Son Went To Rehab On His Own Yesterday
Posted: October 27, 2019, 12:00 AM

My son sought treatment yesterday all on his own. He will spend a week detoxing and then at least two weeks in rehab. I never thought he would do it. He has been in denial for such a long time. His personal and professional life, as well as his health, has been in a downward spiral for months. He finally faced his addiction after passing out in the bathroom. He woke up bloodied with two black eyes and no memory of what happened. He contacted a treatment center that night and entered treatment in the morning.

I am so proud of him and so hopeful for his future now. But also sad. I know how scared he must have been, and how hard it was for him to finally admit he had an addiction problem and needed help. I have been crying and teary eyed. After such a long time worrying, and stressing and dealing with his irrational behavior, I guess everything has come to a head now. And I am just a bit of an emotional wreck.
Posted: October 27, 2019, 9:19 AM

Hi Mimi, Thank you for sharing. That is good news that your son entered treatment on his own. Each time my son goes to rehab/treatment, I do feel like he learns a little more about himself and his addiction. I also think it helps us to know that he can do it and gives us a new boundary. It shows us and him that there is a place to go with people (experts-medical) who have the skills and tools to help him. As we do not have these skills. we are not experts in this field and can not supply the help he needs. It gives us a safety net. The treatment center my son is at also has a men's shelter. Now, if life goes off the rails, I have another tool in my pocket. When he says 'I have no where to go" -- we now know there is a safe place to go.

One thing I have learned from watching YouTube videos is that the ones who have difficulty staying sober on there own, need continued participation in a program that helps them stay sober.
Posted: October 27, 2019, 12:22 PM

Yes, very good news Mimi. I'm happy your son realizes he needs help to get into recovery. I wish all the best for him and for you!
Posted: October 27, 2019, 12:26 PM

NTF you are doing awesome!!! I think your son knows now he has to really do this on his own and you won't bail him out. Sounds like he's in the right place and on the right path now. So are you sister 😊
Posted: October 27, 2019, 12:35 PM

Thank you so, so much for your support. Yes, we are all so sisters in this agony.
Posted: October 27, 2019, 8:48 PM

WONDERFUL!!!!!
Posted: October 27, 2019, 9:29 PM

Great news! How scary to wake up in a bathroom like that! I would be freaking out, too. I'll keep your family in my thoughts. This is a great, positive step!
  top of page  Top