post replypost new topic
Tomorrow Is Say One...

Posted: July 13, 2011, 10:40 PM
I have been saying that for a while. I quit for a year and a half, and went back. I recently went on a three week trip, and quit then. But when I come home, I smoke. And I hate it. I want to stop. I just don't know how. Any suggestions? I don't seem to have a problem when I stay at my bfs house, but when I'm home, I feel justified. I FEEL better when I don't smoke.

--------------------
emancipate yourselves from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds ~Bob Marley

Posted: July 13, 2011, 11:19 PM

Try an ecig, a battery operated 'cigarette' with a nicotine (or nicotine-free) flavored cartridge. I quit after 37 years using one...tried it and never looked back, never even had a craving. You can control the amount of nicotine from 0-36mg (which is an obscene amount of nicotine) and for me it satisfies the physical part of smoking. I get mine HERE., even though I started with a different company...I love the flavors and their product is quality.

Peace ~ MomNMore

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image

Posted: July 14, 2011, 1:06 PM
LB/Kerri
I am presently working the twelve steps on them. Since I began my quit 112 days ago, I have been to a meeting nearly everyday. It has worked!! The obsession has been removed. I don't think I am cured. But that is what is working for me right now.
YEAY! I have a quit buddy. :) Just for today.

Love,
Jane

--------------------
My success story

Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy.
Human beings have the awesome ability
to take any experience of their lives
and create a meaning that disempowers them
or one that can literally save their lives.

- Anthony Robbins

Sometimes I lay awake at night and wonder where I've gone wrong. Then a little voice inside my head says,
"This is going to take more than one night."

"Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in."
-Leonard Cohen

user posted image

Posted: July 14, 2011, 3:17 PM
Ok. I'll try both of those. I haven't been to meetings in years because of nursing school, but I'm so desperate!

--------------------
emancipate yourselves from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds ~Bob Marley

Posted: July 14, 2011, 5:12 PM
Gift of Desperation Right??! Go to a meeting. You'll remember why after the first one.

Love,
Jane

--------------------
My success story

Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy.
Human beings have the awesome ability
to take any experience of their lives
and create a meaning that disempowers them
or one that can literally save their lives.

- Anthony Robbins

Sometimes I lay awake at night and wonder where I've gone wrong. Then a little voice inside my head says,
"This is going to take more than one night."

"Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in."
-Leonard Cohen

user posted image
20 sticks

Posted: July 17, 2011, 8:05 PM
littlebeach...I can relate so well to your grief and frustration. I ask myself a lot how I became addicted to something that I hate. Once I said this very question of myself to a friend who shared with me that it's a possibility that I don't truly hate it. I was baffled by that reply, but I think it may be true. Yes - I certainly hate the truths I know about it's destructiveness, yuckiness, and even the routine of budgeting for a pack, but I admitted to myself that I don't yet hate the relief I seem to feel when smoking. Afterwards, I'm angry with myself, again, and make another promise not to indulge again. It's been this same viscious cycle now for 6 years! I don't know why, but it does bring me some degree of comfort, and has been an outlet for stress. Since I started running, again, and light weight training, I have improved. I don't think about smoking like I used to. I've made exercise my outlet for stress, and I haven't totally mastered the habit, yet, but it's the best I've done for years. I finally think I'm on my way to actually hating the habit. I found, too, that talking on the cell phone, in my down time, used to be my unrecognized que to light up. I now refuse to carry my cell phone around, and only use it for when I really must communicate that way. It's helping, quite a bit. I hope some of this will help you to see that we all have binges, but don't give up. You can become smoke free!

Posted: July 18, 2011, 11:48 AM
For me it's the hand to mouth obsession. What is that? It also relaxes me. It's certainly not a social thing anymore..God, we are outcasts! And I truly hate the way I smell. I've gotten to the point now where I wear gloves (even in summer) and put a hat on with all my hair up. Then wash my hands and brush my teeth AND chew gum. It's not the I worry about other people smelling, it, I, ME, hate the smell.

Plugged in the e-cig about 20 minutes ago..haven't smoked yet this morning so I'm making myself wait until that damn thing is charged.

I have to remember that there is never a good time to quit, except for right this second. All three of my boys smoke and here again, want to be a better role model for them.

You can do it Kerry, you did it before, use those same tools. Keep talking about it.

By the way? It's really nice to see you back.

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.

Posted: August 15, 2011, 1:38 PM
Lots of really great advice here for ya ... thanks for reaching out and also for sharing where you're at. Reminds me to stay vigilant ... I'm quit now for almost 3 years, but hearing you talk about how you were quit for 1.5 and then went back ... it reminds me that we can fall at any point in time. I need to stay on my game for sure.

I've been using opiates, and the last two nights I've had one or two drinks as well ... which I hadn't been doing previously. The drinking on top of the opiates is new, and not a good sign at all. Lord, what a mess. Lord, help me. Literally.

My mother is angry because she never sees me and she's worried about me, and I won't see her to reassure her. I just don't want to a) lie to her b) feel responsible for making her feel better because she's my first and best codie and c) tell her the truth and get her involved in my life again.

At this time, I'm financially and emotionally independent of my parents ... and ... regardless of the fact that I love and miss them (sometimes), I must admit that I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life, primarily because they're out of my life. That feels so wrong. Is it, though?

Keep up the great work - and keep posting -

CB xo

--------------------
As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Zachary Scott
post replypost new topic