post replypost new topic
First Conversation With Son In Rehab

Posted: September 10, 2020, 9:44 PM
This will be my first conversation with my son after one month of rehab. What kind of questions/comments should I ask him that will be helpful for our relationship?
Thanks

Posted: September 10, 2020, 10:20 PM
The family visits always make me nervous. I don’t know what to expect. I don’t know how my son is going to react. Usually he has been happier, more relaxed. I think it is awkward but a therapist or someone is usually around to help ease the tension.

Most likely the organization has the day planned. Just try to be pleasant and positive and go with the flow. It usually isn’t a therapy session. Keep the talk general, something like We love you but we don’t like the situation you have put yourself in. And our family in. Avoid talk that becomes stressful. Its ok to be honest but not mean. Idk how your relationship with your son usually is.

My husband does not do too well. He has an attitude and agenda and wants to blame. Last year I did not go to the visit. My son asked to come home, his dad said no, they decided there was nothing to talk about. Know that this is after about 5 years of addiction bs, 4 rehabs, a lot of recent hell caused by son, and son was in a hospital rehab where he was medicated, so he also had an attitude.

I think he was first in the psyc ward where he was medicated, and then went to the rehab ward , and he didn’t want to go to detox.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on September 10, 2020, 10:35 PM

Posted: September 10, 2020, 10:53 PM
maybe let him take the lead & see what happens. He might have things he wants or needs to say to you. If things get accusatory or blaming tell him you aren't ready to approach those yet but you'll give his comments some thoughts. We live in another state so we were not able to visit him in his rehab or sober living. My son was so happy with his progress & was very clear headed, so they were positive talks
post replypost new topic