post replypost new topic
Motivation To Keep Sober
BeXSteaD

Posted: November 14, 2020, 8:26 PM
Hey,

I was 7 years sober from Alcohol since Sept 2019. I have knowledge on things to help me cope but Im struggling with motivation to do those things. Anyone have tips on how to get through that hurtle?

Posted: November 16, 2020, 6:05 AM
Hi you can AA attend online meetings . Do daily readings and recovery work and offer your help to someone who is in worse condition than yourself. It is a WE program . Check out stepchat.com , you might find some encouragement and inspiration there .. take care and stay safe

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: November 29, 2020, 5:08 PM
“I have knowledge on things to help me cope but I’m struggling with motivation to do those things.”

Every decision we make involves both knowledge/intellect as well as emotion/feelings. The only thing that differs from decision to decision is the degree of intellect or the degree of emotion needed to carry thru with that decision. Sometimes they may balance and other times we may need to rely more on one than the other to carry on. In the aspect of staying sober my personal belief is that although “knowledge of our condition” is a necessary part of sobriety the emotional part is of more importance.
The word “emotion” comes from the Latin root meaning “to move.” Emotion is what moves/motivates us. For example the emotion of fear motivates flight or fight responses.
Seven years is a long time. Most people in recovery find that after a time the emotion connected to being sober begins to weaken. That’s normal in most aspects of life. The trick is to re-kindle those early sobriety emotions/feelings. For my-self this is done by re-establishing that sense of belonging I had in the first years I of my recovery. I do this by getting “involved with groups like this and people like your-self.

Posted: December 21, 2020, 6:26 AM
Hi Dave. I just noticed this post.. Thank you for sharing.. stay safe in all ways..

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: December 21, 2020, 9:56 AM
I try to lift other people up when I can and I listen to a lot of positive radio when in vehicle and attend church when I can too. it always feels better to give than receive
post replypost new topic