post replypost new topic
Advice On Taper Off Method
GeoffD

Posted: June 3, 2019, 1:14 AM
I'm going to spare you all a sob story and make this short and sweet. I was addicted for two years...got sober... now addicted for the last year again. I don't want it anymore! The small amount of control I allow it to have over me, is something I'm extremely ashamed of.

My work ethic has never been matched at any employer I've ever had. I finally found an employer who rewards performance and I've quickly made an impressive impression on my bosses and I can tell they're looking at me for a lead role with the business. Long story short is I dont want this hold that the drug has on me any longer. My family as well as myself deserve me to be sober. However, cold turkey is not an option I'm willing to consider due to the intense withdrawl symptoms will render me useless at my job for at least a couple weeks.

Does anyone here have any advice as far as a timeline recommendation, on how long I should taper off my usage until my final day using? I know it doesn't make alot of sense to most of you and you feel as though I'll probably just fail. Maybe so...maybe you're right? If I'm unsuccessful and it carries on too long, then worst case scenario is that I would have dropped my usage amount down and it will be a little easier to quit cold turkey then.

I really appreciate the time you took reading this. Any advice is welcomed even if its something I don't want to hear. I just hope someone might have some advice to give my stupid plan a chance. Good luck to your battle as well.

Posted: June 5, 2019, 10:48 PM
keep reading posts and write down list of helpful information, then put it together for your own taper plan. as you go along, adjust the plan as needed.

Read on the other boards. extensive information about taper in Methadone and Suboxone boards.

from what I have read, you may need to get creative with dosing and decreasing. as you stated, don't give up. keep tapering. It will be slow.

add good things into your routine as you are eliminating the unwanted things, you may find you have too much time on your hands. keep positive and try new hobbies, read a book, do puzzles .. a new sport, exercise, make amends, things you haven't had time for... to pass the time and give you a routine. you don't have to stick to a new thing forever, your interests will change as you become healthier. brush up on reading about the business you are in. As you learn more, it might be interesting enough keep you motivated.

Don't expect every thing to be great too soon. Aim for a year of sobriety, there will be ups and downs. it is all temporary, whatever you are going thru will pass and the 'topic of the day' will change as needed.

Be well! You are doing the right thing for the right reasons. Sober is harder in some ways, but better in most ways for the quality of life

read about your doc - you may find helpful information that gives insight into what that drug does to your body and what you can expect from withdrawal symptoms.

Disclaimer - if anything I suggest is incorrect or does not work for you, ignore what I say. do what works for you.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on June 6, 2019, 6:40 PM

Posted: June 6, 2019, 6:41 PM
You will be amazed at what your brain can do when is is not undermined by addiction.

Smartrecovery.org. They have online meetings and some in some communities. I hear smart recovery is geared to reward system, motivation.

Ps. My battle is my son’s addiction.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on June 6, 2019, 6:43 PM

Posted: December 4, 2019, 8:22 AM
Which drug are you trying to get off of?
Ghostly images

Posted: December 7, 2019, 10:12 AM
From my personal experience the taper off method leads straight to a binge. With this drug you are either all in or all out.
post replypost new topic