Do I Have A Problem
Posted: October 8, 2017, 8:35 PM

Hi, I am not sure whether or not I should be concerned . My family has a lot of alcoholics so I don't want to be one of them, however I feel like I do have some depentcy. I drink ones a week, sometimes twice. Some times I drink ones in two weeks but never could go without having a drink for more than 3 weeks. When I drink , I can't have one or two . It is always 6-7 beers or 4 glasses of wine. When I shred it with my doctor , he laughed and said that I was silly to think I drink too much. But why do I crave it then? I think I have a problem but nobody around does. Please help. Amy feedback is appreciated.
soberturtle
Posted: October 12, 2017, 6:57 AM

normal people do not ask themselves if they have a problem
Posted: October 12, 2017, 7:25 AM

I agree with the other respondent - if you are questioning yourself then there is probably a problem.

Alcoholism has NOTHING to do really with quantity consumed. Its to do with how alcohol affects you.

Only 2 questions matter.

1. If, when you really want to, can you stop drinking and stay stopped?

2. When you do drink do you often have little control over how many drinks you have, once you start drinking?

Alcoholics have an obsession of the mind - which means they can't stay away from that first drink.
They also have a bio-chemical anomaly (in AA its call the "phenomenon of craving") which is triggered by putting alcohol in your body - so that you have difficulty controlling your intake once you begin to drink.

Most normal drinker's do not understand alcoholism at all, so asking a normal, or social drinker if you have a problem is probably not going to be terribly helpful. Also, alcoholism is a progressive illness.....your consumption and drinking habits will worsen over the years if you are indeed an alcoholic.

Things for you to ponder.
Idgie

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.
  top of page  Top