next >  post replypost new topic
Counting The Hours

Posted: March 14, 2017, 8:15 PM
I am new to this board. I have a legitimate RX that I get every month for Chronic Pain. I worked in EMS for over 20 years and it has taken a toll on my body. I have been on these pills for at least 12 years. Its hard for me to believe. my tolerance has grown to 8-9 a day. I see a pain management Dr. but it has become a chore. I ran out early this month not even realizing I was going to. So I decided to take this opportunity to quit. I hate being dependent on them. I hate planning my work trips around refills. my last pill was a 9:00 am on Thursday morning I think I'm up to 120 hours. Any suggestions on what to expect. My husband is wonderful, very supportive. I just don't want to be chained to this any longer... but then I have to figue out what to do with the pain.

Thanks for listening.

Posted: March 15, 2017, 1:46 PM
dig thru the posts and make a list of supplements that people have used while in withdrawal.
You could go to a naturopath to advice you with supplements. and for long term pain management.

for long term pain management you will need to start a new regimen to replace the old. try an assortment of hot pack every day on painful areas, hot tub if you have access to one, light exercise, walking, yoga, meditation, massage, and so on. keep trying the alternatives. some work for a while and then dont, mix and match, etc....

mentally you will feel better too. when you are doing things for your self and well being.

use the search at bottom of pages to search for topic

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on March 15, 2017, 3:04 PM

Posted: March 16, 2017, 12:56 PM
It's been 7 days 169 hours since I took my last pill. I keep waiting to feel better. I don't know that I can handle the pain. I'm sitting in the hot tub, stretching, taking ibuprofen, drinking so much water I'm going to float away. But its all i can think about. I keep thinking what difference does it make if I go take some pills I took them for 12 years. I just want to feel better. I have 7 days...

How much longer.....k

Posted: March 16, 2017, 7:48 PM
a week longer?. but if you take some pills you reset the clock. 7 days is a good amount of time... you will feel better slowly. dont give up, each week will be better. some weeks might feel like a set back, but then, something gets better. keep looking for alternatives and keep trying new stuff.
When you look back after weeks, you will see the improvements. sometimes you cant see it from day to day. make a list of your symptoms once a week, so you can see the improvements.
make a list of new things you are doing, and old things you are not doing. decide on some financial goals - new $$ not spent on pills.

or - you can get more pills and do a longer taper

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on March 16, 2017, 7:55 PM

Posted: March 16, 2017, 10:13 PM
Thank you for responding, I've tried to taper and that just is total mind F... sorry my language. I guess I'm just kind of mad that the dr's kept giving me the pills, anything to keep me at work, we we low staffed...needed to feel a sweet. I teach classes to Dispatchers the signs and symptoms of PTSD...do you know that I bet more than half of them use some sort of vice. Whether is pills/ sleep meds / alocohol.. kick the dog... but now all of a sudden I'm feeling guilty.. I'm 20 years older and have the luxury of working from home. Sitting in an office chair or on an airplane. I can I go back to taking the pills for just the pain ? I don't want the be tied to them and longer.

I want to go back to my old young life, eat right, do exercise.. who am I kidding I was raising 2 kids on a dispatchers salary. It was just easier to take a pill to make it in to work..

178 hours down... thanks for listening πŸ¦‰πŸš’

Posted: March 18, 2017, 12:28 PM
It's always easier to take the pills they become your friend. I've always counted the hours till I pickup my script all the years I've missed being present thinking about pills sickens me. I'm not perfect, I too have a legitimate prescription for pain meds after having Cancer in my bones 10 years ago, the pills helped my pain at the beginning but now the only pain Has become something I take to forget, all the pain of what I went through of losing friends a job myself..so many things taken away from stage 4 cancer being only 35. In the darkness pills make me feel better. That's why we all take them, they make you feel better. I'm trying to kick them too I cannot think of anything else, but I know I don't wanna look back on my life and not remember it because I was taking or thinking of pills! So if you have legitimate pain maybe they can switch you to something much less addictive? Yoga, stretching losing weight all helps. I've had this battle almost 10 years I believe I will have this battle my entire life, always wanting a pill. I'm detoxing right now on about 3 weeks everyday gets better but the craving never goes away....

Posted: March 18, 2017, 2:50 PM
hope you are both feeling better. I think the more you keep at it, the better you can wrap your mind around it. if you slip, get back on track.

my son became addicted bc of being introduced to pills in college, and then bc of a labor type job that often had him working 7 days a week - probably illegal according to labor laws... anyway, he started slowly bc of pain, but increase over a year, 2nd year it was an addiction. and 3rd year - lost everything he owned bc of addiction.
he stated once that without the pills, he could not get out of bed, bc of the pain. the pills gave him energy and motivation - without regard for the condition of his back. Unfortunately, he has spent 2 or more years addicted to pills and 2 years trying to live without them. At this time, he is going back to work, and I hope will be able to give his back injuries alternative medical attention to heal the pain instead of pills.....

