post replypost new topic
How Do I Go On Without Xanax
Jessica

Posted: November 7, 2016, 7:30 PM
Can someone please tell me I'm not alone . I feel like xanax is my life partner and I can't live without it . It's not just the withdrawal that terrifies me . It's almost as if xanax is a person I love and I run to when I'm sad or scared and it comforts me . Who or what will I run to if and when I get off xanax ?? I feel like I'll go crazy without it . It's like losing someone you love , you're so used to them that life doesn't make sense without them ? Does anyone out there feel like me ?

Posted: November 7, 2016, 7:47 PM
You're not alone.

I was a Valium user and alcoholic for decades. Been clean/sober since 1989.

You are more of a garden variety addict than you know.
I suggest you attend some NA meetings in your area - see if you can identify.
You will meet rooms full of people just like you.

All the best.
Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: November 8, 2016, 7:14 PM
I know the feeling, and I only smoke cigarettes. you have to go to meetings, get support, keep going, decrease the meds, pull other things into place to take the place of xanax. therapist, etc... there must have been a reason to start xanax... maybe a living situation. start understanding your self and your triggers and what do you need to do to make your life more simple, more manageable, move to that goal.

Posted: December 29, 2016, 11:53 PM
I was on Xanax for 8 years. I had NO idea how my body was so used to it, I never "craved it" I had a cancer diagnosis 8 years ago, and needed something to calm me down so they prescribed me Xanax. I used it for my anxiety but as I went along and I was further into my Cancer remission I used it mostly for sleeping and maybe just a little bit during the day for Anxiety. I would take probably a total of 1-2 mg per day. I had to switch docs at the beginning of the year. My other doc gave me 90/month and never had any issues, I refilled whenever, never monthly as I never went through 90/month..Anyways when I ran out with my new doc and I called her and she treated me like an addict and wouldn't refill it?!?!
Now, Ill admit I was addicted to pain meds, but never thought of Xanax as an addiction. I absolutely knew my body was "use to it" But NEVER thought OMG I want this bad I crave it. I only wanted it when I was having anxiety from my Stage 4 Cancer diagnosis...so I went through the most horrific awful with drawls ever!! I have withdrawn from pain medication many times and this was no comparison to Xanax! I didn't sleep for 10 days straight I felt like my head was zapping literally zapping as if Lightning was striking my head, my heart was pounding out of my chest. It also Felt like I was moving in slow motion. AWFUL!!!!! I finally was so hysterical I got my new doc to prescribe some Diazepam just to calm my anxiety and all those symptoms. It took probably 4-5 months before I felt the Xanax withdrawal was better. After that I would NEVER touch Xanax again!! So, I am just forewarning you when you do decide to get off of it, wean yourself. DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY!!! I've withdrawn from many things and Xanax was by far my worst withdrawl EVER!!!!! But I feel great, I take Diazepam if I can't sleep...may 1-2x month now. But my brain is working much better. I can't believe what that stuff does to you!!! Best of Luck

Posted: December 31, 2016, 9:53 PM
I hate to tell you this but the withdrawal from diazapam is as bad as xanax.

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

MattyBlack

Posted: May 8, 2017, 11:28 AM
Listen, this lady has been through more cancer than you know. You and I, and she knows that Valium is also a Benzo, and yes she will have to go through some pain again at some time. But Xanax is so fast acting that it really is hard to kick mentally and physically. I was a heroin addict for 25 years and the best thing I learned is to sometimes just listen. Xanax really is alot different with all the amnesia, and losing months of your life, I kicked klonopin and it was atrocious but if I got through something and was put on Ativan 4 years later with the stuff I know about these drugs, I guarantee I would not do it the same. And she said, she takes it 1 to twice a month. I know you were just helping with info, but not everyone needs an expert. All our lives our hard enough. Thank you for listening.
post replypost new topic