Mental Shift Keeps Cravings At Bay
Posted: April 25, 2017, 7:22 PM

hi all.

Im a recovering addict. Was a mess for more than 15yrs. I used so many different drugs, from weed, lsd, ex, my moms pain meds and even our airfreshner, if it gave me a trip. Then, i starded dating CRYSTAL. It felt awesome at first, but losing sleep, not eating and still having to perform at a physically active work, was quite hard, if you still wanted to keep up appearences.

Right through the month, i borrowed money from work. I'd stop by the dealer, get me a gram of meth and go home. Have half my supper and use the excuse that i will take the rest to work with me. Then i'd start smoking. All through the night. Then go to work the next morning, still hyped up on meth.

Then, one day i had an accident at work. During their investigation, i managed to make them believe that it was machine error. I got paid out a rediculous amount of money. No one at home knew, not even my church going, no sex till i marry, girlfriend.

All the while, my temper got worse and their small posessions got less as i budgeted in such a way that they still think i'm working and dont have money, when in fact i had enough, but the more, the merrier.

I started staying away from home too often and eventually the fights with my guardians started.

One day, i went to my dealer, bought 8grams of meth and sat right there in his room and smoked. By 5:30 am the next morning, it was finished. I took another 4grams, got on my bike and left. The route home,had one wide bend in the road. I never made it around the bend. I went straight over the curb, and into a wall. It was the wall of our local state hospital.

I got up and gathered myself. As i looked at the condition the bike was in, i realise that i could be badly injured. I examined myself and found only a bruised knee and a tear in my hoody.

It was then when i decided to get help. Rehab and then a 3 month programme with group therapy. And a whole lot of trust building with the family.

A few years later, i still got cravings every now and then, but it went away. Then it got worse.
I remembered a rule in therapy that we were never to have euphoric recall. But i wanted to test a theory. That one can get high only in your head. I just reminiced on a time i was high on meth and concentrated hard. Eventually, in my mind, i was high. It worked.

So i started thinking that ADDICTION IS MEARELY A STATE OF MIND. Its all in your head. Im a married man now. I have an awesome wife. both of us dont drink or do drugs and she knows of my addiction and is very supportive. She also knows my theory and knows when im busy ''getting high''.

Mentally, i can call it up anytime and let it pass as soon as it happens.

Ive had numerous arguements with doctors and fellow addicts alike, who say that its impossible to do it. My theory is hogwash. Im bluffing myself, but after 6yrs of not using, i can say that ive been ''high'' at leats 4 times a week. Ive passed every drug test and have a clean bill of health.

So, ''IS ADDICTION JUST A STATE OF MIND''?
Can a dedicated mental shift, really be all an addict needs to recover from his/her addiction? Yes, with physical ramifications the first while,but ive proven it.
Posted: April 26, 2017, 7:29 AM

I think that it's great that this works for you but what about the addict that can't stop once they start? Not everyone can do what you're doing. What about the addict that sees your post and goes out to use "one more time" and overdoses? Are you willing to take the blame for their death? Please be careful what you post. What's good for one is not necessarily good for another.

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Posted: April 26, 2017, 9:28 AM

I can say. I used 17 to 20 pills a day ,now only has prescribed 6 a day of 7.325 and never took more, well maybe few times. But never went back to 17 or 20..just saying.

This post has been edited by lillian4848 on April 26, 2017, 9:29 AM
Posted: April 26, 2017, 9:54 AM

Hi 12 stepper

If your read again, the ''mental shift'', is me NOT using anything anymore. I got my mindset to a point where i am ''f...ed in my mind'' , for lack of a better term. If someone reads my post and goes OD, then im sorry to hear. But im sure no one, regardless how addicted they are, will read things that aren't there.

Im also not saying that every addict in recovery HAS to try it. Its a theory i had, i tested it and it worked and still works for me.

I can get high while sitting in the bath, without using anything.
With enough practice and strong mind, im sure majority of addicts can do it.

Its like getting flashbacks from a LSD trip you had a few days ago, because you were remembering what a good time you had. Its a memory trigger.

Posted: April 26, 2017, 10:30 AM

I guess I read it wrong. Sorry

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Posted: April 26, 2017, 7:43 PM

Crystal - i read that you have been clean for a few years, then having more cravings, tried to address those cravings.... it think that is wonderful.... life changes from season to season, one does have to try different things, tweak the process. something works for a while, then it doesnt, then one re-adjusts.
to answer your question with my opinion:

Q: So, ''IS ADDICTION JUST A STATE OF MIND''?
Can a dedicated mental shift, really be all an addict needs to recover from his/her addiction? Yes, with physical ramifications the first while,but ive proven it.

A: Is meditation a state of mind?

I would not say that addiction is only a state of mind (physical plays a big part)
I would agree with you that ending addiction is a state of mind. It takes something mental to make recovery click, to make that shift. And, that shift is different for everyone. we can not predict it.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on April 26, 2017, 7:47 PM
Posted: April 28, 2017, 1:18 AM

Give me step by step instructions...Idk..call me a skeptic..but?? 😏
Posted: April 30, 2017, 10:43 AM

if that were the case. We all would do that..it works for you awesome...but not for all.
  top of page  Top