Consequences
Posted: November 28, 2018, 11:42 PM

Were you ever forced into changing anything? I remember delaying updating my drivers license and getting stopped and got a ticket for my DL went as soon as I could and got a new one....on a payment plan with the IRS missed a couple of payments...got a letter of 'intent to levy' ....got caught up with my missing 3 payments ASAP had 30 days to do it.....I think consequences do change behavior. I think it's important, as hard as it is, to let our addicted adult children experience the consequences of their behaviors...I think it's the only way they will learn. What do you think?
Posted: November 29, 2018, 11:25 AM

Absolutely agree! I have been in recovery for 5+ years and I can say that feeling the full weight of my addiction lead me to seek recovery.

Not that I blame my family enabling for my addiction. I take full responsibility for my illness and recovery. When the enabling stopped, it gave me a very bleak view of what my life had become and only then did I seek out the help I needed!

Learning occurs from mistakes...from learning to walk to learning to recover. If you shelter an addict from the consequences of their using, you are depriving them of an oportunity to grow and learn!
Posted: November 30, 2018, 3:44 PM

Lolleedee congratulations on your sobriety!! I really like reading your posts. You're an inspiration and you sound like a really neat person too (very positive). I'd like to ask you if you don't mind, what was your turning point from addiction to sobriety?
Posted: December 1, 2018, 3:50 PM

Yes, lollee, it always helps to read your posts. I agree so much and needed to hear this again.
  top of page  Top