post replypost new topic
Addiction???

Posted: February 8, 2021, 9:02 PM
Hey. I’ve been using pot nearly daily for 3 months. I started using when life got a little too stressful. I opened up to my therapist that when I’m stressed I reach for food, alcohol, cigarettes and now pot. Except I never used alcohol daily. This is different. I really like the high and although I’m confused as to whether it’s an addiction or not I’m not sure I want to quit or need to quit. My therapist was concerned and praised me for telling her. She already seems to think I’m addicted as she said I should consider a 12 step program?! Is there a difference between a problem and an addiction?!

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

Posted: February 9, 2021, 1:57 AM
Hello
I think if you can control it and function well it shouldn't be called addiction. I think everyone needs a break from time to time. But then everyday use is definitely addiction. I used to be very much in trouble with pot, a love/hate relationship I couldn't control it and I wasn't even enjoying it. The thing is if you are in stressful time smoking weed is pretty much like drinking you are carefree and happy as long as you have sth to smoke but as soon as the effect disappear the anxiety and depression will come back stronger than before. I hope they don't. Im still on recovery path I tried to curb my cravings and strengthen my willpower, so that even if I have it I don't do it.

Posted: February 11, 2021, 6:30 PM
There certainly is a difference between "problem" use (abuse) and addiction. Unfortunately you what know it until it's too late. Problem users will generally quit when the motivation to do so has reached the limit. Addicts can't. I would suggest trying to minimize your usage. It's like people who are prescribed psych meds. They serve a purpose. Some take more than prescribed to get high, that's abuse. Some over indulge to the point of self-harm and catastrophic circumstances and then can't stop, that's the addict. If weed is your psych med (and it was mine) use just enough.

Be Well,
Larry

--------------------
All gods send their drunks to AA

My story.. https://www.addictionrecoveryguide.o...ST&f=16&t=63644
post replypost new topic