next >  post replypost new topic
How?

Posted: December 20, 2011, 1:02 PM
How do you quit? How do you want to quit? I don't want too but then again, I know I have too. I struggle everytime I try..make it a couple of days, even a couple of weeks and then the anxiety is so accute that I give up. I have tried 12 stepping it, the patch, the gum, the mints and the e-cig. Nothing works. I've gone from being a 4 a day smoker to half a pack now. The more I try to quit, the more I smoke. It's disgusting and with my health issues, completely stupid. Tell me what to do...I really need help.

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.

Posted: December 20, 2011, 2:08 PM

I think you had a bad e-cig. Get the ones I got and ones with nicotine in the cartridge...it helps a lot. I quit a year ago and thank God I did. Go to Vapor4Life and poke around...waaay better than the mall version.

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image

Posted: December 22, 2011, 1:56 PM
Ok, I'll order it and give it a try..the ones I got didn't have nicotine which I thought was the whole point? But how do you gradually cut down? I guess the website will tell me...how did you do it though?

--------------------

Posted: December 22, 2011, 3:41 PM
The cartridges come in verying nicotine strengths, from 0mg to 36mg at some sites. I use the 11mg in the morning, and the 0 or 4mg at night. I have some that taste like cigs and some that taste like coffee, or caramel or creme brulee or butterscotch. My faves at that site are "Wowboy", but I also like "555" and "Caramel" If your old one is a screw on cartridge you might be able to just order cartridges...more info please.

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: December 22, 2011, 7:49 PM
Like any other drug Lisa--I am aPutz bad asthma--hooked smoking newports and coke--during my first run in AA I quit--Just threw them out-

Its not easy--By the way not judging--My Mother cant quit? smokes one after the other 3-4 5-6 packs she does not even remember--

Pray and quit--you will freak out for a month--

--start eating and quit smoking-

Jeff

--------------------
It is Just Not worth it.

"Inside every older person is a younger person
wondering what the puck happened."

One Day At A Time

Posted: December 22, 2011, 8:46 PM
I think she's tried that, Jeff. Part of the problem is not wanting to quit. I never really wanted to quit either and was also only smoking about 6 a day. But once the grandbunny came I did not want to be a stinky grandmother and I saw an old pal here had posted something about ecigs so I tried them and quit within two weeks...haven't lapsed in 9 months and have absolutely no desire to smoke. That said, not everything works the same way for everyone, but I've seen a lot of success stories with these things.

The point is not just to get rid of the nicotine but more importantly to stop ingesting carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, acetone, and other toxic checmicals...those are the things that blacken and clog the lungs and cause cancer. Like I said, depending on the make of your battery you might be able to just buy cartridges and try a few different ones to find one that works for you...or I could send you a couple of mine to try. Which one do you have? I know it's a mall version...

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: December 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
Mom black and white--either YOU QUIT OR JUST LIKE ALL THESE OTHER DRUGS THEY WILL KILL US--i QUIT simple if i CAN ANYONE CAN--ITS NOT EASY--MIND OVER MATTER-

Lisa IS FREAKIN CAUSE SHE WILL GAIN 6-8 OUNCES IF SHE DID QUIT-

Cigs and I quit twice--its all in your brain--Anybody can quit cigs--i AM NOT SPECIAL--MENTALLY STRONG-

Lisa you scared? I was--but something happened God? I was smoking 4 packs a day with NO COKE NO ALCOHOL just liked smoking

Then one day finished

Like I said its all in the brain--mental fight--

--------------------
It is Just Not worth it.

One Day At A Time

Posted: December 23, 2011, 9:17 AM
Again with Lisa's weight, Jeff? It's getting kinda old, don't you think?

Lisa, you know how to reach me....

Posted: December 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
Jeff..it is getting kind of old, but I know you're just trying to be funny and help. It's something I struggle with every day and would love to put on 10 or 20 pounds. I would feel better and really look better. I don't like being skinny..but, I've got thick skin and I know you mean no harm so let's just let it go at that.

I don't want to quit. That is the problem. This is the addiction I switched too from using pills and have been my crutch ever since. Sometimes I don't feel clean because of it.

S. Yes, I have the screw on kind. They are called "Smoke Assist". They kinda taste like burnt marshmellow. But there is no nicotine in them. I looked at the web site you directed me too and bookmarked it. After Christmas, I'll order from there. Thanks for the offer of sending me some, I appreciate that but I'll order them, I promise.

I dont' want to be a tinky grandma anymore either. Jake is trying hard to quit too again and I want to support him as well. We both have agreed to support eachother at the gym after the first of the year. He's skinny like me. 6'6 and weighs 145 soaking wet. I sent you pictures of him so you'll see what I mean.

I have to do this. I'm 51, almost 52 and this was not part of my plan to live a healthy full life!

