post replypost new topic
I Think

Posted: February 15, 2020, 1:14 AM
I think what Beautiful Boy and Tweaked did was bring addiction out of the closet and into the light. It tells a real story with real people. It describes the anguish and suffering of addiction from both perspectives, parent and adult child. Its very raw and for people without first hand experience, it's an eye opener. It describes the hell everyone goes through.

I don't think, on the other hand, this makes David and Nick experts on addiction. I think they have the experience of addiction and have been very proficient at writing books about it which is very valuable to our society. A society which likes things neat and tidy and where there is no time and limited resources for the maladjusted.

I think what's needed is a standard of care for people with addictions. More money needs to be allocated to bring high quality, consistant, long term care. Addiction needs a hero so all people can get the care they need and not have to worry about cost or length of stay.

This post has been edited by Sallyana on February 15, 2020, 6:00 AM

Posted: February 15, 2020, 7:51 AM
Thank you, Sallyana! I totally agree. In addition to a standard of care, we need additional research into the causes of and the physiological/neurological effects of addiction.
Addiction (and mental illness) still carry a stigma. Efforts also need to be made to educate-including the healthcare community.

Posted: February 15, 2020, 10:01 AM
I didn't want to watch Beautiful Boy because it was too soon & too close to my heart. I will watch it one of these days, just not yet :)

Posted: February 16, 2020, 2:40 PM
Hannah I agree with you too on research and education, community resources. Much, much needed.
post replypost new topic