next >  post replypost new topic
Medication For Coke Addiction

Posted: February 16, 2006, 2:47 PM
Hi everyone,
Has anyone on this board tried gabitrol or any other medication designed to fight cocaine addiction? I've read the descriptions of the drugs but would like to hear some personal experiences/opinions.

Posted: February 16, 2006, 4:18 PM
Look at the bottom of this page.
In the "Search Forums" slot, type Gabitrol and see the numerous results that pop up.

:)

--------------------
A bit of brains, lots of heart

Posted: February 16, 2006, 7:11 PM
Blueskies hello

I have just read your thread, i dont understand why cocaine addicts have to take medication for abuseing cocaine i am a little confused!!!!!

This post has been edited by emilyajb on February 16, 2006, 7:12 PM

--------------------
When God made me he was showing off

Posted: February 17, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hi emily,
There have been studies on several drugs that may help curb/block the chemical effects of drug use. For example, "Nocaine" is a weaker version of cocaine, similar to the patch that smokers use to quit smoking. Although it sounds great, I have to wonder about possible long-term effects. That's why I asked for anyone to share their personal experiences.
Thanks.

Posted: February 17, 2006, 12:54 PM
Do you have a link to results of the Phase I studies on Nocaine?

--------------------
A bit of brains, lots of heart

Posted: February 17, 2006, 1:17 PM
Blueskies Hello again

When i read your thread i had to start a new one so it did not invade your thread.

When you asked about meds for cocaine i could not understand why someone would take something else.(addictive or not)

The reason i was most proberly thinking this way is beause i did not think there was any medication for coke withdrawals/cravings.
I was told at detox that there was nothing.

I hope you find what your looking for blueskies stay safe

--------------------
When God made me he was showing off

Posted: February 17, 2006, 2:51 PM
Toughlove: sorry I dont. I just read the description of Nocaine in the "Addiction Medication" tab above.

Posted: March 7, 2006, 8:59 AM
Hi blueskies,

How are you feeling today?

The thing that people need to understand is that you do usually need something to replace what has been taken away and gradually reduce the dosage. Unless you have an iron will, and lets face it, very few of us have! (I am a doctor and am self-medicating so have it all on tap which is really harming my recovery but i am not strong enough to stop yet, despite having cancer 3 times at such a young age but it is ice in my veins)

I have been an addict since i was 12 and i am now 30. I am getting better but am nowhere near where i want to be, need to be or should be. I am solvent and have all the support that i could wish for so really there are no excuses. It is really difficult when you hold a responsible job and noone seems to notice that you have a problem.

I think you will find that it is only when you have a life changing event or find out that "you are going to die unless you stop today" that you are really be able turn your life around.

My problem is that i have an unlimited income and my husband is a doctor and does not seem to recognise my problem - despite talking to him and being told i am attention seeking. If you have no real responsibilities and unlimited cash it will aid your addiction.

It is becoming increasingly hard to continue making excuses as to why i am not ready to start a family, but it would be unfair for any child to be raised by me until i am clean. It is such a shame that i know what to do to get away from this and know how i would advise others but cant find the impetus to get there by myself.

I hope everyone is having a happy day and remember it is never too late to turn your life around (smile) x

It is definitely true that you can only stop when YOU want to and when YOU are ready.

Blueskies, are you an addict or supporting someone else who has a problem?
MUPHY

Posted: May 16, 2006, 7:24 AM
What damage can crack do

Posted: February 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
man oh man powder cocaine had me hooked I'm am thankful to be in a rehab today. If anyone has some advice for me today, please do not hesitate to write me thank you and God bless!!!!!!!!!

Posted: February 18, 2007, 3:29 AM
Lilathugga

Obviously I can only share with you what is currently working for me. My plan for recovery involves two main things.

Firstly I have reconnected with God (call it a higher power if you wish, I chose to call mine God and believe without hesitation in His existence). With that belief I have found something stronger than both myself and my addiction, through his guidance I have found self worth and acceptance.

Secondly my involvement in a 12 step group (I have personally found NA to be of the greatest benefit for me but that is a personal choice) however, in my opinion, simply attending the odd meeting is not sufficient and in fact it was not until I started following the suggestions did I start to accumulate some clean time.

