The Long Road
Posted: May 9, 2019, 3:40 PM

Hello all,

I am the mother of a 41 year old addict. I am not sure when it started....she has probably used recreationally her whole life. But just a mere 10 years ago she was a good mother to two beautiful children, owned a successful cleaning business, had repaired her credit to be able to finance her own car, and was in the process of negotiating a deal to buy the rental house she had been living in for 3 plus years. All while being a single mom.

It seemed to start with pain medicine, then there was the methadone clinic. In the meantime she began stealing and did so to the wrong person in our community. She was given a 5 year sentence and spent 1 year in prison before being paroled.

She came to live with me and things were "okay". She attended an IOP program that was mandatory upon her release, and was random drug tested until she fulfilled her sentence.

Nearly 2 years ago, the train started coming off the rails. I won't break it all down, because I would need to write a book to cover it all. There have been multiple arrests....at least 4 felony charges pending now. She has thought that someone was "in her phone" for the past year. She thinks she is being followed by men in camouflage and that we are recording her through the TV when she is at our home. She has been evicted 3 times and homeless for nearly a year. Her children are now in the custody of their fathers.

I found out she had started going back to the methadone clinic, and I blamed everything on that. Until she was picked up with methamphetamine in her possession last fall. I filed a Casey's Law petition here in KY, which is an involuntary treatment petition to the courts. We finally got her into a bed by order of a judge just a month ago. She walked out the next day and hitchhiked nearly 200 miles to get back to the town where she couch surfs I guess.

Last week she was picked up in a stolen car, with meth on her, and has been in isolation in the jail ever since, because she was acting a fool....and I understand why they have to do what they do....but the child is out of her mind. She is paranoid, delusional and her reality is not REALITY. We did get the judge to order a psychiatric evaluation at the Correctional Psychiatric hospital in the state.

I now suspect through much research and reading on forums like this, that METH has been involved in her life for awhile. How long does it take for someone to have psychosis like this after they start using?

Anyway....thank you all for the stories and situations that you share. It has been a source of comfort and education to read the posts on this site.

Big hug to you all.

Posted: May 9, 2019, 7:26 PM

Hello
Same game posted this link on another message board

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/some-ad...is-study-finds/
This hits the nail on the head - listen between the lines. I think Adderall, Xanax, kolonopin are a health crisis equal the the opioid crisis. They all go together.

On this never ending road we have all tried to unravel what we are seeing in our loved one. Are they on something, off something, mental illness. From others stories Meth provokes psychosis behavior. Apparently other drugs can cause psychosis. I’m sure whatever they mix together isn’t good. I read about someone doing both Adderall and klonopin together. It sounded deadly - the body being on speed and asleep at the same time. It is frightening.

I have concluded that only 100% sobriety is acceptable. My son thinks he needs Adderall and klonopin to function. He is brain washed by the medications. He goes to dr and tells his symptoms and that is what they give him because his symptoms are the side effects of over medicating himself.

Posted: May 9, 2019, 7:36 PM

Last summer when my son was clean, I noticed an Adderall Rx in his room. The rx is for Amphetimine Salt - I think it is same as Adderall. He had gone to a different dr to get it. I realized his negative comments at that time were bc of that.

He thinks bc it is a prescription it’s not a drug.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on May 9, 2019, 7:37 PM
Posted: May 9, 2019, 8:20 PM

Yes! To both of your responses. She has had Adderall in her possession and she has a prescription for Gabapentin....which I believe is the next drug we will see a lot of problems with. She wants me to bring her “prescription” to the jail, but I will not. It was a forbidden prescription at the treatment facility.... which tells me all I need to know.

Posted: May 9, 2019, 9:49 PM

I think they have to use Meth awhile before they will have a break with reality. I believe it varies from person to person. Perhaps one person is more likely than another (predisposition?) for a psychotic break. I have read that once it happens, it is more likely to happen again and doesn’t take much to set it off. I am not even sure they have to be using Meth for it to happen again and again once their brain is messed up. My son’s DOC is Meth but he has used other drugs as well. I am not sure his brain will ever return to normal. They can be so unpredictable and paranoid. They really have no idea what’s going on around them or what they are doing. Smoking Spice will do much the same thing and causes similar behavior. I think some people can return to normal after being off the drug for awhile if they haven’t used long. Others have permanent mental health problems and require medication their whole lives. After the Meth is out of their system, they are usually no longer psychotic or out of control but they are still far from normal.

