Feeling Helpless And Angry
Kiwi Gal
Posted: February 23, 2018, 4:56 AM

Hello everyone.
I was in a relationship with a man up until very recently.
We'd been dating for a year and a half with him living with his aunt on her lifestyle farm.
Around September last year he fell off the wagon after 24 years sober. He's not really given us a reason why he started again.
He's has 3 relapses since then and the last one a week ago ended up with him in hospital (he was deemed a danger to himself and had a minder with him at all times) and being tresspassed from his home. He was supposed to be getting assessed the morning he self discharged from our local hospital.
He refuses professional help and will not go into a facility to assist in his recovery.
We broke up over the phone on Tuesday and Wednesday night he turned up on my doorstep cold and with tears in his eyes. Hed been sleeping in his car. I gave him shelter and said he can sleep in the spare room.
I have told him if I catch him drunk or drinking then he's out on the street - and I wholeheartedly mean that.
Right now, I can't really smell any alcohol but I suspect he has been drinking. The house smells of aftershave and there is another smell I can't put my finger on.
He has lied about drinking to me in the past (one time when he was DRUNK and I asked if he had been drinking, he denied It!), is confused and in denial about the extent of his condition.
He has rejected his friends and family.
What should I do? What would you do?
Posted: February 23, 2018, 6:54 PM

Hi Gal, I’m sorry your going through all this worry with your boyfriend. Hopefully he sees you know what’s going on and he’s not fooling anyone but himself. It’s sad to watch someone you love destroying themselves. Look under the message boards for “Alcohol” maybe reading on there will help you understand what your up against. Like any addiction I don’t think you can just quit cold turkey, maybe that’s why he keeps relapsing. Take care. Mary.

This post has been edited by Mandm on February 23, 2018, 7:00 PM
  top of page  Top