Thanks to both of you...xo

--------------------

Posted: December 23, 2011, 2:49 PM
Jesus Christ--you all so sensitive? I will bust your chops Lisa--Just like you do--I would not waste my time responding all these years if I did not care--

Me-you are addicts--A f-ing moron smokes if they are healthy IMO--I smoked it with coke and then after sober smoked 3-4 packs of Newports--AND I HAVE BAD ASTHMA-I AM AN A-HOLE FOR SMOKING BUT LIKE ALL THE OTHER DRUGS--I JUST QUIT--ITS AS EASY IMO AS TAKING THE FIRST DRINK OR DRUG--UP TO ME--IF YOU HAVE THE TOOLS AND TRUST ME I HAVE THE TOOLS I JUST AM VERY SICK--20 YEARS TO GET BACK TO THE ROOMS--WHAT A SICK PUPPY I AM--AND FORGET BUT FOR LIKE A YEAR OR SO BUSINESS WAS TOUGH I STARTED SMOKING AFTER LIKE 5-6 YRS??? SICK?? BUT I THANK GOD QUIT FOR GOOD--

Being serious--Lisa reply to How--Its simple--I quit drinking for today--just came back from an awesome meeting--Gave up time with my kids instead this weekend Meetings not because I have cravings but because 99% of my new buds are in the worst place--

So instead of my daughters do some service? Driven someone --possible 2AM meeting as someone asked me if she is not able would I drive her? She has a bike scared --gave her my #

Look Lisa you have to get through 3 days of nicotine W/D lots of water etc--you will be a mental midget--but day 4? Why would you state you do not want to quit? Just quit--may sound stupid but its the only way--

bUT IF YOU TRULY DO NOT WANT TO QUIT YOU DEF WILL NOT --MY CONFUSION IS WHY EVEN START THE THREAD?

I THINK YOU WANT TO QUIT--

IF NOT KEEP SMOKINGEITHER WAY ? STAY HEALTHY AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS

P.S MOM--I HAVE NEVER EVEN MET LISA F2F SKINNY? SOMEHOW IT STICKS LIKE ANYTHING ELSE--SHE IS PROBABLY PERFECT AND I KNOW SHE IS VERY ATTRACTIVE--ALTHOUGH MY EYESIGHT SUCKS

JEFF

--------------------
It is Just Not worth it.

One Day At A Time

Posted: December 27, 2011, 2:47 PM
LOL..yes, your eye sight sucks!

It's ok Jeff, I know you mean well, no problem, ok?

Yea, I do want to quit, I really do. I'm just scared. Scared of having nothing, no vice, no nothing. I've always had something that makes me think it's helping relax me or make me feel better..scary to be 100% healthy. <shudder>

I ordered the one's the S suggested this morning. Should be here in 3-4 days. I've got the date circled on the calander to quit on Jan 1. Seems like a good starting point. Fresh year, clean slate.

I'm so proud of you Jeff...I don't think you realize just how far you've come buddy.

xo

--------------------

Posted: December 30, 2011, 12:37 PM
Lis, I struggled for years with the quitting smoking crap. Eight to be exact. I would quit for a few months and bam! couldn't stand it any more. I needed the ACTION. I could be completely nic free but it didn't matter. Once the obsession started I caved. BUT I haven't smoked in a year (jan. 2). I got an e-cig with 12 mg of nicotine and I have no desire to smoke. The smell of them makes me gag. It really really works for me. I have no intention of giving up my vape either. Like Mom said, it's nicotine, no carbon monoxide and tar and other crap. I really don't know if it's totally healthy (I doubt it) but I'm not smoking for the first time in 45 years and I'm happy with it. My goal was not to give up nicotine it was to quit smoking and I managed that. What do you want to accomplish? If you think you'd be happy just not stinking give an ecig a try WITH nicotine LOL
smooches

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Fleur

Posted: December 31, 2011, 3:36 AM
Hi Lisa,

I quit smoking cigarettes many times. Once I quit for 20 years and I started again. Another time I quit for five years and I started again. Last time, I quit for three years and started again.

I too loved smoking. I know its stupid to say such a thing but its true.

However, last June, my brother was admitted to the hospital. The doctors said it was a miracle he was still alive. All his life, he was a heavy smoker, cigs., pot and cigars. He quit cigarettes years ago but then started smoking cigars. When he went to the hospital in June, the doctors told him he would have to be operated - three bypass. In July, they told him it would not be a three bypass operation but a five bypass operation. So he quit smoking cigars and weed before his operation. He used the patch and the inhalor.

In the meantime, I was still smoking cigarettes. Here I was at the Calgary Heart Institute in Canada in a hospital bedroom with my brother listening to the doctors telling him he had to quit smoking. Once the doctors would leave the room, I would tell my brother I needed to go outside. So, on one of these outside escapades, I was smoking a cigarette and I started thinking about all these people I was seeing in the hospital with oxygen tanks tied to their bodies and who had to have a heart operation. Alot of these people were smokers. When I thought about these people, I said to myself "Am I stupid or what"? What am I doing smoking a cigarette when I see all the damage smoking does to us.