Posted: March 19, 2017, 1:03 PM
I think the hardest part..is you want that energy and motivation.but it seems to be lightly there.and when you finally feel better, and life is somewhat going good. You still miss the energy because you seem to never quit get there. Sadly in time. Maybe you will. I will never no I take 4 pills a day and never go over sometimes I do. But not to often...but still ,,you all no what I mean. The thing is can someone tell me if you ever get back to having good energy and motivation?thanks

Posted: March 19, 2017, 8:09 PM
I'm on 10 days, i want to be better by Now, my time is up for being sick. I have no energy and the worst part is I used this bastards for legitimate pain. I can barely sit to get my work done. Hubby and I got into a fight today..that escalated my anxiety and the first thing I wanted to do was swallow a pill. I want to get my work done, so i need to take a pill...please help me .....how do I handle both...10 days. I just want to cry.......

I

Posted: March 21, 2017, 10:51 AM
I relate nanaluvslilly-I think that's your name, I hate we can't see the post when replying. I wanna take a pill ALL the time, when I'm lonely, when I'm upset, when I wanna escape, when I need energy(which after 8 years they don't help Energy anymore) I wanna escape my life everyday. Every addict takes whatever it is to ESCAPE..I do it by taking that pill...it helps for a few minutes, but it never solves it.
I would definitely tell you to get on some anxiety meds like Diazepam. NOT Xanax. I was given Xanax when I was diagnosed with Cancer for my extreme anxiety but when I went off of it a year ago it was THE worst withdrawal I've ever had... But I have to take a low dose Diazepam once in now..a while ago I use to everyday, but now maybe 1x week for sleep.I am slowly working off that too. BUT when detoxing from pain meds, your anxiety is through the roof!! So getting some help with that would work. That is if you can get a doctor to prescribe them for you they get pretty freaked out nowadays prescribing anything ending in Pam-EX: Diazepam, Lorazepam...They are considered controlled substances but i found diazepam to be way way less addictive than I did alprazolam (Xanax).
And the question of ever getting your Energy back I'm curious on that too. I'm typing this laying in my bed at 10am,as I have a million things to do and feel like doing nothing. I wonder if it's depression, or maybe ADD? Does anyone have or take meds for ADD, do they help you think more clear? I'm thinking about asking my psychiatrist for medication to help ADD although I really know nothing about the subject I just know I can't prioritize and do things like I use to...
So, Can any long time addicts that of been in recovery for a while answer that?? When might we get our energy back if ever? I started to take them for legitimate pain, then it was for energy and then I needed them to just forget my life. Right now I'm out and taking it day by day, I get a refill next week and my husband is,planning to take them as he's fully aware of my addiction. Honestly if I didn't have kids I'm not sure I would be stopping my pills I just don't want to be a blob of s*** anymore. I want them to remember me as an intelligent mom, that gave them everything they needed intellectually, mentally and physically. My mother and another close family member were pain pill addicts, still are I believe(hiding it) I never understood addiction, or how 1 pill could change someone so much. WOW! I'll never judge again!! Although Their addiction made them steal and lie to get pills or money or anything. I've never once done any of that through my addiction I've been able to get my pills through my doctor because of my diagnosis.
So hopefully somebody that's been on the boards a heck of a lot longer than me can answer do we get our energy back like before pills ever? Also, did snyone feel they needed treatment for ADD after pills cuz the brain cannot prioritize like it use too..Thanks! Happy Spring!!

This post has been edited by MimiJensen on March 21, 2017, 11:11 AM

Posted: March 21, 2017, 5:35 PM
All benzos are extremely addictive, diazepam, lorazepam, etc. Some stay in your system longer than others but withdrawal from any of them can cause seizures and death. As far as energy goes, yes it comes back. Eat well, take vitamins and get up and get busy. The longer we lay around waiting for energy the longer it takes to return. Go for a walk or bike ride. Join a gym. Just get started doing something. Attitude has so much to do with recovery. If you think you're going to feel bad you're going to feel bad. Work on that positive attitude you had before the pills took over. It can make all the difference in the world.

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Posted: March 29, 2017, 12:29 PM
I'm on day 20.. I keep waiting for a light to come on. My brain does not seem to be functioning, I can't sleep and having severe anxiety. I'm terrified to drive the car and I had a panic attak the other day that I thought I was having a HA.. but I haven't taken a pill. I have an entire RX but have not desire to take them. I just want to know when I will feel better?

