Alcoholic Or Not?
Mk
Posted: February 18, 2019, 8:37 PM

I am trying to sort out whether my hubby is an alcoholic or I am being too hard on him, as he words it. He says I want to ruin his enjoyment by wanting him to stop drinking. He drinks 7 nights a week and heavily on weekends. He has been drinking for many years. It has affected his sexual performance as well but he says it has nothing to do with it. It has also started to change his personality. He gets down right stupid, especially after shots of whiskey, which he calls little "nips" that are barely anything. I can't be around him anymore when he is drinking but he has made me feel like it's me and not him. I have talked to him so much and tried to explain it is harming our 30 year marriage but he keeps telling me there isn't a problem, expect me for wanting to take his pleasure away. I really don't know what to think.
Posted: February 19, 2019, 9:40 AM

I'm sorry to say your husband is addicted to alcohol.
Posted: February 19, 2019, 9:59 AM

I agree with Sallyanna. Drinks everyday ignoring consequences and affects moods, demeanor etc. equals Alcoholic.

And until he really really wants to change on his own talking to him won't do much.

Big thing is keep yourself safe physically and/or financially.

Good Luck
Posted: February 19, 2019, 8:11 PM

Thank you for your replies.
Posted: February 20, 2019, 3:12 AM

MK as samegame said in her post it's very important to take care of yourself emotionally, physically, and financially. With addiction, it's all consuming not only for the person who has it but also for spouses and family. Everything evolves around the addiction in the family dynamics and in your relationship. Its he wants to let his life evolve around alcohol that is his choice but it does not have to be your choice. Try not to let this happen to you because then the addiction takes two lives and it's very unhealthy. You deserve to be healthy and happy. We all do.
Posted: August 30, 2019, 7:20 AM

Hi Mk ! Firstly sorry because I think I am quite late to be part of this thread, But i would ask you one question: have you ever tried to contact with alcohol abuse hotline centers. Dear take help from the experts. Surely they will guide you in a better way as what to do in this regard.
  top of page  Top