post replypost new topic
Is Down-regulation Permanent?

Posted: July 13, 2015, 8:35 PM
Is down-regulation of opiate receptors permanent?

Posted: August 8, 2015, 10:37 PM
I guess I need to investigate more about the term "down regulation."

I know that your tolerance to opiates drops fairly quickly. I've had several friends overdose accidentally and die, because they were clean for say 60-90 days and relapsed. They thought they could just pick right up and use the same amount they were using when they stopped.

I've been sober for a little over 22 mos and I have had no reason to take an opiate. At this point, if I was in dire pain, I would expect the average dose to help me. For months my enjoyment of life was quite altered, but my pleasure centers bounced back within about 6 months.

--------------------
" Many times I sought the lighthouse
The familiar beam in the dark
Looking for the comfort
Radiating from its spark;
Today I turn that inward
No longer am I the seeker
I am not just the lighthouse
I am the light -
And lighthouse keeper. "

Posted: August 9, 2015, 2:28 AM
I've been wondering what this means.....asking if certain receptors shut down for good???

Posted: August 11, 2015, 8:54 AM
the reason i ask is ive been clean for 15 months and i still think my pleasure centers are damaged?

i cant enjoy alcohol anymore, theres no buzz or euphoria. i think opiates have damaged the pleasure centers

Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:32 PM
Well I still don't fully understand the term, but think understand what your saying. I would think you would on another drug (alcohol) included. But maybe not in other areas that naturally raise your dopamine and other endorphins. Doing anything you would typically get any form of enjoyment/good feeling from. What were you taking and for how long? Are you on any medications?

Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:42 PM
I took Tramadol for 7 months

I'm taking no other medication

I have no other side effects, just drink not working

Posted: August 11, 2015, 1:07 PM
Yeah I'm completely clueless then....I don't know how much you are drinking, and if you drank while on tramadol, maybe then your looking for the effect the two combined?

Posted: August 11, 2015, 7:44 PM
for the first 2 months of taking tramadol, alcohol still worked (on the days i didnt take tramadol of course, NEVER mix)

once i got a tolerance to tramadol and took more, alcohol then stopped working

Posted: December 26, 2016, 3:58 PM
@blake177, do you still have this issue? I am currently experiencing the same problem 7 months after stopping.

@Persephone, were you on any medication during this recovery period?

This post has been edited by ieatchocolate on December 26, 2016, 3:59 PM

Posted: December 31, 2016, 12:19 PM
Not sure about the term. if you mean what I think you do, it's horses for courses. longer for some, shorter for others. I got 17 yrs sober (so far) and have only recently found "Family Guy" again. Perhaps I'm just toooo damned old.
post replypost new topic