How I Quit Drugs/alcohol, Then Quit Aa.

Posted: May 1, 2016, 12:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I used to have a problem with drugs and alcohol for quite some time. And a lot of the supposed "help" I recieved was actually quite detrimental in my getting of drugs and alcohol for good. Not all of it was, but a lot of it most certainly was. AA in particular, is utter hogwash in my estimation. The people at the meetings can be good, but the program itself is laughable at best. I've been through two rehabs. One was decent, the other was terrible. I have help from some good people in these programs, and meetings, and I've gotten into a lot of trouble at them as well.

In my opinion, what really helped me was working with a very solid pyschologist. Working with this man, really helped me to address the root causes of my addictions. Also, I think a lot of getting over addictions is basically just a maturing process.

I've been off street drugs and alcohol now for 3.5 years, and thankfully have stopped going to AA or any sort of "recovery" based type program. I am neither an alcoholic, or a drug addict. I was simply somebody who abused drugs and alcohol for a period of time, and was able to move on.

I feel happier, and more content with the direction of my life than I ever have. What I would really like to talk about though, is going to these programs, and just how badly I felt I was misled at these places. Most of what I was "taught", most of the prevailing "wisdom" was pure garbage.

A lot of these prorams use cult-like brain washing tactics, where you are going to be force-fed a lot of conceptions about how you should run your life. Even at the worst of problems, I always thought this was nonsense. I always used to think to myself: "Why do I have to just sit here and agree with this nonsense? It feels like I can't question ANYTHING."

And it certainly didn't help when I would hear people at AA meetings spout off brain-washed slogans like: "My best thinking got me here." or "Fake it till you make it."

Fake it till I make it...........in an "honesty program"? Really?

This is just the beginning. What I am setting out to do, is prevent people from getting sucked into the AA/Rehab occult like I did. I spent the better part of 10 years being force-fed propaganda, and I hope to GOD noneof you have to go through what I went through.

So in creating this thread, I am going to recite as best I can, my experiences with these programs. Hopefully, some of you will benefit from my experiences, and not repeat the MANY mistakes I made when trying to tackle my drug and alcohol problem. Thanks for the time, and I hope you enjoy it! -Matt