post replypost new topic
Benefits Of Quitting....

Posted: October 13, 2016, 3:51 PM
Just wondering what benefits people have noticed after they quit using opiates/pills. My dosage is fairly low compared to most people but I still feel like I'm addicted, I'm fairly certain I'm going to have to go off pain meds in the next 30 days. I have a full script so I can taper, is it possible to taper without having serious withdrawal symptoms? Again, I'm trying to give myself something to look forward to instead of having to be severely depressed about having to give them up. Look up benefits of quitting opiates and you don't get much on Google, only thing I can remember from past attempts is depression. I don't believe Sub is an option for me, it's just too damn expensive.

Posted: October 13, 2016, 6:40 PM

Try tapering off ... if you can - GREAT !!

If you can't then you are likely one of us addict/alcoholics
in which case you got a problem ....

The lasting solution I've found for my addiction is commitment to AA/NA
and it works as advertized.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10..._howitworks.pdf
https://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

The truth will become self-evident shortly.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: October 13, 2016, 7:14 PM
Parents stuck me in treatment for smoking pot when I was 17, that was 1988. Been years but I've had some experience with AA/NA, albeit not positive ones. That said I'd be willing to give it another shot if need be, would AA be ok for a pill addiction or would you recommend NA? Reason I ask is I went to some NA meetings years ago and did not feel comfortable, really out of place. Maybe I was too clean-cut in those days lol Thanks for the response, after a few hours of soul searching, probably not something I can do without support.

Posted: October 14, 2016, 6:57 PM
I am a parent. my son is addicted to pain pills, oxy, xanax. went to rehab 10 months ago. has been on his own, working, but still half in, half out. I understand the addiction part when I try to quit smoking. I know the pain meds are much stronger and harder and cause withdrawl sx.
The point of meetings is to keep your motivation going so you dont think... I can handle this... etc. Once you think its OK, you may be closer to relapse. Think of it as a life change. either you are in or out. AA or NA - whatever one you feel comfortable with is fine. Keep looking up motivational information on line, on youtube.
Look up withdrawl sx on line. prepare yourself for them. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Look up more posts here, from those who have quit. knowing how crapy, yet temporary the sx are, will help. from what I read depression and anxiety can last a few weeks or months. my take on long term benefits is that in 6 months to a year you will be able to look back and see the comparison of before and after. it seems that life feels more happy, less miserable, less flat. not easier, but less complicated. hope this helps, let us know how you do. See the Recovery Diaries and Success Stories on the postings here.

Posted: October 27, 2017, 6:25 PM
My story:
I hope I can offer some good advice. I am a single mum, with no family or support system. Through the years I have successfully given up a bunch of different drugs/ bad habits. Currently, I am tapering off codien tablets. I have a bad back which I have tried to get help for, but doctors have failed me so far. I have told them I don't want drugs for it, I just need to be able to function for my highly demanding special needs child. (there is an epidemic atm where allot of doctors are under diagnosing all ages of females atm. So I have used codine tablets for my back pain and my extremely painful periods. I have kept a close eye on my liver and only ever took 2 4x a day max. Other than weight gain from giving up smoking and disk damage in my back and a bent spine, I am healthy. I thought that this was not a problem as I never felt high or drugged. I am tapering off due to our government stop selling them next year. Honestly somewhere inside of me is a voice screaming how unfair this is and is so scared of how I am going to deal with the pain now.

On tapering off, I started nearly 4 weeks ago. It was school holidays so I decided to try 1 day no tablets because I really didn't think I had a problem.
That day I spent chilling with my child watching movies on her double bed and playing Minecraft. I found my tinnitus flared up badly and my ears became extremely noise sensitive. Even picking up a plastic bag, the noise of it killed my ears. This was really distressing. I went on sites for codine withdrawal and none of them mentioned yr ears hurting ect. So I thought maybe I had a ear infection. After that first day I limitted myself to 1 or 2 tablets a day with codine in them. I would try to take 1 codine tablet (codine with panadol) with a panadole osteo or a ibiprofen tablet Over 3 weeks I went to 2 different doctors and took antibiotics, ear drops to help with pain and ear drops to help with ear infections.
I went onto this site last night looking for answers and found a page (lol logging in took me out of it, it really helped me. I seriously need to find that page again) The forum page was about people tapering off codine tablets. A person mentioned her ears reallt hurting. Finally reading someone else was having this not so common problem made me feel so much better. I am not getting most of the usual withdrawals. At first yes I was feeling naucious and headaches ect. But no aching legs or sped up heart beat.
I know with tinitus, stress makes it worse but what I have been going though is insane. Also some depression, because it reminds me I really dont have anyone to ask for help. Everytime I look for a new friend with a kid for frienship and maybe the occasional day or night off. I become the babysitter because the adults end up having addiction or anger problems. Its the area I live in lol not me having bad taste in people. Not that I mind I love kids. but not feeling well. I miss mum and dad.

Helpful advice:
When giving up anything we need to learn our feeling relating to what it is we are giving up. This helps you understand yr addiction. For me (on a good day) I try to have 1 codine tablet around lunchtime. I remember one day before taking it, asking myself "what is it I want our of this tablet?" My first mental answer was pain relief. I dug into my emotions and found the answer "comfort". This really suprised me.
All addictions have a physical and emotional reason why you take it. Knowing this gives you power. Ask yrself what else comforts me?
Remember you are allowed to have mental health days. (mental health days are days where you only do what is really important, and you can delay some things and have a morning in bed. Or a day where you have a long shower, a bath, some self love. Give yrself permission to feel like poop.
Also after a few weeks you might have a couple of good days and think "yay its finished". Then bad days follow. Its a process, give it time. Celebrate, give yrself a hug or pressy for committing to yr recovery.
Everyone experiences things differently. And there are some good doctors/ help out there. But I have met too many that I knew more than them or they were judemental and dismissive. Usally our problems fit into different boxes when you pull it apart. Too many phyc/ doctors want to put us into one box.
So you really need to educate yrself. Self phyc yrself. See what works for you and what doesnt. This life is yr journey. And only you can know you best. Doing that is a process to. But so very worth it. We are here to evolve and help and inspire others right?

My lessons this lifetime have been:
learning to survive and fight battles alone.
Sommoning the strength to give up addictions no matter how much it hurts.
Just because I feel I never belong or fit in, that it makes me special.
And this years lesson, just because I have been hurt so many times in my life. I dont need to get revenge when someone hurts me. Because it may feel good at the time, but later I regret it. And who needs all that negitivity. Its hard to understand people who hurt us, But now I try and I dont bite back.

Well I hope this helps.
Today my ears are killing me. I accept it and will try to be kind to myself today.

good luck on yr battles
take one day at a time and if you mess up yr tapering off, just start again tomorrow.

Posted: December 5, 2017, 1:28 PM
I'm currently trying to quit... that's why i'm currently here, of course, and before actually doing that i always thought that i have to write down a list of benefits of quitting so i would know exactly where i'm going. thanks for everything i found here... may i come back with questions if i am going to have some? thanks!
post replypost new topic