post replypost new topic
Reality Of Addiction

Posted: July 22, 2020, 1:32 AM
In my experience, the reality of addiction is a pretty dark picture. It becomes a chronic condition which gets worse with time. Treatment is great while they are there in a controlled environment. When they get out, they are too exposed to a life they are not familiar with. Post treatment options are generally too unstructured for what they need. Most can't seem to cope and then go back to what is familiar, using. They gradually lose everything including their dignity. They are caught in the web of addiction. They are people who are suffering and it's so hard to watch and listen to. We love them and care about them. We help as much as we can. We suffer too. Addiction is process of 'little murders' one after another to its victim and their loved ones. I hate it.

Posted: July 22, 2020, 10:05 AM
hugs SallyAnna! I agree, the "experts" over simplify the process. We cling to the hope that detox, rehab & aftercare will help our addicts feel so good with their new life they'll never go back to their addicted life. I don't THINK my son is using - he has a job & is starting a new relationship, but he held a job for years, but I also know he is a master of manipulation & lies. He's arrogant & thinks he is better than addiction, he "knows" what he has to do without a sponsor or meetings..... I know he is always one bad day away from relapse.
post replypost new topic