post replypost new topic
Rehab And Nicotine Addiction

Posted: May 9, 2013, 4:05 PM
Hi, wondering what people's experience has been regarding drug rehab and nicotine addiction. Some people report beginning to smoke while in rehab, or picking up that habit again.

What about nicotine addiction being practiced right outside the doors of your 12 Step meetings?

Just curious to hear what you have to say.

Posted: May 26, 2013, 9:08 PM

I am a patient at NLTC which is a nicotine free rehab. Most of the councilors have well over 30 years of experience in the field and consider nicotine a gateway drug. Any new patient who smoke has a week or two to quit depending on the severity of their addiction, and once clean is tested regularly.

If any of us are caught smoking (and we are tested for it) we are kicked out of the program no questions asked. There is Zero tolerance. We can not drink more than a cup of coffee a day either and even that is looked down up on.

Think about it. for a pot head, that is definitely a gateway drug. The simple fact is that nicotine is addictive (meaning a person can become addicted, be an addict) same with alcohol, and since we are trying to change the way we think (our cognition) it makes absolutely no sense to allow addictive behavior to persist in an addicts mind.

This was one of the things that drew me to New Life Treatment Center (NLTC), Zero tolerance of any kind of drug legal or not, a strict policy of exercise (3 times a week) and a healthy diet (I am on a plant based diet myself).

--------------------
Patient at NLTC
One day at a time.
post replypost new topic