post replypost new topic
Can Two Addicts Make It Through Recovery Together?

Posted: May 1, 2019, 8:26 AM
Hey, my name is Megan. My fiancé’s name is Jim... before we met each other a little over 3 years ago we both already had severe opioid addictions on our own. (Pills) We actually met during a drug deal (of course right? How romantic! Not lol) but we fell head over heels for each other. We now have the most beautiful, most perfect incredible miracle that we call our daughter. Our daughter always has more than what she needs. She never goes without. However, since she was born we have been using heroin all day every day... and not just heroin but a little crank too... now I feel like we might even be addicted to both?! Right now though my main concern is getting away from dope... me and my fiancé are like the same person but in male and female forms. We feed off each other non stop. If one of us says they want to try being good and getting off s*** the other comes up with some reason why now isn’t a good time to stop or whatever and vice versa. We are enabling each other, feeding off each other... but we really do love each other and our baby girl more than anything! And We want to be able to stay together as a family. Is it possible for us to both recover? Together?

This post has been edited by Scared&Hopefull on May 1, 2019, 8:45 AM

Posted: September 19, 2019, 12:24 AM
S&H,

Hoping you are making out alright.

There's a saying that two dead batteries don't start a car. Also as far as I know no rehab will take a couple into treatment together. For good reasons.

However there's couples that do make it in the long haul once they've both done the work seperately to get clean.

Thinking of you and your little family. Know people care.
Samantha

Posted: December 24, 2019, 2:51 PM
Hello my name is Samantha and I'm an addict. My husband named Donnie is also an addict. We have been together 13 years and 11 of it was addiction. We both od'd and my kids fpund us we were both dead. We both immediately went into treatment my sons got taken. It was heartbreaking. My oldest went to live with his bio dad and our son went into foster care. Our sobriety date is may 16th 2018. We have been sober ever since. It was rough and we used to enable each other too but because we love each other we did our sobriety seperate but together(if that makes sense). We got our son back in 9 mths and were living our best life. You guys can get sober but u have to do it for yourselves and ur family can b a huge motivator. Its scary and its hard in the beginning but you and your husband are worth it. I hope this helps you out. Couples can make it in recovery but u both have to want it and if one doesn't want it but the other does than u have to walk away to save ur life for the sake of that beautiful baby girl u have. My husband and i made a pact that if one of us fell the other would continue on the journey for the sake of our son. Love and light to you and your family.

Posted: January 5, 2020, 4:03 PM
Hi,

A simple and straight forward to your heading in my years of experience, with both being an ex addict and helping addicts is: No! 2 addicts trying to stop together always has a push and pull effect.

I'm not saying that you should break up, and I really hope that God can restore your family and give your daughter a beautiful family, with 2 happy and totally drug-free parents, whose drug life is a history.

My strong advice is that you get help, then go back for your partner when you're strong enough. This takes a lot of discipline!

But while you're together or not, I know a place that can help you both get started. They've helped thousands of addicts free of charge (including me 4 years ago) and they have centers all over the world. They also offer free counseling, and I know for a fact that they'll be more than happy to hear from you. I'm happy to send a list of contacts and addresses if you like.

God bless and I know you'll come out of this: Both of you!
post replypost new topic