It seems like I have gone backwards.. some of the symptoms that I experienced at the beginning are showing up again. I asked my Dr to refill a Rx of xanax I had .25 mg and I have always taken a sleeping pill to sleep, but that's not working.. any encouragement please...

Posted: March 29, 2017, 12:31 PM
And just FYI... I have been on these pills for over 12 years.. and at most recent was taking 8 a day... is it because i was on them so long

Posted: March 29, 2017, 2:02 PM
Hiya nanluvslilly, I have been same with sleep problems, 20'odd days off subutex (1.25 year on subbies) after 8 year of prescription opiates(oxynorm,OxyContin,tramadol,codeine) I've been to health shop and bought some Valerian tablets and these seem to be helping. Am definitely sleeping less interrupted since started them, could be coincidental but I'm keeping on with them at least until a steady sleep routine is formed.

Stick at it and well played for 20 days, especially when you have temptation of a rx knocking around. It ain't easy but I'll bet it's worth it. My head is clear when wake up now instead of stoned out and needing pills!

Stay strong.

Paul.

Posted: April 1, 2017, 5:06 PM
I just cant see a RX being in the house when going thru w/d if so man you are one hell of a strong women.amen to you.

Posted: April 2, 2017, 10:03 PM
Day 24, still feel like hell. Still have the RX and haven't touched it. I can't go into the room they're in but I just keep thinking I don't want to go through this again. I just keep thinking that I should be back to somewhat normal. It's a struggle to get any chores done and my stomach is killing me and I can't eat...extremely sensitive and with anxiety. I've started taking some supplements, how much longer?

Posted: April 3, 2017, 4:03 AM
Stick at it Nan. Keep a score of how each of your symptoms are each day and I bet, providing you are 100% honest with your marking, you will be seeing improvement in them. My stomach is off also and I thought it would be right within a week but the opiates have been in control/slowing down insides for way over 8years so body needs to get itself back into a routine. Make sure you are eating enough and hydrating if losing fluids.

I am roughly same time scale as you and know it's the best for us, for first time in years I'm alert through the day but it is knackering I know.

Stay with it, you will be getting better trust me, try and look on the positive sides rather than looking to be 100% everyday, be glad that you was 10% and day after maybe 13%, you can do it, you can control it instead of IT controlling YOU!

Posted: April 3, 2017, 2:45 PM
Pablo... thank you for your post. I needed to hear it. and guess what. I'm feeling better right now. I got up this morning and started doing household chores and even got some of my Consulting work done. I believe a lot of my problems is not eating. I haven't had an appetite so I really haven't eaten in days accept for a little broth.

Again thank you for your kind words. I never imagined that I would be going through this, I've always taken my RX as directed, but the pain management Dr started reducing the amount of pills every month so I thought to myself I just didn't want to be tied to them any longer. I was missing work conference, over thinking vacations etc.. because I didn't want it to interfere with the RX. Not that it matters but what would you consider the difference between addiction and dependence.

Have a great day.
Teri

Posted: April 3, 2017, 2:45 PM
Ps.... Great Job and keep up the good work..

Posted: April 3, 2017, 4:15 PM
Hey Teri, glad you are feeling better today, it is definitely getting a little easier day by day innit? And I'm really happy that you say I might have helped in a little way, as I say we are both same days wise off pain killers so good to know others progressing similar and know we're not only ones!😁

Addiction for me was when I knew I was dependant. I was addicted as soon as I carried on taking more than the pain warranted but because I was still in pain (and I'd gotten so use to pain and opiates over 5 month) and trying to come to terms with life changing hospitalisation I used them as a sort of helper with everyday s*** I think then after a short while they were normal just to function.

You're lucky your docs have been proactive in reducing your script I'd say, I had to go to mine and say I want to change "down" from oxynorm/OxyContin to tramadol, then after couple of years again say I wanted to "downsize" to codeine.

If I hadn't have made the decision to get off them, my docs would still be prescribing me shed loads of opiates, I honestly class docs in U.K. not far up from street dealers, in fact at least street dealer doesn't have historical evidence to check up on to see if they are "overselling" to their punters!!!

However, I took them and misused and I accept that but shouldn't be so easy to get seriously strong meds that can really mess folks up.

Am glad I am off now as can see myself clearer again, regaining emotions which opiates have robbed me of for long time and I wasn't even aware and slowly understanding that I can be "normal" like rest of population.

Hope tomorrow gives you a bit of sunshine and hope for yourself and definitely getting back into work and home routine will help I reckon. I am consulting at clients and know it helps having mind occupied with work problems rather than analysing own issues, use it as a break from my troubles almostπŸ˜‚

Take care and stay strong, you're in control and the fact you've chosen to go through this proves it!

Paul.

post replypost new topic