post replypost new topic
Can Using Pot Keep U Off Heroin And Methadone?

Posted: February 17, 2017, 8:01 PM
Can Marijuana help get a person off Heroin and methadone?

This post has been edited by Mandm on February 17, 2017, 8:03 PM

Posted: February 18, 2017, 11:55 AM
For me personally I have gotten off of heroin and methadone while smoking pot. I am on day 88 free of methadone and I didn't suffer withdrawals. I smoked marijuana during my detox from heroin to methadone then to nothing. I tapered over two years from 30 ml. and had a smooth transition to nothing. I hope this helps you. I still smoke today. I have zero cravings. It has worked for me :)

Posted: February 19, 2017, 2:36 PM
Hi Overfifty, I think what you've manage to do is brilliant!! Maybe that's the answer to getting away from the hard stuff...who knows eh? What a great job getting yourself this far! Well done! Stay with it! Do you feel good? What you've accomplished is inspirational for people looking for a way out! Stay strong and thank you for the info. Mary💛
Overfifty

Posted: February 19, 2017, 8:41 PM
Hi Mandm, thank you for the kind words. Yes I feel good. No depression or paws from being off of methadone. My transition was effortless. I just feel normal :)

Posted: February 20, 2017, 12:43 AM
Hi Overfifty, Your welcome! You deserve a medal if you ask me. How long were you on the Heroin and then the methadone before you came up with the idea of how you would do this? This to me is amazing! I'm the mother of a Heroin, crack/cocaine addict. I have the utmost respect for you and how you have managed to get yourself off dope. Something so many try to do but can't. You've done great!! Don't ever go back!! What is Paws? Mary 💛

This post has been edited by Mandm on February 20, 2017, 12:44 AM

Posted: February 20, 2017, 12:02 PM
Thank you Mandm. My journey has been long. I used heroin for over ten years. I got on at a methadone clinic and didn't use heroin while on methadone. Things were going great until one day they told us the clinic is closing with no where to go. So I went back on heroin until I could get back on methadone. Methadone saved my life from heroin. Stayed on methadone no cravings for heroin. My doctor retired I got notice again my methadone would be cut off. I just got tired of being scared of being sick. That's what kept me using. Anyways I was addicted to methadone now not heroin. I tapered very slowly and smoked. I also had meds nausea and clonadine prescribed that helped. I didn't suffer depression or paws ( post accuse withdrawl symptoms) which I have in past attempts to quit my methadone. I won't go back to using heroin or methadone today. I have broken the chains that held me captive for so long.

Posted: February 20, 2017, 12:30 PM
Hi Overfifty, Thank you for the info on this. I'm really happy for you that you got off the hard stuff. I'm sure your life must be a lot better now that you are free and able to dance to your own tune. Good for you! You beat the odds!! Be happy and stay strong! ((Hugs)) Mary. 💛

This post has been edited by Mandm on February 20, 2017, 8:09 PM

Posted: February 22, 2017, 5:26 PM
i am smoker too but very irregular one, didnt smoke for years then I picked up again few months ago and I do believe it helps me stay away fro s*** like heroin. It calms me down for sure and sometimes when i get itch to go out and use i smoke joint and thought to use goes away...

Posted: February 22, 2017, 10:34 PM
Thanks! Here's hoping it works for my daughter. Mary💛

This post has been edited by Mandm on March 1, 2017, 10:45 PM

Posted: March 16, 2017, 10:57 PM
Just trading one addiction for another....a drug is a drug is a drug
Overfifty

Posted: March 17, 2017, 11:21 AM
It helps me stay away from heroin. It helped me not suffer methadone withdrawals. It helps my pain. It's not for everyone but this gals life has been improved because of it. Happy st Patrick's day.

Posted: March 24, 2017, 3:10 PM
Some addicts and recovering addicts believe that switching from one drug to another proves that they’re not "addicted" at all and can modify their actions whenever they choose. Addicts may also substitute one drug for another in order to stave off the effects of intentional or unintentional drug withdrawal. While addicts may believe that drug substitution frees them from the burdens of addiction, this substitution does nothing to alter the underlying thoughts and behaviors that lead to and support addiction. It also does nothing to alter the urge to alter the brain’s basic functional chemistry. For these reasons, when an addict switches drugs, he or she merely transfers these underlying problems to a superficially "different" or "new" situation that’s actually business as usual. In fact, since this new situation creates an additional layer of denial or deluded thinking, it can actually be worse than business as usual and ultimately make it more difficult for the addict to truly start the path to recovery. Just quit all addictive substances

Posted: March 27, 2017, 6:44 PM
Cannabis has been shown to be effective in mitigating the effects of opiate withdrawal. But I hasten to add a couple of points:

1. While the percentage of people who become addicted to marijuana is much lower than all other drugs, that doesn't mean it's zero. Some people will become dependent on or addicted to weed, and they will just be transferring their addiction. Granted, you're not going to OD on weed, and you can actually get out and do something while under the influence. But drug dependence is usually a symptom of deeper issues that will be addressed, one way or the other.