I continued to smoke for about a month. Then on July 25, 2011, I smoked my last cigarette. I bought the patchs, the inhalors and the gum. I haven't smoked a cigarette in five months. I don't use the patch anymore. I used the inhalor sometimes but I still chew the nicorette gum alot. My brother was doing pretty good too. He didn't smoke at all while I was taking care of him at his house. However, the minute I left him to come back home, he started smoking again. Can you believe it! The guy had a huge operation and here he is smoking. I told him that was the height of ignorance. He told me he was lonely, depressed and that is why he started smoking again. I was so mad at him. He is still smoking and every monday he says he's going to quit.

I read that quitting cigarettes is harder than quitting heroin. I do believe that although I've never done heroin in my life. All I know is that yes, it is really hard to quit cigarettes but I also honestly think that one can stop smoking cigarettes if they truly, truly want to.

I found an excellent web site called Smoking cessation. Its really good and the people on this web site all support each other. You should check it out on the Internet.

You managed to quit taking pills. I am sure you can quit cigarettes too.

I just thought of something. Maybe you should go to a hospital, like a Heart Institute, and walk down the halls and look at the people who can't walk without having an oxygen tank tied to their bodies. Believe me, when I saw these people, it seriously made me wonder why I was smoking at 53 years old. I don't ever want to have to go through what my brother went through when he was operated. The pain he was in after the operation is undescriable. Obviously, he's forgotten about this pain but I keep my fingers crossed that he will quit smoking cigars.

If I managed to quit smoking cigarettes, you can do it also.
I also find practicing yoga helps me not to smoke.

Posted: January 2, 2012, 1:36 PM
I have had a heart attack and open heart surgery and even those did not keep me from smoking.

Jesus. Just writing that down makes me sick to my stomach. What is this? A death wish?

Ok, I ordered, I think, the 12 mg's from the web site S. sent me too. Should have been here by now although I haven't checked the mail since last Thurs. Maybe because of the 2 holidays, they are running a little behind. Anyway, as soon as they come...I'm throwing out whatever cigs I have and start using those exclusively. I think by trying the one's without nicotine is what thru me..just didn't work.

This is harder than anything I have ever done. I quit a 26 year habit of pain pills, alcohol and cocaine. Why don't I have the resolve for cigarettes that I had for those addictions?

I did quit for 17 years. Stopped when I was pregnant with my second child, didn't smoke again until he was 17 and I was in treatment. It literally became my new addiction. I switched. I don't even feel clean and sober when I think about it that way. Course, I could say the same about caffeine. Totally addicted. ARRRRRRRRRRRRG

I want to be healthy dammit.

--------------------

Posted: January 2, 2012, 4:17 PM
HEY!!! We are NOT going to quit caffeine, OK?????

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Posted: January 2, 2012, 9:42 PM
They tend to be verrrry slow around the holidays, especially New Year...call them, Lisa...squeaky wheel and all that. Yep, I use the 11mgs and like Kat, no way am I giving that up yet...maybe someday, but not now. My lungs feel SO much better.

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: January 3, 2012, 1:13 PM
Calm down Kat, I didn't say we had to quit cafeinne. That, is never going to happen I'm afraid. I checked the mail yesterday and they weren't there so I'll call today.

You guys are giving me the inspiration I need, so keep on me, ok?

xox

--------------------

Posted: January 3, 2012, 1:37 PM
Okay, more reasons to vape...your hair and clothes won't smell...your car won't smell...you won't get sick as often...it's a fifth the cost. You can still satisfy the weird rituals of smoking without poisoning yourself. You won't have to go outside in the cold or wet to smoke. I LOVE my ecig...the Wowboy 11mg. is my fave flavor...it took me about 2 weeks of not caving to get the hang of it and during those two weeks I still smoked an occasional butt, but it's been over a year now. Call them...your old battery will probably take their cartridges. Kat, btw, I now refill thanks to you =) big savings.

xo ~S

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: January 5, 2012, 1:42 PM
I got them yesterday. I decided to wait until we leave for Mexico next week to use them. I won't take any cigarettes with me, just the vapes. Cant' smoke the day of travel anyway, so it'll be a good starting point. I won't buy the cigarettes in Mexico, they taste like donkey poo. So, my start date will be the 12th.

No more tinky hair, no more washing my hands every 30 seconds because I think I can still smell it. The boys are all in for a big surprize when I get back..2 weeks of not smoking, it's thier turn to quit..I can see it now. I'll even buy them all the vapes. Jake quit about a month ago but the other two, thier next.

Thanks you two for helping me do this. It's really hard.

--------------------
DONESMOKING

Posted: January 16, 2012, 3:56 PM
THERE IS A MEMBER ,A THERAPIST 32 YEARS CLEAN AND SOBER IN THE BRITISH CHANNEL ISLANDS WHO HAS A GREAT ANSWER...IT'S NOT FOR FREE BUT IS CHEAP AND WORKS..JUDGE FOR YOURSELF SEE WWW.SMOKESTOPNOW.COM
post replypost new topic