Groin Abscess
Posted: October 15, 2016, 4:50 PM

Hello, I been on and off heroin for most of my life but last few years mostly clean, saying that last Monday I had relapse and injected myself in groin(which I use to do before) anyway I was scared and panicky so I made out which became abscess. I was so embarrassed to look for medical pain that I waited full 8 days before going to A&E . Had temperature high as 39, every night waking up in pain, completely wet with sweat and my left leg became bigger then right one. I had difficulties walking of course and I had discharge coming out from injection site. Finally on last Tuesday I vent to emergency and doctor done ultrasound he said no blood clot , i was lucky abscess is not on vein but under the skin and gave me Flucloxacillin antibiotics. Now its day 5 I am taking those but my leg is still bigger then the other one, I am still in much pain so I have to take painkillers every 4,5 hours and still got temperature but 37 only and still waking up all wet with sweat every night . I am scared he misdiagnosed my condition? I am afraid of sepsis and DVT of course / you think after taking antibiotics for 5 days I should be better by now? Really scared and so angry on myself, how could I be so stupid ? wow disgusted with myself :(

This post has been edited by Bonnie5 on October 15, 2016, 4:51 PM
Posted: October 15, 2016, 9:58 PM

You might want to go maybe to the ER and get someone to check it if your feeling like it's not getting any better. ...don't wait...better safe than sorry. ..
ludpatti
Posted: October 15, 2016, 11:48 PM

I agree, help u must seek. you can do this! I have faith...go
Posted: October 16, 2016, 12:45 AM

Ps....waste of breath to be angry at yourself...issues surrounding my use never seem to go away. ..whether im clean or not...and shooting again after not doing so for awhile can be all kinds of nervous....get yourself well...stay safe...and hope your getting more clean time...

con
WarriorQueen
Posted: October 16, 2016, 9:06 AM

I agree with Con you should have it looked at again. It maybe its normal maybe it is not . You can't know for sure until you actually go to a dr .
Posted: October 16, 2016, 9:45 AM

Thanks guys I must admit this morning I feel so much better, no pain whatsoever and now its lunch time still without taking painkillers and feeling fine. I am to go tomorrow to see nurse just to check if is healing nicely then i can ask her what she thinks why my left leg is is bigger then right one (after walking) i am just praying its not blood clot in left calf saying this when i was at E&R doing ultrasound he was looking only groin area and little bit down the inside of leg and not calf and he was adamant its not blood clot .I was happy with that news of course and didn't ask any questions just wanted to go as soon as possibile. Another thing he did say he is not judging me but I could see his behavior changing after finding out what is wrong with me from behavior how he was at first when he met me . I do understand probably they think she done it to herself and now we have problem to deal with and whatever they say still is stigma around drugs related illnesses
Posted: October 16, 2016, 11:15 AM

Good news ! Glad to hear it...but...like u said...get the leg checked anyways...ya...stigma...went in for a blood test a month or so ago... .and had tracked up my arms...nurse took a look...didn't say much when I asked she use the right arm ..since my left was pretty sore...felt uncomfortable ...I got the "look"...and the disapproving stare...not as bad sometimes though when I was on methadone. ..so..ya...get double checked...they see junkie...and sometimes don't do as much or even as good a job ...sorry you had to deal with it...

This post has been edited by constantine on October 16, 2016, 11:18 AM
Posted: October 17, 2016, 1:05 PM

Hi stop beating yourself up.

I worked in the health service and always said to the staff to leave their preconceived ideas and labels at home. Any patient is an individual and some ones son, daughter, mother, father brother or sister and should be treated with respect.
Health service workers should always remember it could be them or one of their relatives one day and think how they would like to be treated.

It's sad when an individual in need of a service does not access it due to prejudice. Shame on those who do.
Posted: October 17, 2016, 2:58 PM

Usually medical help in London is great , no much discrimination here but I was in countryside in small town hospital week ago looking for help so probably they dont have much contact with drug users and their problems. I was way to much embarrassed to do to my doctor for help, after been clean for 2 years I just couldn't look him in eye and say I injected myself in groin and made abscess... i was rather to ddo anything else then that . We have good relationship going for last 7, 8 years and I know how proud he was of me getting out of drugs... so you see i vent to another county hour away from London to seek help just to avoid question why?
WarriorQueen
Posted: October 17, 2016, 9:14 PM

I went in for bloodwork to see how high my HCG levels are , if I'm anemic , if I had hep c or hep b or HIV etc... I told the nurse from the gate "I've been clean for 3months+ but both my arms are really scarred up cause i only used my arms... so have fun trying to get blood". The nurse shrugged it off as no big deal cause where I'm from its a big epidemic. Anyways needless to say I warned her. It took 2 nurses and a half hour to get 10 small viles of blood they ended using both of my hands since I never hit them.

