post replypost new topic
Continuously Offering Taxis To Alkies Enabling?

Posted: January 7, 2020, 7:02 AM
Is continuously offering taxis, ubers or rides to adult alkies enabling.Are you really doing them a favor under the premise they won't get a dui or crash?

Worse yet is continuously offering a ride to a non alcoholic adult to or from events where there will be alcohol creating an alcoholic?

Are ride offers validating alcoholic behavior and grooming them to think someone else will always get them home?

This post has been edited by samegame on January 7, 2020, 7:10 AM

Posted: January 7, 2020, 8:12 AM
I guess in some distorted way it's being responsible?

I'm still having trouble understanding why everyone 'caters' to this guy?

Posted: January 7, 2020, 10:23 AM
It's not just the family member. He's currently hanging with much younger adults who still live at home and the parents offer him and their son free rides. They are spoiling their young adult by rubber stamping the excessive drinking with a free ride. They do worry about a dui or crash so they are aware of excessive drinking. But by trying to protect they are enabling and entrenching the idea that someone will always be there for them.

Here the gf enables the alkie but she participates half the time which is an issue. Sometimes it feels like the public is extorted by the go out to drink crowd because they are going for their high no matter what.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there a segment of society that seems to cater to potential drunk drivers. Is society making it too easy to drink period.

This post has been edited by samegame on January 7, 2020, 10:51 AM

Posted: January 7, 2020, 11:06 AM

One could say offering free rides to an alkie is akin to safe injection sites for intravenous drug users.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/10...harm-community/

The question is do you try to control or eliminate the problem. As family or friend one realizes until the user/abuser wants to change nothing will happen. Society as a whole needs to learn that same lesson.

Posted: January 7, 2020, 8:37 PM
I personally don't think it's society's fault or responsibility if I choose to abuse anything and become addicted. If I become addicted (to whatever) then it's my personal responsibility to address it. If I don't, then there are serious consequences.

Posted: January 9, 2020, 11:03 PM
I agree. I don’t think it’s society’s fault per se, though I do thing our culture does promote drinking as a kind of social norm.... which arguably has an impact but I also know I have to take responsibility for my choices just like the Allie/addict does. And just like my partner who struggles with alcohol has a disease called alcoholism, I have one that is called co-dependency. Somehow this helps me find compassion for him even though our behavior patterns are two vastly different scenarios. I do however think it is enabling every time I go to pick my partner up from a bar to save him bc he’s chosen to drink and that isn’t healthy or helpful to anyone involved, even if I think it will be beneficial to keep him from making more bad choices, I.e driving drunk or drinking himself into oblivion. *sigh It’s really challenging to see just how unhealthy our society is and how the every day stresses of life, unaddressed issues of mental illness, and a whole host of other problems contribute to people choosing to drink or do drugs to cope. If I think about it too much, it saddens me because living with an addict is heartbreaking.

Posted: January 13, 2020, 3:14 PM
If the alkie drives drunk, he's endangering himself, and everyone else in the road or in the car with him.

The alcoholic should be face his consequences of poor decisions, but not innocent bystanders.

And isn't this what uber and lyft are all about?
post replypost new topic