post replypost new topic
Fluttering Sensation
rosie

Posted: December 28, 2017, 12:18 PM
I drink everyday and have anxiety. I am usually ok for most of the day, not wanting a drink.
But I get fluttering sensation in my chest and stomach which I put down to both alcohol withdrawal and anxiety. Is this correct? Do other people get that? I dont get shakes or anything just that and a dull sensation in my head.

Posted: January 2, 2018, 10:37 AM
hi Rosie welcome to the board. I think I know the feeling of which you write about. If so that is a form of anxiety and is common among alcoholics. There is a solution to your problem if you are willing to seek help for your addiction. I would assume you are looking for some help if you are on this board. I first came here in 2008 and it has been a life saver for me as I received a lot of help from people who had experienced the same things as I did and who understood me. It has slowed down some over the years as people have moved on to other internet sites and fb but there is still a few of us who are willing to help you if you continue to come here. Hope to see you post again.....

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need
rosie

Posted: January 4, 2018, 4:57 AM
Hi Pirate

thanks for replying. i think my problem is that i dont really want to stop just severely cut down but maybe i am kidding myself? i have cut down the last few days, new year and all, but have had severe insomnia!! i have asked for help at my GP to no real avail, they referred me to somewhere for help with anxiety to be told while i was still drinking so much they could not do anything! anxiety alcohol disorder and they cannot help?? as i said i can stop for hours but once i start i keep going. the thing is i dont feel anxious but as i said i get this fluttering sensation from first thing and palpitations which i ignore for most of the day but then it gets to about 5 and i think i may as well have a drink because i am going to later anyway. another thing is it normal to get itching around my chest? thanks for listening

Posted: January 8, 2018, 6:38 AM
Hi Rosie
What you are feeling is normal ---- for an alcoholic. Yep big scary word isn't it.

But as a middle-class woman, who worked in professional jobs all my life, at 39 I finally had to face the fact that's what i was.

I couldn't even put a name to what I was feeling. That stuff you are describing? I didn't know that was anxiety caused by alcoholism. I hated tht feeling, but hey a drink would make it go away. problem was, it didn't stop at just one drink. Eventually I had to admit I was out of control, but that took a few years.

i didn't want to stop either, like you wanted to cut back. Unfortunately, if you are a real alcholic, like me, cutting back is simply not a long term option. i had to accept my alcoholism and accept that meant no more drinking. But the good news is I get to do that one day at a time. And have been now for 8.5 years.

You can too Rosie - hope you come back to the board.
Idgie

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.
rosie

Posted: January 11, 2018, 8:40 AM
Hi Idgie

thanks for your reply

did you also get symptoms in your head a sort of pulsating sensation and constant fuzziness?

thanks

Posted: January 15, 2018, 5:12 AM
Hi Rosie
Alcohol affects the central nervous system - if you drink alcoholically then you are really giving your CNS a hammering. So when you stop your CNS is going to start screaming at you. The symptoms and reactions will vary considerably from person to person. Withdrawing and then not drinking will affect everyone differently.

However, that fuzzy thinking is quite common. I used to see things out of the corner of my eyes, things that weren't there - bugs and stuff, that went on for about 18 months - but did eventually settle down.

Its just something we have to go through, a part of getting sober.
Idgie

--------------------

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.
rosie

Posted: January 22, 2018, 2:09 PM
Hi Idgie

Thanks for your response.

I think a lot is to do with the anxiety which is not helped by stuff I read online about withdrawal. I don't know if my feelings/symptoms are from anxiety or withdrawal. They say it is dangerous to go cold turkey and I am not getting any help from the doctors. A lot is to do with boredom and also the fact that once I open the bottle of wine I do not have the will power to not finish it and then it starts with another one.

Posted: January 30, 2018, 6:51 AM
Hi Rosie
Its sounds to me as though you are suffering from analysis paralysis. Anxiety/drinking or not drinking, which comes first the chicken or the egg. in the end it doesn't really matter - fact is if you want to stop drinking you'll have to learn to manage it.

If you are going to live without alcohol you are going to need some alternate coping mechanisms. the thought of not having your crutch is probably greatly contributing to your anxiety whether you realise it or not.

Strongly suggest you get some face to face support.
The fact that you open a bottle and can't stop drinking suggests to me that you may well be an alcoholic.

2 questions for you.
If, when you honestly want to can you stop drinking and stay stopped?
If when you do drink are you able to control the amount you drink?

If you answer no to both those questions then you are probably an alcoholic. Keep coming back. Hugs to you and support
Idgie

--------------------

Posted: February 1, 2018, 3:14 PM
Hi Rosie. How are you doing?

--------------------
Rosie

Posted: April 22, 2018, 12:27 PM
Hi

well I am almost 2 weeks no alcohol or cigarettes!!! no withdrawal symptoms which was great as that is what i was worried about.

I still have the funny sensation and pulsating in my head but maybe it takes more time to go??

Not sleeping great but trying to stay awake during the day not to make it worse at night.

Only real problem is bored!! I dont do sport and dont have any hobbies. Drinking was my hobby.
I just watch DVDs but am used to having a glass of wine with them so bit tricky!!

Apart from that feel OK and glad I had no symptoms.

Posted: April 22, 2018, 8:08 PM
HI Rosie. Happy to read that you are doing so well. That is quite the accomplishment . Yes it is boring first when we give up the drink. I was the same way , I didnt have any hobbies either but I started one just so my hands would be busy. I sewed a quilt by hand , for starters I didnt know how to sew or stitch much but once I got the hang of it by watching utube videos on how to do it I went ahead and did it. Was a sorry looking quilt but it kept me busy, occupied and I enjoyed listening to music and recovery videos while I worked on it. I went on to make 3 others . Maybe you have a talent that you are not yet aware of ..try out your skills see what you will find. You may surprise yourself. Good luck Rosie you can do this !

--------------------

Posted: April 29, 2018, 3:27 AM
What you are feeling is common among alcoholics

--------------------
yahoo mail sign up help, json formatter online
Rosie

Posted: April 30, 2018, 7:33 AM
Hi Megryan

thank you for posting but can you be more specific as to what you were referring to??

thanks

Posted: May 4, 2018, 10:53 AM
Hi, Rosie.
I learned in recovering that I am not very good at giving advice, but I CAN share my experience. When I started taking my alcoholism seriously I found myself on this board and attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings because those were the ONLY two places where I got real, no-BS suggestions on how to quit drinking.
I am not a doctor, but played with my health for years. I nearly died knowing everything. Make an appointment to see a doctor and be honest about your drinking, what you are experiencing, and ask for recovery suggestions.
My body was badly abused, malnourish, burned from daily drinking and I could not fix me.
Keep coming back. There IS a solution and sober living is far more rewarding with less consequences.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
maryalice

Posted: May 14, 2018, 10:50 PM
what your describing may be acid indigestion.
post replypost new topic