You Can Be Free

Posted: August 16, 2016, 11:12 PM
Next month will mark 16 years of being free of dope. Completely, totally free.

At one point I was homeless, sick and friendless; I sold everything of value I owned, including family heirlooms that can never be recovered. I lost jobs, stole and lived in total desperation, sick as a dog the whole time.

Now I have a beautiful home with the love of my life. I have healed the relationships with my family. I was able to stay employed at a company for over 10 years and am actually taking time off of work right now to relax and do a bit of traveling. My health is good and I am, for the most part, very happy.

I can't think of the last time I woke up thinking about dope. It has lost it's hold on me and I am so grateful for it. And this happened without ever really getting a clear idea of a Higher Power, working the steps perfectly or becoming a great help to others. I did attend many meetings the first handful of years, I did stay out of relationships for quite a while and I did work with a sponsor. None of it perfectly.

I say all of this because, when I realized that my birthday was coming up, I felt I needed to reach out to those that are still struggling. It has been so long since I felt like I could never, ever, ever beat addiction that I can't remember how it feels...and I want that for any and all of you who read this and are now suffering.

I promise you, it can be left behind. There is life beyond dope and it is so much better (not easier). You don't need all the answers, no one has them. You don't have to be perfect. You don't have to have a whole life plan laid out. It really is moment to moment and if you don't use for one moment, you win. And if you don't use for the next moment, you win again. And the wins start to stack up. And the next thing you know, you realize you haven't shot up in 16 years and it blows your mind.

Posted: August 19, 2016, 10:01 PM
scovel11

WOW!! It's AWESOME you've been clean for that long! I can't imagine. CONGRATULATIONS!!

I hope my daughter gets to a point where she is strong enough to be clean & drop the dope, before it kills her.

I'm SO happy to hear of the happy life & wife! Hearing you've healed relationships with family.

That took a lot of strength.

I love how you talked so gently to our addicts & (us) their families.

THANK YOU!

Stay well.

Your post gave me hope.

Love & God bless you,

Dee

Posted: August 20, 2016, 11:18 AM
So inspirational!!! Congraulations to you. You deserve every bit of the accomplishments you have achieved.

Hugs!

Posted: August 20, 2016, 11:46 AM
Meetings and The 12 Steps will certainly enable us to get our lives back.

I'm in my 28th year clean/sober and attend meetings regularly to give back.
Thank God the oldtimers were there for me.

I know I don't have addiction/alcoholism "beat". I have a daily reprieve.

All the best.

Bob R

This post has been edited by Papa Bear on August 20, 2016, 11:47 AM

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: August 21, 2016, 12:32 AM
Wow all them years clean....I'm just out of withdrawals reading ur post as give me inspiration to be a lifer myself man............hope I can be here in twenty odd years saying I'm still clean
Midana6566

Posted: August 22, 2016, 5:06 PM
Thank you for your post. I have been with my husband for almost 20 years, we are high school sweethearts. He has been a heroin user for the last year and half progressing from a Percocet addiction. On 8/11 my husband was arrested and sent to jail on a bench warrant for failure to appear at court. He spent 8 days in jail detoxing cold turkey from dope. He went to an NA meeting and listened to those convicts who have lost everything. He vowed to me he doesn't want to loose his children or me. On 8/20 he entered a 30 day program fully committed to be clean. You are giving me inspiration that he can leave a clean and sober life. I need hope in this horrible disease that contains a lot of negativity.
Nina

Posted: August 25, 2016, 12:09 AM
A little spark that lights the darkness. You just given back more than you'll ever know. Thank you! Congratulations!
JOHN M.

Posted: August 26, 2016, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your share. It is always GREAT to hear a success story. I attend 4 meetings a week. So many family members come in and say they have no hope. We know it works if you work it, and it won't if you don't.