Depression
tryingtokeepthefaith
Posted: September 30, 2018, 5:00 AM

when in early recovery, how did you deal with the depression, guilt, shame?
I have a loved one out of rehab a week and has crippling depression. Talks about this and the guild and shame being overwhelming.
I am seeing a steady decline in his state of mind.
He is putting himself in dangerous situations by going to sports bars to watch football games. Says he is spiritually fit and won't drink.
Stated he has started self harming again to cope with the depression, etc.
I don't know what to do or say. I live in a different state.
My counselor told me not to give advise to just listen.
He is no longer working out or eating healthy either like he was in treatment.
Posted: October 2, 2018, 8:29 AM

How did I deal with depression, guilt and shame? i went to AA, got a sponsor and worked the 12 steps of AA - and continue to do the suggested things one day at a time.

i am over 9 years sober - happy joyous and free

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.
Overfifty55
Posted: October 2, 2018, 9:45 AM

Good morning:). I’m sorry your going through this. Maybe you should make an appointment with your doctor. Getting professional help gave Me peace of mind. Over and above anything else.
Posted: October 2, 2018, 8:11 PM

hi. I had to get professional help and lots of it to help me get past my shame, guilt ,depression and other issues I had going on. In combination with that I also became a member of AA, worked the 12 step program with a sponsor and to date I have 8 years of sobriety..

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need
  top of page  Top