post replypost new topic
Meth...can One Stop Use On Their Own?

Posted: August 2, 2016, 1:09 PM
My son lives several hundred miles away and the last 2 times we talked on the phone he was high on meth and was paranoid about lots of things.

I only recently reconnected by phone and he swears that he has stopped using meth and alcohol (he professed to being an alcoholic) on his own without rehab.

Should I believe him?

Posted: August 2, 2016, 1:31 PM
I'm an alcoholic.

I know many who got and stayed sober without rehab.

I know NO ALCOHOLIC of my type to do it without regular meetings.

It's not a cure - it's a daily reprieve.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: August 3, 2016, 10:42 AM
My first instinct is NO. Why is he paranoid? How will it affect you if you knew for sure? Would it change anything?

--------------------

JEN

I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power,love and a sound mind.

Posted: August 4, 2016, 2:56 AM
Hey rich, yeah it is possible...I definitely think someone that hasn't been using for a long time would be on the possible side. The thing with meth though, I think more then any drug are the lies. I guess I'm saying, yeah it could be the truth but a bigger chance of not. I've watched meth addicts deny they use to other meth addicts...they've gotten that insecure with their addiction they can't even admit to people who do the same thing! I don't mean for this to sound contradictory in any way...either is possible

Posted: January 23, 2017, 12:40 PM
As a meth addict for going on 5 years, I can definitely say that yes. Someone can stop using on their own.

Stopping forever? No. From the first time i hit that pipe I've tried to quit numerous times. And
I was successful every time... For a few months. Recovery is not something you can do on your own. And I'm only just beginning to realize this. I leave for rehab in three days. I havent used since December 28th. Some people I know have been saying "Why do you need rehab? You haven't used in almost a month?" Well, because, this is the cycle I go through every time. Except this time, I'm opening myself up to every option I never surrendered to before. I KNOW I cant do this on my own. Which is why I'm seeking help.

Your son can't quit on his own. But you can't force him to get help. An addict will not seek help until they are fully ready to change their life.

Do not let that discourage you. Talk to him. Show no judgement. When (if) he admits to using, do not get angry. Anger is not what he needs. He needs love, compassion, and understanding.
on my own

Posted: February 19, 2017, 8:28 PM
I would like to ask the guy who just posted that he was able to quit on his own for months at a time .... can you give me advice as to a good schedule for the days on how to stop on my own successfully? Is there vitamins, excercise, etc that could make the withdrawal easier. I am a depressed person initially prior to begin the use of meth. Any advice for me to go by would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: February 20, 2017, 9:58 PM
Regading "QUITTING ON YOUR OWN". My personal experience quitting alcohol, cocaine, and meth, (OPIATES ARE A SEPARATE STORY) . AT SOME POINT IN MY ADDICTION.. WHEN I BECAME SO FED UP, ASHAMED, HOPELESS, nothing else I thought could be done to remedy the situation. It "FELT" as if it LIFTED from me by God. Without real effort, just endless pain, the craving dissolved. I consider myself to be very very very fortunate to have been given mercy by the LORD..
peace
Tracy Anderson
post replypost new topic