post replypost new topic
Methadone

Posted: September 28, 2020, 3:40 PM
Hi everyone! I would be interested in knowing if anyone's family member who has an addiction to heroin has had any success with methadone replacement treatment? Any experiences you can share would be helpful. Thank you.

Posted: September 30, 2020, 11:34 PM
Hi Sallyanna - I dont have enough experience to have a good opinion. I'm sure you have read the postings in the Methodone board. It sounds like a good alternative that might not be perfect, but is a life saver for those who have done well with it. Sounds like it should try to use lower doses and maybe temporary. It has been around for a long time. Maybe look into the Vivitrol ? a newer method? It does sound like the outcome depends on how well the person is able to manage their situation.

My son did try it early last year when life was a mess, only for about a month, I dont think it was a serious attempt. he was not living at home.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on September 30, 2020, 11:35 PM

Posted: October 1, 2020, 4:34 AM
Hello not been on for a while, is the methadone treatment effective with the meth, I didn’t know that, is your daughter wanting to try the treatment

Posted: October 1, 2020, 6:21 PM
My daughter keeps talking about it yet doesnt make it happen. She has limited funds and no car. I think the idea of it is good because she needs a step down due to her high level of addiction. I don't think she has the self discipline to follow through because you have to get up early each morning, go to the clinic, and take your dose for the day. Then, she talks about getting it on the street which is a horrible idea. IDK....

Thanks for your responses NTF and Sad Eyes. I don't know much about the Vivitrol. I think it may be a shot? Methadone will not work on meth sad eyes. Its for opioid addiction. Meth is in a different class of drug.

Posted: October 2, 2020, 7:23 PM
Hello Sallyanna. Sorry things haven't changed much. All too common

I think you got it right-does she have the discpline to go to a clinic on a regular basis. The only person i know of was/is spent over half their life as an opioid addict. They did it off and on winding up relapsing or never taking it seriously. Lets put it this way by their second decade dealing with opioids they had to fight for custody of their child and were gettign evicted because the rent money didn't go for rent.

To me it still comes down to do they really really want to change even it's easing up rather than quitting. Maybe that's why some advocate quitting more than trying to control or manage an addiction.

Posted: October 2, 2020, 9:14 PM
Addiction is definitely a conundrum. My son decided to go to a rehab at a hospital for a month to be able to save his $200 Unemployment. To figure out where to go next to start over. We talked about sober living ideas. 1. He went to the rehab, back out in one week. He thought it would be longer, but the hospital didn’t do long term just detox. He didn’t know. 2. He called a transitional housing program in another state. They are now full and since he is out of their state and Covid issues might make a transition to another state harder or impossible. 3. He says he was ‘calling places all day’ but has no other leads. 4. He talked about transferring $ to an account we are joint on so he won’t spend it. But he hasn’t done that. That part brings me to tears. And angers me at the same time.
He says something but doesn’t do it, and wonders why he’s in the same boat. We can not pick him up and fix it like we used to. Like the saying goes, You can’t live their life for them, they have to do it. So sad to wait and watch.
Things that sound simple to me, he does not do or have interest in doing, yet what he does do to survive seems more difficult.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on October 2, 2020, 10:15 PM
post replypost new topic