When it was over the nurse said "if I ever see u again I'm running for the hills" she was joking and made pretty light of the whole ordeal.
Posted: October 18, 2016, 2:04 PM

Nice WQ...I know they're are some good people ...docs...nurses...etc...still out there...and I've met a few over the years...unfortunately though. ..most judge..and it makes it all even harder sometimes to go get help when you need it ....glad u got some good docs for you and your baby !
Posted: October 26, 2016, 3:19 AM

Please go to the hospital as i was misdiagnosed and given a weeks worth of antibiotics..by the 8th day i was climbing the walls..my husband rushed me to A&E and i had a huge abcess in my groin that had to be surgically removed..if in doubt go straight to hospital x
Posted: October 26, 2016, 4:50 AM

Thank you Ex,nuro.plus. but I am fine now, all symptoms are gone and feeling just fine ... of course i have another kind of problems but those are connected to my trying to stay clean and not using heroin but that is another story :)
Posted: October 29, 2016, 2:00 AM

Glad you are feeling better Bonnie! I have a suggestion...and it is just a suggestion! I think you should tell your doctor. I know you said he is proud of you and your progress over the past years and that is great! However, a huge problem with us addicts (yes, I am one too! :)) is lying and pretending things are okay when they, in fact, are not!

I would bet anything that your doctor would be very proud of you if you fessed up and were honest about what is happening with you. Any doctor who treats addiction expects bumps in the road! I think your honesty in the face of this last relapse would probably impress him more than all your clean time combined!!! Secrets keep us sick and using...even if we think we can just sweep it under the rug, it has a way of eating at our soul!

Just something to think about.......
Posted: October 29, 2016, 1:02 PM

Lolleedee truth is out lol he got letter from hospital I was in explaining everything, he is not just doctor who gives me methadone but he is my Gp which means he treats me from everything and anything anyway I was at his surgery the other day with my partner to pick up his prescription for blood pressure and when he saw me he came out just to say Bon Bon Bonnie we need to talk ,I got letter from Surrey hospital , I was like ohhh s*** , he made me appointment for next week to examine groin and leg which is great cccos I still have slight problem with left calf after walking it gets swollen . Thing is I am very good at hiding stuff , so far after 20 years of addiction nobody but my partner knows about it, I never told my family, why I would tell them to hurt them like that ... better for them not to know , where I work they dont know of course, i been successfully feeding my habit, enjoying lifestyle while holding job and having "normal life" so you see it never came out that something is wrong with me. My friends are clueless, they all smoke weed and drink vine with dinner or when we go out , we did use ecstasy years and years ago when we was clubbing but not these days ( old?) I always thought its better for them to to be involved in this s*** , they couldnt help me until I wanted and when I wanted to stop I wanted to be left alone , last thing I needed/need is people fussing around me, I thought I am protecting them on this way.
Posted: January 31, 2017, 1:03 AM

Hi Bonnie...sounds just like me, nobody needed to know cuz I never made it a problem....successful job, held my own....always had a small mountain of heroin at my disposal, my biggest fear in life is watching my mountain become a hill...i must make it a mountain again to have inner peace...but very few times in my 15 year heroin addiction career have I been sick, all of this is very bad...especially if one must hit the proverbial "rock bottom" to get clean....my beautiful house, my expensive car...all oaid off. Please know that i'm nit bragging...just giving u background on me....please help...i'm tired of not being able to travel anywhere, and the fear of sick.
Posted: January 31, 2017, 1:04 AM

Thinking of ibogaine....
Posted: January 31, 2017, 9:11 AM

Hi Lee , welcome , i never tried Ibogaine i heard about it mostly from articles but don't know 1 person who done it.. hope it works for you and if you go trough this pls pls let us know about your experience in details.. become clean in 1 night and then not have desire to use, its wish come trough ! I asked about it here but never got reply from person who said it tried . I am on methadone currently 35 mills didnt use for just over 3 months and before my last mishap which was when i posted this i was clean for 2 years.. battling daily with my monkey , ravings comes and goes (usually last for 1 min or less) on some days i even know to pick up cell phone and call but i dont go to get it , i am looking for excuse to use and cant find any lol sad situation but as i said i am trying my best..
Posted: February 10, 2017, 12:12 PM

Please go to the nearest clinic and check your condition. It's really dangerous and hamper for your life. Please don't late, go hurry.
Posted: February 10, 2017, 1:49 PM

AWalton if you look at the date on my post you will see it was long time ago lol thank you I a fine now, it took me day or 2 longer to recover :)
  top of page  Top