post replypost new topic
Diazepam - Home Made Reduction Programme
George

Posted: April 25, 2017, 4:45 AM
I have someone living with me (MB) who has a major diazepam addiction.

On bad days MB can take up to 100mg. On better days he can manage with 20 or 30mg

He gets his supply from the internet so we actually don't know how much he is really taking though he says research and reviews about his favoured supplier indicates that the strength of the tablets he uses (supposedly 10mg) can vary from 8 to 20mg.

After misusing diazepam for several months he has decided for himself he needs to get off them.

GP will only prescribe 5mmg tablets a week's supply at a time but MB can get through those in two or three days.

MB has asked for help from Addaction but they can't help him for another fortnight because that is, (I understand) when the next group introduction is scheduled.

MB is 48 hours into cold turkey now because he used up both his prescription and his illicit supply without planning ahead. He is hoping that his next illicit supply will arrive in the post today but it might not be till tomorrow.

He wants to start weaning himself off diazepam when this next order arrives primarily because he recognises from his research that going cold turkey off diazepam, given the amount and length of time he has been using it, could be fraught with danger, and, since it will be weeks before addaction can begin a professional supervised reduction programme, we are left with devising a home made reduction programme.

MB wants to begin by allowing himself 40mg (4 of these supposed 10mg tablets) per day.

Questions:-

1) Is it safe to begin a reduction programme by halving his usual max daily intake?

2) How long should he stay on that reduced level before cutting it again? MB wants to try for a week because he can't afford to keep buying these drugs.

Posted: June 6, 2017, 11:33 AM
In my opinion -- and this is already an old post, you are cutting him too fast from a very high daily dose. If you have already started doing this, I am wondering how he is doing. Do not up/down the dose -- that will make it harder to taper. Hold the dose until you can get more information on tapering benzos like Valium here: benzobuddies.org
may

Posted: June 23, 2017, 9:34 AM
Hi, I was wondering how your friend is doing?
I have lots of personal experience of coming off of Benzo's and wanted to say that in my personal experience nothing works unless you combine any taper with MEETINGS and lot of support.

Valium has a half life and it is just hard...but! Anyone can do it (get off benzo's) If they have the capacity to be honest.

Sending prayers and light
M
post replypost new topic