next >  post replypost new topic
Healthcare In Us That Covers Suboxone?

Posted: March 18, 2014, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know of a Healthcare plan in the US that covers at least some of the cost of suboxone? My son can't afford Healthcare insurance because he's paying so much for the sub!

Thanks!
Susan

--------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attributed)

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, you have never been in bed with a mosquito." Anita Roddick

Posted: March 25, 2014, 6:55 PM
Susan,
sorry it took me so long to get back to you,

I have Anthem Blue Cross and they now will treat addiction and now they even cover methadone maintenance. It is covered under their Mental Health and Substance Abuse (chemical dependency) Services. You will need to check further into how that works but it may be something that can help.

Good luck!

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: March 28, 2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks so much for the reply, Granny! Here's what I found...

On Healthcare.gov I found a policy that will cost my son about $225/month. (I wasn't able to get an actual quote for a smoker because they don't post that on the site). There is no deductible to be met for prescriptions, and the co-pay is just $45/month for a month supply. It is through Highmark and the plan is called Flex Blue PPO 1000 Community Blue Plan. With what he was paying for suboxone and his doctor visit per month, he will be paying about the same amount and getting health coverage. This is GREAT because he has been letting some of his health issues go because of money.

Another GREAT thing about it is they can't refuse you for pre-existing!!!!

I hope this helps others in the same predictament. Please verify the information before you take out a plan, but this is what I was told on live chat with Highmark.

--------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attributed)

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, you have never been in bed with a mosquito." Anita Roddick

Posted: March 29, 2014, 8:49 PM
Hey Susan,
I am glad you were able to find something that helps your son, and it sounds like he'll have a lot more than he asked for! Very cool.

My insurance ,just for ME is like $650. but I did not tell my insurance about my addiction because I knew they would charge me up the ying yang. BIG MISTAKE, but I cant change it now. Too bad because they would totally pay for my MMT.
I was told by numerous people to tell them when I applied (April 2012) and I didn't.
To make a long story short make sure when ANYONE applies for insurance be honest about any meds you are on too. Back when I applied none of the companies dealt with addiction related issues so it is great to see it now.

--------------------

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: March 30, 2014, 2:34 PM
The ONE good thing that came from National Healthcare is that they can't refuse to cover you due to a pre-existing condition and they can't charge you an arm and a leg because of it either. They do, however, ask if you smoke, which he does, and it only increased his from $225/mo to $229.63/mo. There were cheaper ones, but the deductible was higher and he doesn't have the reserves to get him to the deductible, so we were very pleased to get this one! It only has $1,000 deductible (the lowest available). He will probably be putting out a tiny bit less than he was with paying for his doctor and suboxone (and his pharmacist was giving him the BEST POSSIBLE price because he likes my son and wanted to help him), and he has gained having security of knowing that if he has to go to the hospital (God forbid) that he won't be charged $4,000! His suboxone will cost him $45/month and his doctor will now cody him $25 instead of $60! We're VERY pleased! :)

--------------------

Posted: March 30, 2014, 2:39 PM
P.S. The website is Healthcare.gov and you can check out the plans there very easily

Because of the March 31st deadline, both the website and phones are OVERLOADED!!!! I finally got through on the phone and the girl who assisted me was VERY PLEASANT and VERY HELPFUL (Ebony Jones). She told me that at time I called, there were 6,000 calls on hold!!!! I had to hold for over 30 minutes to get through. it couldn't hurt to see if you qualify if it could save you some money. There is assistance/reduced payments for people who qualify financially.

--------------------

Posted: March 30, 2014, 3:03 PM
Susan? Forget my Politics aside. Please make sure YOU read the entire policy AND is it in your name or your son? The government will tell you anything you want to hear but reality is unless you meet certain requirements the cost is ?? Whatever eases the stress of not having Insurance is key--Also Medicaid medicare advantage and medicare are three different animals--Susan if you did sign for affordable care or any insurance GET PROOF that you paid for it COPY OF YIOUR CHECK--and your networks of doctors and network/Preffered for medications--Its confusing but we have to do whatever is in front of us TODAY--it will get better --

Hope things are cool--Jeff

PS--There is no deadline anymore Susan----Thats the 38th change of OBAMACARE--LOL--

This post has been edited by Suboxman on March 30, 2014, 3:04 PM

--------------------
It is Just Not worth it.

"Inside every older person is a younger person
wondering what the puck happened."

One Day At A Time

Posted: March 30, 2014, 11:19 PM
hey susan,
My insurance is so expensive because of my age I'd guess...I will be 61 in June. I had anthem since 2012, started at 640 and it went up and down like 4 times now I'm back at $600.+
Good for your son to get such a great price!!!

--------------------

Nancy

Posted: September 10, 2014, 10:50 PM
try Humana, but you have to have prior authorization every month!
Little Sisiter

Posted: November 25, 2014, 12:53 PM
Hi Ladies! I just now ran across your posts and wanted to let you know that there are Suboxone Coupons you can find online that my Safeway Pharmacy in WA State accepts with no problem. I pay $25 a month for #60 of the 8/2 mg strips. The coupons are valid for 6 months.

