post replypost new topic
Why Can't They Hear Their Own Words.

Posted: April 9, 2019, 6:25 PM
Today I was with my 31yr daughter at her pysch med appt today. The psychiatrist suggested that she go to rehab.
She is stable on her meds,not hearing voices,only seeing shadows now.
Of course my daughter refuses. She says she is doing better..yes she feels bad and hallucinate when she uses,but it's not that bad. And not that often. And she only uses because it helps her get things done.(no job, no car,no money.What is she getting done? )
I want to shake her,and yell do you hear the words coming out of your mouth.

Posted: April 9, 2019, 8:14 PM
I can relate to your post walkedon. I often feel this way after talking to my daughter. I think their point of reference is skewed. Their definition of "I'm doing better" is not what we would call doing better. For my daughter, her level of functioning is so low. I do think this is where they are and where they are is where treatment has to start (if they are willing to go). Its very sad because I know my daughter's potential is so great if only she could see it. Your daughter probably thinks she's better because of where she was before the psych meds. I hope she will choose to go to rehab soon.

Posted: April 10, 2019, 2:15 AM
You watch alot of the addicts on shows Intervention or Celebrity Rehab they talk about a certain feeling they are seeking. I don't want to say euphoria but the discomfort from something like stress or physical work throws them off. Any change or alteration from a high state seems to throw them off mentally, not just withdrawal etc.

This post has been edited by samegame on April 10, 2019, 2:39 AM

Posted: April 10, 2019, 7:36 AM
It is a common pattern. I can hear my son in this post, also. When he was younger, I would ask him to do something, and he would say he was so busy he could not do (whatever simple task). When really he had nothing to do at all. I think, in part, his brain is so active that he gets overwhelmed. But, there is a certain nonreality about their thinking and about what is going on around them.

Posted: April 10, 2019, 8:10 AM
For my daughter, doing her DOC is a way to 'check out'. She doesn't seem to 'fit' in the world (her interpretation), very uncomfortable around other people. She's very self conscious and her way of looking and responding to things is sometimes emotionally immature. Yet at the same time, she's one of the neatest people you'd ever meet. Very creative and bright with a good sense of humor.

Posted: April 10, 2019, 10:48 PM
hello - my son is still out of our house. he went back to work this week. my husband drove him in on first day, he took a bus home. (he is now living in a city area - luckily the bus route goes close to place of employment and his boss was picking him up) he took the bus home and for next two days took bus to and from work. this is the FIRST time he has ever used public transportation. he has shunned it in the past. he is getting help at a treatment center. husband says he is grumpy and negative about how badly he is living. he is renting room, theres cockroaches, he has missed work over the last two weeks so paychecks will be short and has to pay rent, on and on, and paycheck will be gone as soon as he gets it.....

but he still will not admit any of it was bc of his bad decisions. He said he has to go to the library to use their computers... he had a nice laptop up until February, but he wont admit he should not have sold it. he will say he didn't have a choice, he needed money.... what stinks is that I paid $500 to replace the screen 6 months ago for his birthday gift.

I know we cant understand it. at the moment he is desperate and sells computer. then regrets it a month later. isn't is harder to save and buy a new one, than it is to hold on to the one you have?

the effort he is using to stay alive now is 100 times more of a struggle than it was at home.

hopefully he gets it some day.

I do think part of this has to do with maturity.

my son too - socially does not want to embarrass himself, feels out of place. part of it is because of the drug use, trying to keep secrets, doesn't fit in with regular people, don't know what to say, have a vastly different life experience that non-addicts would not relate to.

I can see that the longer they are in the addiction life, the longer it will take to be comfortable when sober, if ever.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on April 10, 2019, 10:52 PM

Posted: April 11, 2019, 8:07 PM
When they are sober/clean, they are people we can be proud of.

Posted: April 12, 2019, 3:11 AM
Nyt I hope your son continues his treatment, is he seeing a counciller? we worry when there with us and, maybe worry more when they leave, ime not sure what the better is, either way we worry, hope he continues with his job to, good luck

This post has been edited by sad eyes on April 12, 2019, 3:12 AM
post replypost new topic