post replypost new topic
Be Aware Of The Old Addict/alkie Friends

Posted: December 21, 2020, 7:04 PM
Be aware of the older alkie/addict friends of a young adult especially if they have or had drug & alcohol issues. A older substance abuser will give the young the false impression they can lead that life with minimal consequence. And similar behavior from an older peer will vailidate their behavior.

And just like a young kid hanging out with the older kids that could lead to trouble for a young adult. It is possible for fall in with the wrong crowd as an adult. Especially since drug and/or alcohol abuse stunted the maturity and distorted the decision making ability of all involved

This post has been edited by samegame on December 21, 2020, 7:18 PM

Posted: December 21, 2020, 8:16 PM
Great point Samegame

Posted: December 21, 2020, 8:19 PM
Awww that sucks same game!! Sorry

Posted: December 22, 2020, 12:17 PM
Have a family alkie who boasted he partied with his boss with not only alcohol but cocaine as well. A superior doing/abusing drugs is almost the samething because it helps validate addictive behavior especially to the young, immature or niave. He also hung out with a drunk almost double his age last century now his drinking buddies are half his age. That's because the young will follow and thus validate the behavior.

Most people grow out of a party or excessive drinking phase but if they are hanging out with elders that still party or drink like they are in their teens, early 20s that 50 year old is sending the wrong message to youth. That cycle will repeat. I've seen it.

It's one thing to seek a mentor at work or for a particular sober endeavor , business, hobby etc but another to seek a mentor to party. But thats what older drinking and drugging friends wind up being intentional or not. Mentors in the world of alcoholism and drug abuse.

Posted: December 22, 2020, 11:28 PM
Addiction is so multifaceted. It affects many levels and aspects of functioning. Life is hard even without an addiction, throw an addiction into the mix and it's REALLY hard. My daughter is living with other people like herself, all ages. Just barely getting by and constant drama and chaos. Getting thrown out then going back over and over again. It's a 'Lord of the Flies ' existence. I ask her if she is ready to change her life? I will help you.....there's always something she has to wait for or some reason she can't right now. I just keep asking...

This post has been edited by Sallyana on December 23, 2020, 8:36 AM
post replypost new topic