2. If you're anything like the people in several cases with which I'm familiar, the cannabis helps tremendously with withdrawal. But withdrawal doesn't last forever. Do what my friends and family have done: Use it, then lose it.

Alcohol is the real gateway drug. If you kick opiates, avoid alcohol at all costs.

--------------------
Tom
The Woodlands, TX, USA

Posted: April 12, 2017, 5:22 AM
Marijuana won't be a permanent solution. you better find another rehab center. but until then it will help you off Heroin.

Posted: July 29, 2017, 12:56 PM
Weed is a permanent solution you just have to understand it
Overfifty

Posted: September 3, 2017, 11:25 AM
I have used weed to get me off methadone and I have 285 days today. BUT I was a daily smoker for years and smoked it for pain. Today I am quitting weed so it's day one. It helps then for me it quit working. I also have developed breathing problems and a rattle cough from extensive use. This in itself is a reason to quit but it didn't for me. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I don't know if I could of stopped methadone without it. But I know I can live my life without weed:).....................

Posted: January 17, 2018, 4:58 PM
I realize this is a stale post, but I have to respond to one comment, specifically, “A drug is a drug is a drug.”

No, it’s not. Over 60,000 people died last year from opiate abuse. Zero people - ZERO - died from cannabis abuse.

I’m not saying weed is OK. But it’s not heroin, either.

--------------------
Tom
The Woodlands, TX, USA

Posted: January 20, 2018, 8:00 AM
Very interesting topic.

Guest, you are over simplifying this.

I agree all drugs are drugs - i also count alchohol in this to the extent that i regard a corkscrew as drug paraphernalia and anyone who has an insensitive attitude to people who do other drugs whilst in denial about thier own alchohol dependance are hypocrites of the highest order.

However, i have to say that having fought a 10 year long battle with my son over his weed addiction, i would gladly trade everything i have for him to still be on weed and not Heroin.

Now the constructive bit.

Its early days but my son has ADD and so will always benefit from medication. We have been trying for years to get him on a dedicated medication for this but he has avoided it and chosen 'self medication' instead. We are still trying though and now he is home living with us again we have new doctors appointments lined up.

He used to chain smoke hand made ciggaretes (roll ups as they are known here). Its a cheap and nasty way to use tobbaco.

For now he has stopped smoking hand rolled unfiltered tobacco and has a vape pen. He also uses a legal calming additive that is probably nothing more than a placebo but he is convinced it makes him feel calm.

(In other words in his mind he is smoking drugs and so doesnt have that 'something missing' feeling).

He is of course on a heroin substitute (buprenorphine) but it is my (very) early opinion that whilst the substitute keeps him WELL, the vape pen keeps him OCCUPIED (this will make sense to other parents of ADD off spring and smokers trying to give up ciggarette smoking!).

So far calm and relaxed. Not productive, not a fully functioning adult but not trying to get out the door to use heroin either.

No, his addiction issues are not magically cured but get this; this is the longest he has ever been off heroin in 6 months (9 days) and the first time in 12 years he has not been breathing in unfiltered tobbaco.

As i said, its very early days and i am NOT saying this is the magic answer but its yielded the best results so far and crucially its probably also working because it is something he has chosen and not something he is being forced to do. This is the best week my family has had since the devastating day we found out about our sons heroin addiction.

The plan is to use the time to introduce more proffesional help especially with the ADD.

Anyone who has a family member addicted to heroin will know how precious those calm, argument free days are and we have just had 9 in a row...no asking for money either.

So, yes, maybe weed or similar can help and i do realise its only part of the story but if it keeps him off heroin then its surely got to be worth trying?

This post has been edited by Jet0912 on January 20, 2018, 10:58 AM

Posted: February 11, 2018, 5:49 PM
No. Just keeps him calmer until he next uses. Problem still there.
post replypost new topic