10 Years Of Awesome Life

Posted: November 7, 2008, 9:39 PM
Hi im from australia and got clean in Sydney over 10 years ago. Since getting clean I have been an Addiction councellor, studied Remedial Massage, owned my own Holistic Healing practice, and now about to study up north Bachelor of Indiginous Studies Trauma and Healing. I have worked in Rehabs and a Methadone detox, been a gambling councellor, 'A' grade football massage therapist, on the streets of Kings Cross as a Health Education Officer , watched my grandson being born (about to witness 3rd grandchild coming into the world), have rich and beautiful relationships with my daughters (who were both removed from me by welfare at different times due to my drug abuse) and the list goes on. If I had been told before I got clean this would be my life I would never have believed them. The most amazing of it all is the relationship I have with myself...no more do I feed myself negative and self defeating messages, I believe now I deserve the very best in life. I appreciate myself and am honest, no longer decieving myself or others. It has been a hard road, many times having to confront that which terrified me (like having a feeling!!!, lol), lots of therapy, attending 12 step meetings, even when I didnt want to (because they inspired me, giving me hope, stopped me from isolation and challenged me to keep going and not give up) group after group and also becoming disciplined in meditation (the key to my recovery and perhaps the only thing that eventually would shut my head up). I wanted to write this because when I was using (I started at 14 and stopped at 37) I never heard any success stories I just believed those that disappeared died- not that they actually came through it and were living a life free of addiction. So here I am constantly in awe of life and determined to light the way for those on the path. In love and light, x