post replypost new topic
Mom Of A Meth Addict

Posted: January 30, 2017, 3:01 PM
Wanting to know if any parents out there have been affected by a Meth addict adult child. Just need some kind words of wisdom.......
Prayer Warrior

Posted: January 30, 2017, 7:41 PM
You are not alone! My son just turned 21 last week... and he is addicted to meth. I woke up this morning wondering if maybe meth addiction was tied somehow to a mineral/nutritional imbalance... and found this site looking for information. There has to be SOMETHING that can help counteract the need they feel for this drug. If anyone has any first hand knowledge that would help...it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: January 30, 2017, 10:14 PM
read the postings under Families/Partners of Addicts - you will find other moms there. read the past postings to see more of the background of what these families have been thru. keep looking for information in your community. it isn't easy and there is much heartbreak and sadness.

Posted: January 31, 2017, 12:59 PM
I have kind words, but not much wisdom. Glad you joined us but sad for the reason. My son is 35 and has used drugs since he was about 13. Meth & marijuana are what he uses most often but he has used other things. I am still struggling with it and just trying to get from day to day without a meltdown. Attempting to detach, not enable, and be happy despite it all. Not an easy thing for us mothers to do. This board has helped me because everyone here is going through something similar. Welcome!

--------------------
BUGS

Posted: January 31, 2017, 8:53 PM
Hi
My 21 yo son is addicted to meth. It's awful. It changes who they are.
He's been homeless almost a week and I know he has been so messed up.
I had to go get on nerve pills and sleeping pills because it's been so hard.
I never take pills. I've stood firm...didn't pay his phone bill, didn't send
Money for food which would have went for meth.
I've had 5 hours sleep in 48 hours ....I'm exhausted!!
I didn't know if Z was dead or alive but received a call today that he is in
Jail. 250$ could have gotten him out but....not doing it. He can sit there
Until next week and see what the judge says. It's his 3rd offense so he may
Be in jail for awhile. Praying he will get it together
Hugs and Prayers
Paula

Posted: January 31, 2017, 10:37 PM
Hi Paula, so sorry to hear about Zach. Try to rest. Nothing you can do. It must be difficult.

Posted: February 1, 2017, 8:23 AM
Paula--

You did all you could and now it is time to take care of you! Get some rest and stay well! I pray for Z and for you everyday!

((((HUGS)))) Lori

Posted: April 14, 2017, 8:52 AM
Someone help! My 31 year old is high out of his mind talking to himself. I am going to kick him out of my house but don't know if I should wait until he is somewhat sane first. What is the right thing to do?

Posted: April 14, 2017, 3:28 PM
Hi - I dont know too much about this, but YES - WAIT until he is sane. I have read others advice - not to provoke the person when they are high. but take care of your self and others in your home if you are in danger. leave the house and/or call the police. Any young kids - bring somewhere else to stay until the home is safe.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on April 14, 2017, 3:28 PM

Posted: February 12, 2019, 4:47 PM
My daughter has been an addict for about 10 years, as far as I can tell. For a long time, I didn't understand what was wrong with her and therefore, kept supporting her and trying to help her through psychologists. I thought she was bi-polar, mostly. My sweet little girl is now vile and hateful and like most, has ended up homeless. I liken this experience to someone who's child has been kidnapped or taken, which in my opinion, is the worst thing a parent can go through. We don't know where our children are, if they are suffering, if they will ever be returned and if they are, how damaged they will be. We grieve as if they are dead, but are not allowed the closure. I too feel excruciating pain every second of the day. I have been reading about how to live my life fully while excepting my daughter's choices, but I do not want to. Living out the rest of my life this way and watching my daughter die (she nearly has 3 times that I know of) before she's ever had a chance to really live is unacceptable. And from what I have learned about meth and the way it attaches to the pain centers of the brain, quitting is brutal and the addict usually does not want to, therefor they will not accept the help they need. I wonder if there is any way to force her into a rehab. I know that I can't here in the United States because she is legally an adult, but I am willing to try to get her to one in another country that may not have the same laws. Has anyone heard of this ever being done?

Posted: February 12, 2019, 7:16 PM
my son is almost 44, addicted to meth for over 20 years. Rehab several times, won't do any post rehab care & says he knows what he has to do but of course never does. Was clean for about a year & a half but this time has relapsed BAD! He lies, steals, curses, uses, lost his job, house & is living with a girl friend that he lies too all the time & gets suicidal when she calls him on it (manipulates her, us, brothers, everyone).

We aren't sure if he is mentally ill & using makes it worse or if meth has destroyed his brain or all of the above. I too am detaching & not engaging. He does NOT live with me & will never live with me. I don't trust him, I don't believe him & I have absolutely NO REASON to. I didn't cause his addiction, I can't fix or force him to get help & I can't control what he does. Helping is NOT helping. You could tell you son that he can no longer live in your home unless he gets into treatment & then only way afterwards he can continue to live in your home is to submit to drug tests & get a job. But it is a rough, tough road. You will do everything in your power to "help" & get him help, but they do what they want & lie about it and it will never be their fault.

Best of luck & there is a definitely comfort here, talking to other parents who love their addicts but have to distance themselves for their own sanity.

Posted: February 12, 2019, 11:02 PM
Texasjules I personally have not known anyone who has done that and I'm not sure if it's even legally possible because you'd be violating her rights. I am not a lawyer so I don't know. You may consider an intervention and see if she'll agree to go? From my own experience, with my daughter who has an addiction to heroin, I could never force her. She had to decide to go on her own and she has chosen to at least 4 times and she does very well in rehab but sadly fails shortly after discharge. Unless they choose to go, it's pretty much fruitless in my opinion. Has she ever been to detox or rehab? Even when they go, there are no guarentees. I try to remain hopeful and never give up however at the same time I don't enable her. Addiction is a winding road and long road...I wish there was a detour... I hope your daughter will choose to go.
post replypost new topic