I too have Anthem Blue Cross of Washington; my Psychiatrist, after insurance pays him charges a copay of $38.00. I've been seeing him now for about 5 years, but now that the pre-existing clause is not a problem, maybe the coupons will work for you, too. The Doc may have access to the coupons as well, or can request some for his patients.

Good luck to you! it was a real life-saver for me; and the coupons make it so I can eat! :)
Becca

Posted: January 3, 2015, 6:06 AM
I have Insurance through my job that doesn't pay for my medicine at all or the doctor visit. I need help! I'm paying full price for my medicine plus $28o for the visit. I'm broke every month and I don't know what to do bc I need my medicine. It's helped me turn my life around except for the fact my broke every month. I have cvs caremark through my job and they stopped paying January 2014. They want my doctor to prescribed the generic zubsolv. My doctor doesnt and won't prescribe the generic so I'm screwed. What can I do?!? What Insurance will pay for suboxone?

Posted: January 3, 2015, 10:46 AM
Becca:

Are you attending NA meetings?

Bob

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: January 6, 2015, 9:31 PM
Thanks all for your posts!

I don't know where you are Becca, but my son's healthcare coverage - Highmark Blue Shield Flex Blue 1000 Plan has been WONDERFUL! There is a $45 co-pay for a month's supply of suboxone, and so with the $60/month coupon he gets it FREE!!!! So he's paying less for his healthcare than he paid per month for the suboxone, and he now has healthcare! Thank God for that because he had a hernia and recently (December) had surgery on that!

Good luck!
Susan

--------------------

cara

Posted: February 12, 2015, 1:28 AM
I think if you were "allergic" to all of the generic meds your insurance would have to pay for the only one you don't have an allergy to. Do you get what I'm saying here?
jamiecurious

Posted: February 13, 2015, 1:30 PM
This is to little sister, can you tell me where to get the coupon, I recently had an insurance prescription plan change he at work cvs caremark and they wont cover the strips at all, They pushed me to subzolv and it sucks and is more expensive.. I would really appreciate the chance to talk to you more about it.

***please do not post personal contact information. Thank you.***

- the moderators

This post has been edited by moderator on February 13, 2015, 5:12 PM
Pete4989

Posted: July 27, 2015, 9:55 AM
sent my final Appeal to the final review appeal board few weeks back to cover my suboxone films and thank god I just gotta respond back from them in a letter that they are going to cover the films now,was taking Roxane brand flipping hated it,horrible sick feeling, then zubsolv and was doing nothing in comparison to the films,very thankful,not sure what my copay is going to be probobaly around 40$
DB

Posted: November 6, 2015, 5:19 PM
Hi, can anyone recommend a plan to cover suboxone in Northern California? All the insurance plans have changed for 2016 and we are so confused as to which one can give us the best value to cover the cost of the monthly supply without all the headaches of every 3 months testing required for my 26 yo. Thanks for the help.

Posted: November 11, 2015, 9:52 PM
Wow......
you guys are SO lucky... Here in Massachusetts- all insurance is incredibly expensive. My partner is on COBRA right now (which is just a temporary thing until your permanent insurance gets into place) and we pay $799/month just for him. And- that's only half payment, his company is paying the other half. He'll be switching over to Medicare but not for another six to seven months so this is the interim coverage. They don't cover any mental / addiction issues as it is just a temporary bridge type of thing- but still. For eight hundy a month, I feel like it really oughta come out and do my windows too... Know what I mean?

Wishing all the best to Susan & Granny and all the others here too- and hoping that you get what you need. It's so incredibly important when someone finally comes to the realization that they need help- that they are actually ABLE to get it. I'm so sincerely glad we've got a place like this where we can all find each other and commiserate like this about things that the "general public" either would frown upon or we'd be totally misunderstood for something else. I'm so pleased and happy that a site like this EVEN exists where "Like" can find "Like" and there is no judgment and no shade being thrown on anyone. I say Huzzah to this site as it's helped so many already and is doing the same for me and many others I know... I am so very happy & blessed to have this resource at my fingertips and am so pleased to meet new friends (partners in crime (if u will :-)). MUAH!
OL
mike

Posted: January 29, 2016, 8:48 PM
I just got a script filled in Illinois for 8mg suboxone I have madicaid insurance threw the state when I droped it off the pharmacist said he has 4 others with state insurance and they have never been filled through insurance. My Dr said we would have to do a lot of foot work and hopefully get insurance to pay well anyway 2days after I turned it in I called to see if they could work with me until insurance approval and they said it was already approved from my insurance to come pick it up there was a 3$ copay. maybe somethings changed the beginning of the year Hope others find a way to get what they need to stay healthy at reasonable price
ozemaarnold

Posted: March 8, 2016, 11:31 PM
I'm trying to find insurance that covers this the insurance I have doesn't cover it because the doctor himself doesn't accept blue cross blue shield of MS. So how can I find insurance that covers this.
post replypost new topic