post replypost new topic
Heroin Epidemic In The Us~~~a Call Of Duty

Posted: March 11, 2016, 12:16 PM
We are in the middle of a heroin epidemic in the United States. New England has been hit especially hard. People have been dying in record numbers. We need money pumped into treatment and we need it now!

I urge each and everyone of you to call ( or email) your local house of reps. and senators and tell them the laws need to change now. We need to stop criminalizing the addict and offer them help instead. After arrest they should be given mandatory inpatient (and out patient) treatment by the courts. Don't wait do it now!

This will not change unless everyone hops on the bandwagon and let your voices be heard!

This is serious enough that the President of the United States mentioned this in his last inaugural speech. He stated he was going to push the senate for more money in 2017. Mr. President people are dying in the streets this cannot wait until 2017. We needed the money yesterday!

Not sure why the World Health Organization hasn't stepped up and announced the epidemic here in the States.

We need better monitoring of our methadone and outpatient clinics.
I have heard way too many stories of failings within the outpatient treatment centers. No shows of doctors, increasing the methadone when patients have asked for them to decrease it. Giving antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs without waiting at least a few months to evaluate the person.

It is also so wrong that you have methadone programs but don't provide detox centers to get them off when they want to. There are only a few places in the US that will detox you off of methodone unless their levels are low. This needs to change!

It is imperative that our loved ones are given an advocate. This way the advocate can oversee their treatment and watch out for the red flags. The appointed advocate can be a parent or other family member. This way therapists, lawyers, treatment centers and the court system has a contact person.

Yes, many people seeking treatment are adults. But they can't do it alone!

Ask your law makers to increase the inpatient time to at least a minimum of three months.

Please call or write now, many lives depend on it.

Posted: March 11, 2016, 2:46 PM
The answer for any true alcoholic/addict can be found in AA/NA.

Rehabs don't cure addiction - the program you follow after rehab treats addiction.

I believe society has lost the focus on what is needed to get clean/sober.

Rehabs charge a great deal of (unnecessary) money and are useless if the departing alcoholic/addict doesn't commit to a (daily) program of recovery.

AA/NA is FREE and it's close to your home .. and it works for millions.
If it doesn't work for you then you haven't hit bottom yet.

We don't need to throw money at this matter.

We need to keep reminding people what the problem is and where the answer lies

I was a hopeless suicidal addict/alcoholic in 1989.
Today I am a recovering (growing) addict/alcoholic who gets a daily reprieve in AA/NA.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: March 12, 2016, 5:06 AM
Papa Bear,

With no disrespect, you are missing the point. Most addicts will start with detox (most addicts need this) then inpatient and or, outpatient treatment.

What you are suggesting is a part of the treatment, and every individual is different and chooses different resources. Treating an addiction is not a cookie cutter mold.

Asking the government to place much needed funds into recovery is not throwing money at the problem. It is called funding a program.A program that works. You are correct, these treatment centers are not cheap. That is why we need more funding! That is why I am asking you to write to your local officials and tell them rehab should be increased to a minimum of 3 months not just the 30 days that they will pay for. I am talking about state insurance here depending on the state you live in. This might also help those with private insurances who will only cover a certain amount of time. Everyone on these boards should seek and push for more funding.

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

This post has been edited by JFToday on March 12, 2016, 5:10 AM

Posted: March 12, 2016, 9:47 AM
No disrespect taken.

I will have to ask you how you know so much about what is required to get clean/sober.
Are you in recovery?

Bob

--------------------
Serenity Prayer

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

AA's HOW IT WORKS:

NA's HOW IT WORKS:

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Dry since 1989

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

Posted: March 15, 2016, 10:42 PM
I am a parent of an addict. I have first hand knowledge from people I know that they probably would not have made it, if it wasn't for the treatment programs they were involved in. The ones that were fortunate enough to seek treatment, they also followed up with other intensive resources once they came out. This is so vital to some people because many don't feel confident enough once they are discharged.

I lost a brother, nephew, and cousin to heroin overdoses. I personally know of others currently in treatment and in recovery. I know of someone in a treatment center now, who just lost 3 past members to heroin overdoses. It is so sad. The number of people dying is gut wrenching.

BTW the senate just pushed a Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act of 2016 to the House of Representatives for a vote. So much needs to change, to better serve the patient and the families.

This post has been edited by JFToday on March 15, 2016, 10:44 PM

Posted: March 16, 2016, 8:22 AM
My recovery began in 1989 in a 90 day in-patient program then straight out to AA/NA.

At that point most members of 12 Step Groups did not attend in-patient programs.
Many had gone to the local detox for a few days then straight into AA/NA.

Most of the folks who wanted recovery back then got it because they did what they were told.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10..._howitworks.pdf

The Salvation Army kept some local "hard cases" until they were ready for AA/NA
(ready to quit arguing & fighting and surrender)

I think AA's HOW IT WORKS describes the recovery process (and chances of it) very accurately.
I was/am one of those with grave emotional and mental problems and AA/NA works wonders.

The last people I would depend on for lifesaving support is the Government (ask the folks in Flint MI)..
The more the Gov. (and "for profit" rehabs) stay out of the recovery process the better.
Again it so well described in The AA Traditions :
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/smf-122_en.pdf

I would bet the recovery rate beginning at our local Salvation Army (for free) is, in the end better than Betty Ford (for a small fortune).
AA/NA is where true recovery will grow if you are a hard core alcoholic/addict.

As HOW IT WORKS describes in the first paragraph NOT EVERYONE MAKES IT

I had a gun to my head in 1989 .. I put the gun down just long enough to go in to see what they had to say. I was quite positive I wouldn't see 1990 (or my kids and grandkids)
I did what they told me to do and here we are in 2016 - if I can do it anyone can.
It's right in HOW IT WORKS .. I just had to work it (and not f***ing fight it).

Good luck.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer

AA's HOW IT WORKS:

NA's HOW IT WORKS:

---Dry since 1989

--Richard Rohr

Posted: April 22, 2016, 1:53 AM
I usually post in the Suboxone board, but being an addict, I get curious and look at other boards. I personally think this whole topic should be moved to the Heroin board, but that's not for me to decide...
My drug of choice was pain pills. I have never tried heroin, but there were many opportunities. I have to admit that I was very curious. Over the last three years, I have lost quite a few "friends" to heroin Overdose. All of these people had little children and families whose lives will never be the same. I currently have a close friend who does it everyday. He has even OD twice before, but was able to be revived and that still has not stopped him! Very sad and very scary. It has definitely become an epidemic in our Country.

This post has been edited by flowergirl on April 22, 2016, 1:59 AM
post replypost new topic