This post has been edited by BugginMe on May 9, 2019, 9:52 PM

--------------------
BUGS
Posted: May 9, 2019, 10:34 PM

I’m sure you won’t bring the meds to the jail. I just need to say if u do you can and most likely would be arrested for bringing in ‘drugs’ to the jail. Crazy that she would even ask u to or expect that u would!

Buggs - yup it scares me now that my son is on the streets. No idea what he will be using. He is easily influenced by others ( except us/parents) . At least at home there was some sort of limit. But he ruined that privledge

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on May 9, 2019, 10:40 PM
Posted: May 10, 2019, 9:44 AM

KY, My guess shes done somekind of drinking or drugging throughout her life, probably even teen years. In their youth is when a casual attitude towards getting high can develop. Throw in the wrong crowd,combination of events & environment one has a recipe for trouble. She must really want to change, not just stop using. Detox AND change should be the plan.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Ny, be leary of adderall in an adult. I've seen it change the personality and demeanor of a user quick. I've seen moody short tempered alcoholics go into a psychotic demeanor ready to fight or go into a rage with the drop of a hat. Stay safe.

This post has been edited by samegame on May 10, 2019, 9:46 AM
Posted: May 10, 2019, 10:10 PM

Same game. Thanks for the confirmation. I see it turn my son from friendly, helpful to moody, angry, coldish. Not quite violent, but yes I can see it getting there if the situation provoked it. I think that is the mood he has been in at the hospital. He has not been violent to us, but I would not be sleeping if he was at our house! Not sure how he feels about us ignoring him and not ‘helping’ him. And not allowed to come home. I don’t think he would want to hurt us but who knows now. Plus the mix of meds he is on. ...

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on May 10, 2019, 10:13 PM
Posted: May 11, 2019, 4:03 AM

My son had Adderall-they sniff it, I found out later. It is very dangerous and two of his friends ended up in the emergency room. Of course, I did not know that back then. When I stopped his prescription (he was 17), he came unglued. I found out later that he had begun buying it on the street. I heard him snorting and sneezing-now I know why.
Luckily he has not used that in awhile.

My son had a break with reality on spice. It is hard to tell. And, so hard to tell if mental illness involved. Really, they don't belong in jail, but there is nowhere else (at least in the US). Our mental health system is broken, so they end up in jail.
Posted: May 11, 2019, 10:48 AM

Parenting2 I think it's a combination of the drugs, character/life experiences and maybe some genetics.

The biggest problem with kids or adults that started drinking and drugging early in life is that really don't have a sober frame of reference to return to or strive for. So now it becomes a matter of change. Change is tough. But 'change' is what should be to sold to them along with sobriety.

I've seen adderall and/or even pot change a demeanor or personality. Part of that is the person doesn't have the wisdom or life experience to resist or realize what it's doing to them. By then it's a matter of instant or continuous gratification. There's plenty of selfishness there too, especially as an adult because a lot of stuff in life is absorbed or learned simply by living. After a certain point an addict or alkie has to realize something isn't right wether it's their health, empty bank account or peers getting arrested. One would figure 'the stick' or negative consequences would be enough as it is for many living things.

Came across when researching adderall and other things because it's what I've observed to one degree or another.

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-amp...m#didyouknowout

https://www.inverse.com/article/5422...alin-adhd-drugs

A confirmation not so much a revelation.

Posted: May 11, 2019, 12:28 PM

Hi Ky. I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter. Just when we think it's already really bad it gets worse. I'm sorry I don't know much about meth. My daughter is addicted to heroin. I do know all these drugs affect their mind and also the stuff the drug dealers cut it with. Which is so scary. I hope your daughter gets the help she needs. I'm sorry you are going through all this too.
  top of page  Top