post replypost new topic
Alcoholism Side Effects-how Before They Kicked In

Posted: March 28, 2018, 2:55 AM
Know someone who has been drinking daily for around 20 years along with some other things. They now have high blood pressure, had small strokes, diabetes,gout, joint swelling, along with some other issues. The binge drank for about 10 years prior. Those issues don't match family history. Actually those issues became prominent at about the 15 year mark.

How long did it take for the adverse affects of alcoholism to affect yourself or others?

Posted: July 21, 2019, 4:02 PM
Everybody is different and not everyone suffers from alcoholism-related diseases. While I am not a medical expert, I see no diseases in your list that I can say that there is at least an indirect causal relationship. I can say that since alcohol is made from sugar, that there is some unconverted sugar in alcoholic products that is not good for a diabetic, but I doubt the diabetes was caused by alcoholism.

Posted: January 24, 2020, 11:12 AM
It's probably best to leave medical prognoses to those equipped to address them. Some AAs, even after being sober a number of years suffer consequences of a badly burned system.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.

Posted: April 12, 2020, 9:18 AM
I had a pain in my right side and went to the doctor. I had also been drinking for 19 years at that point.

Liver test came back a bit raised but after a month of no drinking it was down to normal.

I stupidly drank again and a few months later a 3rd test showed a little raised. Same again fine on the 4th test and then stopped for a bit longe.

I did drink again but was fine for bout 4 months and took a test just to see and it came back fine. That was a year ago.

Toyed with quitting several time and can usually manage 6 or 7 weeks. Bars being shut is helping just now as I did all my drinking in bars and not the house.

take care
post replypost new topic