Those suggestions included attending a lot of meetings (suggested 90 meetings in your first 90 days) getting involved in service work, getting a sponsor and most importantly working the steps.

For me while NA provides an opportunity to stay clean, fellowship, a sense of belonging and for the first time in my life a group of real friends the steps provide a way for recovery from drug use and the pervasive underlying issues that generally accompany substance abuse.

Posting on this board has also helped me immeasurably.

I hope you keep posting and realize that while there will certainly be struggles the disease of addiction CAN be treated.

God bless.

--------------------
Wolf
Parts Of My Story Can Be Read At:
http://www.wastednetwork.com/wn_for...display.php?f=7

Posted: February 18, 2007, 11:02 AM
Call me crazy, but I dont think I was EVER physically addicted to cocaine.

For me it was all a mental thing. I dont see how you could take something to get off cocaine? That makes no sence to me.

Does that sound crazy? I mean I never was physically "sick" because i could sniff a line.

I am over 2 years clean now and my life has done a complete turn around!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone out there struggling! You can do it! Stay strong.

Posted: February 18, 2007, 1:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I became physically addicted after 28 years of using....I would get flu-like symptoms about 4:00 pm on a daily basis, if I didn't get my stuff and just drank I would still have those symptoms...maybe it was something my Dealer(s) cut it with...I'm not sure though, but I remember that still happening until I was about 4 months clean of cocaine. Just wanted to share my experience.

--------------------
Peace & Serenity, VWGirl

Posted: February 19, 2007, 3:50 AM
While, for me, cocaine was more of a psychological addiction and physically was a lot easier to withdraw from then morphine (God that was awful) I do believe that the process of withdrawal from cocaine had a physical symptomatology such as fatigue or extreme sleepiness and weakness.

By the way, just to address the original post on this thread, they came out with something a long time ago that not only helps with cocaine addiction but all substance abuse....it's called abstinence and while that may sound glib I urge you think about the simplicity of it.

God bless.

--------------------
Wolf
Parts Of My Story Can Be Read At:
http://www.wastednetwork.com/wn_for...display.php?f=7

Posted: February 19, 2007, 8:16 AM
I was addicted to Cocaine for 10 years. In the U.K there is no meds that you can take, due to the fact that there are no physical problems during withdrawal. However dopamine levels in the brain are all over the place and it can take 6 months to a year for that to sort its self out.

I used to cry for no reason all the time. Then started to get depressed, and agoraphobic. So make sure you are aware of this and stop yourself from getting depressed. Don’t do depressing things! Like sleeping all day, and staying up all night. Stay away from alcohol as that just makes you feel more depressed. Try a web site called Habitsmart it has good info on addiction and depression.

Good luck stick with it!

Posted: February 26, 2007, 5:14 PM
i don't believe there is any thing that helps but a loving support system and pure will.....we as humans are really neat beings. to even be addicted is something not good mind you but amazing. Sugar and lots to drink no booze helps.

love light and energy
kayklove

Posted: February 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
I was placed on Wellbutrin & Baclofen in treatment. I am continuing to take both. I take the Baclofen, which according to my phychiatrist, is to make the cravings easier to get through, three times per day. Seems to be working fine.

Posted: August 17, 2007, 5:42 PM
i never really thought of needing anything to get off coke until now.i've been an addict since i was 12,i'm 46 now,been clean for 4years on methodone.my problem used to be heroin ,just this year i started dabbling with crack cocaine and now i see whywe do need something to help with the detox part.....i live on an island ,BERMUDA and i'm in an program, but here they don't have anything for cocaine addicts thats why the relapse statistics are high here .nowhere to go and everyone of your friends are addicts or used to be......its so hard to stay cleaN 4 LIFE YA KNOW?MY QUESTION IS THESE DRUGS FOR COCAINE ABUSE DO THEY WORK ??????

Posted: November 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
fk rehab just stop i did had 1 ounce week habit .live or die .eat xanax 2 mg bar sedate yeah keep yeah from calling your pal .plus your nose fell alot better . been there done that just stop.it worked for me .
phanomanom

Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:40 PM
<post removed>

This post has been edited by moderator on December 12, 2007, 4:40 PM
post replypost new topic