerone for 1 day, and ended up in the ER, thought I was dying. It caused the most violent (mentally and physically) withdrawal....felt like I was on acid/peyote and I had no idea what hit me.....going to the ER was a waste....they gave me a little valium and treated me like a junkie (when I have been clean for 5 years and was just following Dr's orders) and finally came home and had to sleep it off for 20 hours. I was so floored, so weak I had to have my wife email work to let them know I was out of commission. Thankfully they were cool. In another situation could have cost me my job. I have been on a road to recovery and I thought taking Naltrexone would enhance it but it set me back in a big way.
michelle

Posted: December 6, 2015, 1:02 PM
Ive been on suboxone for a year straight.My Dr.got a bright idea to have me try naltrexone??So i trusted my physician and took one 50mg.tablet of naltrexone.30 min later i was violently sick.runny nose,watery eyes,feeling like i was trying to come out of my body,freezing,sweating etc.I knew right away i was in severe withdrawel.My son had to call paramedics and i went to the emergency room.Never again will i take naltrexone in my life ,after 3 days of feeling so weak i couldnt even hold my head up!When i got through the withdrawel and feeling like i was dying,I flushed the whole bottle of naltrexone!
Bill

Posted: December 13, 2015, 2:08 PM
You have to wait for the suboxone/opiates to be completely out of your system before taking naltrexone!!! If not it will put you into precipitated withdrawals. Probably not a worse feeling on this planet. My doctor said 2-3 days after I came off my last dose of suboxone, I could start the naltrexone. I'm waiting a bit longer in case. I got down to a half miligram of suboxone on my own. To help with the withdrawals coming off the suboxone, my doctor prescribed me Xanax for sleep. That's when my withdrawals are the worst. Not all doctors will prescribe benzos but it's definitely worth asking for. It has helped tremendously. I had been on suboxone since they came out in 2003ish. Nothing like this new freedom. Listen, if I can do it, anyone, AND I MEAN ANYONE, can do it. I've been hooked on one type of opiate or another since 1995. The fear of withdrawals kept me on the subs for so long. I Promise it can be done. I wish you all the best. Too many people are dying out there. So sad
INEEDTODOIT!

Posted: June 7, 2017, 9:53 PM
Suboxone withdrawal is terrible ! 3 days off is just the beginning of what's to come . I wish anybody that has been taking it for a lengthy period of time could just taper off and be done with it . But that's just not the case . I myself failed trying to kick Suboxone several times because of the severe aching that took place and having no energy , depressed etc . !!! I found taking 150 mg of Welbutrin a day along with B-12 and Testosterone injections at 1CC a week , exercise and a healthy diet for 6 months to be my ticket to freedom !
BIG J

Posted: June 20, 2017, 5:50 PM
i just seen a trial that gave patients both suboxone and naltrxone that proved to be more effective than any one alone but im not sure how the administered them. one at a time or one before the other might have played a big part of the results in the test subject...

BIG J

Posted: June 20, 2017, 5:53 PM
good for you (INEEDTODOIT)...
Life gets better but its a slow process..
post replypost new topic